Hosted by Darren Baker
kfz. 385
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Does anyone know if the German kfz. 385 Tankwagen was used anywhere other than Luftwaffe airfields. Thank you.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC
Sorry can't help, but it is a question that is also bugging me...
I've looked through John Milsom's German Military Vehicles of WW2 which has a list of the kfz numbers in the back. 385 is definitely an aircraft refuelling truck, as is 384. It doesn't list any other tank wagons under a different number, although there are water trucks.
However, I have seen photos of tank trucks used elsewhere, specifically an articulated one used by an SS unit.
Logically, you would expect motorised units to use them.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
There's an interesting thread about Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe tankers on the Axis History forum :

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=114231

AFAIK fuel in Wehrmacht units was usually carried by standard cargo trucks loaded with jerrycans and drums...

H.P.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
Once again Frenchy brings home the bacon!
Doh! I have John Milsom and Peter Chamberlains book too - I've just gone to look at the photo. I don't think this is likely to be anything Opel Blitz related, my guess is that it's on an Einheits six wheeler chassis, due to the obviously pre - or early war timescale.
I'm not sure the bowser shown in France is even a German vehicle, it looks captured or impressed to me.
The photo on the axis history forum showing the Opels loaded on the train was interesting. I can't agree with the correspondent identifying the soldiers as Luftwaffe. They look like Heer to me. Luftwaffe troops seldom wore service dress, the Fliegerbluse was standard issue and much more popular. SD was pretty much reserved for ceremonial.
Overall it looks as though if a unit was lucky enough to have tankers it used them, otherwise the exception seems to prove the rule!
tybugg
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:01 PM UTC
Thanks for your time Hohenstaufen. Looks like I'm building a Luftwaffe truck
tybugg
Visit this Community