_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian Rebel T-55 Build-Log
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 04:41 PM UTC
So as previously discussed I've had a slight change of heart on the figure front. The guys in the hatches were just too 'awkward' and I wasn't feeling great about how they looked. Instead I came across this guy who I'd half painted a year or so ago for yet another one of my unfinished builds, a similar theme of a 'Rebel' M113 in Libya.

This is how I found him:

Not happy with what I'd accomplished previously I broke out the oven cleaner and stripped him back to basics. I then also tweaked his armament and associated ammo pouches into something a bit different but surprisingly 100% accurate:

He's the standing figure from the Masterbox set I used for the other figures but with a Hornet head. Yes, the sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed that he's holding not an AK-47 but an STG 44!

WHAT!
WHO!
HOW!
WHERE!

Yep it's true:

Cool ey?

Apparently the story is that they 'captured' a sea container full of them in a port somewhere, apparently due to be shipped overseas. Initially they thought they had AK-47's but somehow they must have found ammo to fit and pressed them into action!
The source of them is unclear but I believe they were probably captured stocks donated by Russia after WW2 as Syria also received German tanks such as Pz IV and Jagdpanzer IV's. Where they were getting shipped to is anyone's guess but I heard maybe it was to be sold on to collectors as these thing fetch a high price I believe.

Anyway makes for an interesting twist on the build. Will have to try and get some paint on this guy now!

Cheers,

James
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hi James,

Cool looking rebel you got there!!Were ohh were do you find all the cooling looking photos of the civil war stuff!!

Cheers Mike
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:16 PM UTC
James, very interesting

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James,

Cool looking rebel you got there!!Were ohh were do you find all the cooling looking photos of the civil war stuff!!

Cheers Mike

Thanks mate,

Just google really. There are some good blogs out there for inspiration too such as 'Military in the Middle east' which are always worth going through for inspiration.

Quoted Text

James, very interesting

Cheers Bob, that's how I like my builds - always something a bit different!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hey guys,

So apologies for the gaps between posts, Anzac public holiday weekend followed Easter here in W.A. and as such spent a lot of time doing other things.
Also I must confess that as this one progresses I'm spending more an more time on some other little side projects instead - tut, tut! Never fear though I will see this one through!

So since my last post I have essentially managed to finish the weathering stages which is the pigment application and then some details like fuel and oil stains etc.
This means I've been able to finally get the running gear and tracks on and so we are starting to look a lot closer to finished now!

Here we go:

I must say I'm very happy with how the build looks, and how the photos are now working out too.

So some detail images now looking at some of the recent work:

Here you can see some dusty/muddy footprints added to the fender, for this I used a Calibre footprints set (I can't remember which one sorry - maybe Vietnam boots?)

A nice shot showing some of the more subtle fuel and oil marks. I found the AK interactive products a bit thick straight from the bottle and so blended them in with white spirit for a much more 'refined' look.

Stowage! Yes I'll add a bit to the build but nothing too much to fit with the general feel. This was a Value Gear item which seem to be all the rage in the magazines at the moment and for good reason; they are cheap, versatile and well moulded (although not the very best). This tarp was fun to paint although I over did the highlights and had to tone it back with washes so not my best work, but looks ok.

The exhaust has also received many layers of rust pigments as well as some black soot pigments around the opening - pretty happy with this now.

Another pit of stowage, this time a verlinden item. It's actually a German tankers jacket and there is supposed to be an MP40 hanging there but a bit of re-carving and it comes up to modern standards. The LMG is from DML's AK-47 family set 2.

A view of the (remaining) fuel cells. various washes and fuel mixtures applied. To be honest I think these are still a bit too gloss. I may try and tone them down somewhat.

Almost forgot about this! Some grass added as if growing out of accumulated dust piles - showing the history of this AFV.

The wheels are on! Details showing my attempt at a missing hub. Not 100% but as a quick and easy alternative I'm fairly happy with the result. A combination of rust and soot pigments along with oil and fuel mixes and black oil washes got me to this stage.

Same again on the other side. Here you can see the Mig 'burn out' wheels.

Just a couple of extra overview shots.

So we're almost at the end of our journey. I just have a few more touches to add and I can sign this off. Need to get the figure done and potentially think about a base for this too.

Anyway be very keen to get your thoughts on how she's looking in her final stages.

Cheers,

James
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:18 PM UTC
Hi mate,

well it's a pity but I can't see anything.There's the dreaded bandwidth problem with your photobucket. You think you can do something with that? A different image server?

spit
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi mate,

well it's a pity but I can't see anything.There's the dreaded bandwidth problem with your photobucket. You think you can do something with that? A different image server?

spit

Thanks for the heads up mate.

Hmmmm, bugger, I think it may be that I've overloaded my allowed amount of space by uploading so many big pics recently.

I'll try and delete some older albums on there and see if it helps.

Sorry gents, please bear with me....

James
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 06:35 PM UTC
Ok so it seems I had exceeded my bandwidth for the month, ie. too many linked photos being accessed.

I have dramatically reduced the size of my photobucket usage, and now sit at just 12%, also have de-tagged unnecessary old linked photos to try and help. Apparently when my anniversary date in the month of joining photobucket rolls around all the links should work again. Unfortunately I don't know when that is.

Short of re-listing the entire thread I don't have an easy solution I'm afraid. hopefully the anniversary thing will be sooner rather than later and once kicked in will sort everything out.......

Fingers crossed!

James
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC
Just a bump now that photobucket seem to have let my photos be visible again!

Be pleased to get some feedback in these latter stages.

Cheers,

James
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok so it seems I had exceeded my bandwidth for the month, ie. too many linked photos being accessed.

I have dramatically reduced the size of my photobucket usage, and now sit at just 12%, also have de-tagged unnecessary old linked photos to try and help. Apparently when my anniversary date in the month of joining photobucket rolls around all the links should work again. Unfortunately I don't know when that is.

Short of re-listing the entire thread I don't have an easy solution I'm afraid. hopefully the anniversary thing will be sooner rather than later and once kicked in will sort everything out.......

Fingers crossed!

James

You may have to pay to get unlimited bandwith, I think I pay £17 a year. I found that the bandwith limit on the free account was completely artificial and seemed to randomly jump from 15% used on one day to 85% used the next day and exceeded the next. Almost like they wanted to push you to pay.......lol

You should not delete old images and links to threads as it destroys the value of the old build thread.

The tank tooks great btw. It is a great looking model.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hi Steven,

Sorry, once again I'm not getting e-mail alerts for my thread despite having subscribed 3 times now! GRRRR!
Not having much luck with my blog to be honest!

Looks like its all working now, I did clear out some old stuff but from things the best part of 10 years ago so I don't think anyone will miss them.

Thanks for the tips and the kind words about my build, much appreciated.

James
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 06:48 PM UTC
Ok gents,

'Finished' this on the weekend, my first build in about 3 years! So thank you to everyone for keeping me motivated through all your great feedback over the course of the blog.

I still want to add the figure and mount it on a small base, but for the purposes of the T-54/55/62 campaign which is finishing up I have concentrated on getting the actual tank finished.

Since last time this has basically been adding the final stowage and a few basic touch-ups here and there. So here we go:

Fingers crossed photobucket don't shut me down!

Cheers,

James

SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
Honestly I am lost for words when looking at this model, words like stunning come to mind. She is one beaten up old T-55.

Your tank really needs a Diorama to set it in some context but it is a very fine model and I am envious of your painting ability.

S
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 08:36 AM UTC
Wow, this one s looking just perfect!! I must say it seems to me it is your best build. You accumulated some quite large amount of positive energy and you put all in this build! I admire your work and all details you have painted with a great skill. Personally for me I'm happy you joined the "dark side" of the weathering force LOL!! So.... what is next?

spit

PS
there is really a pb with the email notifications as I haven't received any.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hi James,

Well I have too concur with both Steve & Pawel, she is looking fantastic!! Very stubble weathering & all the layers of years of love & abuse!!

Once was sweet as a lamb & now as tough & sinewy as mutton!!

The figgy & diorama will really set it up just right!!

Cheers Mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 11:50 AM UTC
James,
Incredible workmanship! This one will give me nightmares about rust, paint and weathering technique!!!

I absolutely love the multiple marking and graffiti tagging layers! And the fender tanks are very realistic, indeed. I especially like the AK-47 hanging on the turret over the jacket -- nice touch!

Congratulations!!!
--mike
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 02:56 PM UTC
Wow gents, must say I am humbled by your very kind words. It's been a real pleasure posting on here and your constant support has been instrumental in me getting this one finished and looking as she does now. Thank you!

Quoted Text

Honestly I am lost for words when looking at this model, words like stunning come to mind. She is one beaten up old T-55.

Your tank really needs a Diorama to set it in some context but it is a very fine model and I am envious of your painting ability.

S

Steven, thank you so much, very pleased you like her so much and that I've managed to pull off the look I was going for.
I've surprised myself with my painting ability, namely that its been so long since I've painted anything!
While I agree a dio would be very nice, I think I'll have to be realistic and I'll probably limit the base to something very simple (I'll never finish a dio!) still it should still do the job of giving her something to sit on!

Quoted Text

Wow, this one s looking just perfect!! I must say it seems to me it is your best build. You accumulated some quite large amount of positive energy and you put all in this build! I admire your work and all details you have painted with a great skill. Personally for me I'm happy you joined the "dark side" of the weathering force LOL!! So.... what is next?

spit

PS
there is really a pb with the email notifications as I haven't received any.

Pawel, That really means a lot coming from someone of your abilities mate, thanks so much. I bet you never thought I'd get it finished did you!
I think you may be correct in that it may be my best build to date, I must say I'm proud of how its turned out. You are also correct in that the positive energy I got from the thread was key to me getting it finished.
Yes the dark side of weathering is certainly very fun!

As for what next, that's a good question. I'm going to put together a small project of a 1/76 Airfix Churchill bridgelayer for the Churchill campaign I think, something totally different for me. However the next 1/35 (proper!) project will no doubt be soon after. I have a few thing in my head and a LOT on the workbench so we shall see. After enjoying this so much I'm very tempted to do a very similar project on a beat up Tiger 1 early production being used at the end of the war (kampfgruppe Berlin maybe?!)....

Perhaps we need to see whats going on with the subscription e-mails as it seems its a problem a lot of people are getting....

Quoted Text

Hi James,

Well I have too concur with both Steve & Pawel, she is looking fantastic!! Very stubble weathering & all the layers of years of love & abuse!!

Once was sweet as a lamb & now as tough & sinewy as mutton!!

The figgy & diorama will really set it up just right!!

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike, and love the sheep analogy! Very pleased that all the hard work on the weathering front has paid off.

Much appreciated. will try my best to get the figure and base done so you can see it all together.

Quoted Text

James,
Incredible workmanship! This one will give me nightmares about rust, paint and weathering technique!!!

I absolutely love the multiple marking and graffiti tagging layers! And the fender tanks are very realistic, indeed. I especially like the AK-47 hanging on the turret over the jacket -- nice touch!

Congratulations!!!
--mike

Hahaha, Thanks Mike, hope you sleep ok though!
Yes I think the little touches often make the build and so I spent a bit of time on the 'additions' here. I like the vice myself and made sure I lavished as much attention on these areas as the build itself.
Thanks again,

James
 _GOTOTOP