_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-80BV (unoffical) Build Log
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC
On opening the box you are met with what has become a Trumpeter standard, a box absolutely full of sprues with a small mix of photo-etch. On first inspection Trumpeter have done a lot to correct on the inaccuracies of the Dragons preceding kit, Turret and rear deck shape plus tool boxes on fenders (the most glaringly obvious points when I built Zvezda's offering during November 2013).
One of the most frustrating points of the Dragon's original offering was the ERA blocks on the turret front. These were single or small grouping of blocks that were very difficult to position at the correct angles and spacing. Trumpeter have combated this by having one large ERA moulding with the lower blocks positioned against this with both plastic and photo-etch spacers then the completed unit is attached to the turret front.
The kits tracks are individual link with an alignment jig provided
There are a total of 27 sprues of varying sizes with some being either multiples (e.g. tracks, road wheels etc.) including on clear. 2 Photo-etch sprues, hull tub and upper turret.
One decal sheet and one marking sheet with 4 camouflage variants is provided. No units or dates are named. Some web research has shown more information however.
The four types :
Green, Tan and Black, Standard parade version.
Green, Tan and Grey, Apparently seen during Russia's withdrawal from the former East Germany?
Green, Black and Grey, Sertolovo in 2001.
Green, Pretty generic Russian colouring.
The instruction book is 20 pages containing 21 steps.

Trumpeters new T-80BV looks to be great kit that should build up to be an excellent representation of a kit that needed a more modern accurate release.
Below are sprues etc...

Well that's its for now, will have some more later tonight (my time)

Mikeius007
Visit this Community
Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:35 PM UTC
Looking forward to see your progress on my favourite 1/35 theme!!! This kit must be very accurate in terms of dimensions. It's been years of Zvezda's T-80BV painstaking building...so I guess it's high time our prayers were listened to!!! Wish you best of luck and fun on this cuteness!!!
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:00 PM UTC
Would you like any diemensions?
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you like any diemensions?

Yes, yes, turret and hull dimensions please. And instruction sheet images if you can.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:45 AM UTC
Ok

Across the hull at rear corners 60.9mm
Across the hull above front idler 61.66mm
Across the hull at front (entrenching blade?) 52.80mm

Hull Length 180mm long

Widest Part upper deck 71.57

Turret Width 71.0mm
Turret Length71.5mm

All measurement taken with digital callipers except hull length, taken with ruler (maybe a 1mm error here).

All measurement are without side fenders. Any other specific parts you want let me know.

Instructions will follow later.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
Well spent four or five hours building tonight, most of that was cleaning up the mould lines on the wheels. My overall opinion so far is excellent detail.

Trumpeter look to be a future rival to Dragon if they keep this up (I haven't built a new release Trump kit in while) but there are some issues like a little touches of flash here and there larger mould lines than you would see on a new release Dragon kit (IMO), but still no deal breaker considering the cost is a little less as well.

Well progress so far
Wheel sprockets etc..

Hull progress

As I said not that much considering the time spent so far but most of that was road wheel seam clean up.

Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
And instruction book for those that want to see...

Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
Here´s the link to a video from the parade to celebrate the withdrawl from former Eastern Germany. Many vehicles in the green/ grey / brown scheme including the T-80BV. FFWD to around 07:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShYQFoh2290&list=PL-kPSawIRfBui8AZQX4qPBAcbBiFSwZve&index=8

Thomas
mac1721
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC
This is my kit of the decade I am so going to build loads of these.
Great build love the free fenders for doing wrecks.
I want one now.

Mac
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC
Thankyou Thomas for the information.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:19 PM UTC
Not only are the fenders separate, they are VERY thin for the part. I have the T-80B and I am very impressed with it so far. You will not be disappointed in the basic tank. I have not finished my review of it, and I have not seen the ERA and other options first hand, but it all looks like a huge step up from DML and SKIF.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 04:35 AM UTC
Well update time...

Most of the lower hull complete, just leaving off some small PE stuff for now and onto the upper glacis.

Following shots are the entrenching blade area on both Trumpeters and Zvezda's kits

Trumpeters

And Zvevda's

Hull deck/upper glacis sitting in place and close up of all the holes needing drilling

And where I am now, most of the upper glacis ERA in place.

And again comparing to the Zvezda/Dragon offering.

Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:11 AM UTC
Two things so far, one positive and one negative. Negative first, shall we? The only issue I've found so and it's more an inconvenience, is that parts aren't layed logically on sprues. While I appreciate that multiple sprues of one type helps make say doing the running gear easier needing parts off almost every sprue in the box just do one step gets very frustrating contunally sorting through sprues.

The positive? Parts fit is exllent so far, goes together like a Tamiya or Draon kit so far.
thekingfish
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
Let It be known that the Camoflague options you listed are not limited to the operations and/or time periods you listed as well. Black, gray, and green can be seen as early as the chechen conflicts and is still seen today. As well as the "parade" version that you listed. It is hardly so. It can be seen in current field exercise photos. There are also many other colors and patterns that aren't listed that can be seen on the t-80bv
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:25 PM UTC
If you would like to list specific examples I would be happy to edit them into the list. I listed what I knew or found out as Trumpeter didn't even go that far, just four different schemes no other information.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 07:24 PM UTC
Well been a bit slack on the updates the last couple of day so here's where I'm at...

Have the hull almost complete except for 2 lots of photo etch which I will do just before first and second hull painting. Usually I would paint at the end and then add the track and running gear. With this beast I think it will be easier to paint tracks running gear etc. add them then paint the rest of the hull after add the side skirts.

Overall thoughts on the kit? Goes together exceptionally well, better even than the most recent Dragon armour I've purchased. Instructions are a little vague in some areas so I've had to spend a bit of time double checking against references.

My only real gripe so far is the engine grill has been over complicated. In the kit it done as 2 sets of 8 small PE panels assembled into a grid, the fit of these wasn't perfect. It would of been better of they had followed the real version (or at least the one in my references) and just had single mesh screen with a frame over the top.

In all I have been really enjoying the general ease of build and have been really happy so far.

And Jacques, agreed those fenders are superb.

PS these shots were taken before I added the headlights

And comparing it to Dragons original T-80 Offering...

That's all for now

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:23 AM UTC
I have not gotten to my engine deck yet, but I understand your point about the 8 squares per screen instead of a uniform screen with a "cover" for the framework. I will pay extra attention to it when I get there.

Looks good so far, better than anything else by far.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:31 PM UTC
Well another update. After a rather frustrating session working on the deep water fording equipment on Monday night, last night was much better.

First up. Be aware when you get to this stage you may want to make a deviation from trumpeters instructions. Almost all images I've seen of T-80BV's show the storage boxes mounted on the snorkel gear to be mounted somewhere between horizontal and 45% from there. Trumpeter instructions say to mount them vertical, I have only seen this in a few different pictures. (Also note most tanks also have identification numbers on these boxes that trumpeter does not provide for).

Boxes on fording equipment (tube on back of turret) usually mounted like so or on moderate angle.(Also note identification numbers, one per box)

Trumpeter mounted at absolute vertical like this. Seems to be more uncommon.

So people again check your references then decide.

Ok so where am I at now? I've completed the ERA on one side of the turret. While Trumpeter have come up with a better method to get the right angles than the original Dragon, getting all the blocks to align next to each other is more challenging (Note the blocks on the other side are moulded together so this will not be problem, why didn't they do the same for this side?).

Everything else so far no problems.

Gun and cover are not glued on yet (just sitting for looks).

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:04 PM UTC
Hi Andrew;

The Two (2) boxes that you are referring too are in essence additional Ammo Cans for the AA Machine Gun. The Main reason that you are seeing them at Different Angles is because the Retaining Straps that are Holding the Snorkel tube were Clamped shut with the Tube at that Angel.

CHEERS; MIKE.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hi Andrew;

Sorry For this Follow-Up; You will need too add the retaining straps that Hold the Tube in place on the two Brackets that secure it in place. In the Picture of the T-80 with the Bort # 119 you can Barely see the Straps.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 04:20 PM UTC
Mike, thanks for the clarification of whats in the boxes, I didn't know if it was part of the fording gear or other equipment. I was trying to keep it as simple (considering the straps are moulded on and cant be moved unlike a PE version I didn't think it was worth mentioning position was based on tube rotation before the strap was tightened and the kit part is affixed by plugs).

The straps on mine don't match up because I attached it the wrong way round as it wouldn't fit the alignment plugs the "right way". (Not they there is a wrong or right way on the IRL version.) I am going to correct it later by masking up a couple of grooves and filling in with Mr.Surfacer or similar (I was going to cover that when I got there.

There is a strap, it ends right about where the shadow is in the above photo so I will have about 3mm to fill.
How the instruction show the tube attaching their should not of been a gap if done this way

Mine was to tight and while experimenting with dry fitting the reverse way, snapped into position and ended up like this nice and tight.

Thanks for the interest and help
Modelfreak04
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:28 AM UTC
On what concerns references let me share this blog: http://vitalykuzmin.net/

In my opinion, this is by far the best site in terms of photographic reference of the Russian military and it includes great photos of just about any military vehicle that Russian has produced.
Also great photos of the new Ratnik soldier system.

Just one exemple of T-80 pictures: http://vitalykuzmin.net/?q=node/456

Hope this to be useful.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:12 PM UTC
Well quick update. What can I say as far as my reference go this is very accurate. I cant find anything so far that is incorrect.

Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:04 PM UTC
Been a busy week IRL so only one update, and now photobucket is playing up, so if you would like an immediate update check the link below or wait a couple of days and I'll try to get the images uploaded again to photobucket and update here.

Trumpeter T-80BV
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
For those of you following this thread I apologise for the lack of updates this last 2 weeks. In case you didn't proceed to my webpage for last weeks update I'll copy and paste it below. If your interested in the latest update it will be one post below

In completing the turret there are lots of small parts. The combination machine gun and commander hatch proved to be an intricate model in itself. Three ammunition boxes are supplied but all are empty with nothing to lead to the gun leaving it unarmed.

You need to be careful mounting the spotlight for the main gun, making sure its elevated enough to miss obstacles on the hull section. The spotlight for the commanders AA is also difficult to mount straight (mine ended up at an angle).

Some of the parts are either over engineered or needlessly broken down into multiple parts leaving weak joins. For example part of the section for the AA machine gun trigger (H5) is just a VERY small piece that 'tacks' onto the end of the main gun section. A similar story occurs with part H40 balancing on top of the main AA gun mount with a tac of glue. Both of these parts would of been better off moulded onto part they join for strength. While part H5 may not receive many knocks during painting or later handling I can guarantee H40 will receive them and only be matter time before its knocked off and at the very least repaired. (These examples can bee seen on supplied instruction picture below)

_GOTOTOP