_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Nuremburg.......where's the WW1 kits?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 01:00 PM UTC
Looking at the photos of the various manufacturers 2014 kits at the worlds biggest toyfair in Nuremburg, I couldn't see one new tool kit of a World War 1 subject. Not one!

No new World War 1 kit announcements in the Centenary of the Great War.

Anyone else find that staggering? Now I know Meng and Takom have given us nice new kits of the FT17 and St Chamond and there's many WW1 aircraft kits but wouldn't you think at least 1 company would announce a newly tooled kit of the most famous WW1 tank.............the Males and Females in 1/35th?
vahleof
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 02:45 PM UTC
I would bet my modelling fund on a surprise release by Meng sometime this year
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 02:49 PM UTC
Airfix announced a couple 1/72 WWI subjects, but I haven't seen any 1/35 stuff.

Erik
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 03:49 PM UTC
I couldn't agree more. Very disappointing to see nothing in 1/35 from any of the major manufacturers. I do hope there will be some surprises this year. How could the Ft-17, St Chamond not be followed up with a Mk IV???
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 03:44 AM UTC
IBG had some WWl artillery.
matlev
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:25 AM UTC
well, the actual centenary for the tank won´t occur until 2016, could be a reason?
Removed by original poster on 01/31/14 - 17:38:03 (GMT).
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC
I was going to say "don't we have to wait two more years for tanks to show up - just like they did in 1914?" Pity Mats beat me to it...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
One Little snippet is that Airfix are re-releasing their 'Old Bill' bus (London Bus in WWI configuration)now that isn't armor, but has got a few possibilities albeit in 1/32nd scale....
Removed by original poster on 01/31/14 - 20:35:10 (GMT).
Buckeyes57
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really! Any pictures? Are they on their website?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

well, the actual centenary for the tank won´t occur until 2016, could be a reason?

If any manufacturers are planning new tools I think it would be stupid for them to wait for the actual tanks centenary as it's this year attention will be focused on all things World War 1.

Apart from tank buffs the general public won't care about the tanks centenary.
Railspltr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 02:06 PM UTC
And what of the soft-skins like Bussig, Daimler, Hansa-lloyd, Ford trucks or Ehrhardt, Daimler and Peerless armoured cars (for example)? Some of which could be used as civilian or interwar subjects. There have been some resin soft-skins in recent years, however so I am waiting to see what the major manufacturers do in this niche.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I couldn't agree more. Very disappointing to see nothing in 1/35 from any of the major manufacturers. I do hope there will be some surprises this year. How could the Ft-17, St Chamond not be followed up with a Mk IV???

Indeed. I would've thought Meng would have leapt at the chance to do the first ever tank to go into battle.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
Companies that "leap" at chances to issue a model just because of some arbitrary anniversay are companies that we should expect to go the way of the dodo bird. Only Tamiya, with its vast resources, can afford to issue kits of bizarre, financially risky subjects at the whim of its owner.

I'd rather Meng et. al. not bank their financial stability on the whims of a few dozen model buyers here on Armorama and instead, look to their industry knowledge, contacts and quantitiative market research to drive their decisions.

I'll dance and sing when a company actually produces something that piques my interest. I'll sing and dance more when that decision proves to be financially sound for them and they can continue into the future.

But I'd rather NEVER see a plastic Little Willy if it means some company loses its shirt. How many of you have completed your FT-17 or St Chamond kits already? Just bursting at the seams for the Mk Vs and A7V tanks? For me, with my level of productivity, if every company decided to stop issuing new kits, I'll have more than enough to carry me until I take the dirt nap.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Really! Any pictures? Are they on their website?

They were tucked away somewhere in the IBG section. Two or three pieces. At least I think they are WWl - they are much earlier than WWll.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:10 AM UTC
http://data6.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt8/ibg/images/ibg_01_of_12.jpg
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:12 AM UTC
I've just had a look on the Panzer-Modell website and their Nuremburg review includes a display of around 7 British WW1 tanks on display. They are shown with "new" labels but I haven't worked out the manufacturer just yet.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just had a look on the Panzer-Modell website and their Nuremburg review includes a display of around 7 British WW1 tanks on display. They are shown with "new" labels but I haven't worked out the manufacturer just yet.

Reference my last: it now seems as though these are 1:72; sorry if I raised any expectations out there.
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Reference my last: it now seems as though these are 1:72; sorry if I raised any expectations out there.

Master Box, 1:72 scale.

That´s no real news, pics of thoese were out someway before christmas. Also there are already some reviews available,
check here and cklick through:
http://www.scalemates.com/search.php?section=&q=master+box+british+mk&qs=Search&mf=&period=&mfinput=
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Companies that "leap" at chances to issue a model just because of some arbitrary anniversay are companies that we should expect to go the way of the dodo bird. Only Tamiya, with its vast resources, can afford to issue kits of bizarre, financially risky subjects at the whim of its owner.

I'd rather Meng et. al. not bank their financial stability on the whims of a few dozen model buyers here on Armorama and instead, look to their industry knowledge, contacts and quantitiative market research to drive their decisions.

I'll dance and sing when a company actually produces something that piques my interest. I'll sing and dance more when that decision proves to be financially sound for them and they can continue into the future.

But I'd rather NEVER see a plastic Little Willy if it means some company loses its shirt. How many of you have completed your FT-17 or St Chamond kits already? Just bursting at the seams for the Mk Vs and A7V tanks? For me, with my level of productivity, if every company decided to stop issuing new kits, I'll have more than enough to carry me until I take the dirt nap.

I wouldn't really say Male and Female tanks are that risky. They're very well known amongst most AFV modellers and they've also got a big following. I think Emhar sold loads of them when they first brought their kits out years ago, but sales tapered off when people realised they weren't that brilliant.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:39 AM UTC
I can well understand the frustration. Even though WWI doesn't particularly grab my attention, i'd still like the opportunity to build a Male or Female.

However, be optimistic. A few years ago. Allied modelers were in a state of constant frustration and suddenly things changed dramatically. As the manufacturers run out of 'Paper Panzers' and we see an increasingly specialized group of manufacturers such as Riich or Meng, there will, i'm sure, be an upswing of interest in this period.

Be patient!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:22 AM UTC
The big ugly guns, w/crew + horses of WW 1 in 1/35 , now that would be cool.
With every figure set ie- German WW 1 trench infantry, you would also need a few model rat's. Rat's chewing on model limbs. ie- arms, legs....
That would be wild to see a figure set with just body part's lol. Sorry, I have a sick sense of humor.
The fine red mist war. Everyone getting turned into a fine red mist from the constant artillery.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
I would be stunned if we didn't get a Mk IV or A7V in the next 2-3 years. With the Cold War era being filled in now, its pretty much the last untapped tank era left besides experimental and paper tanks. Now, if someone can talk the WoT developers into adding them to the game, we'll have them in a year tops. . .
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be stunned if we didn't get a Mk IV or A7V in the next 2-3 years. With the Cold War era being filled in now, its pretty much the last untapped tank era left besides experimental and paper tanks. Now, if someone can talk the WoT developers into adding them to the game, we'll have them in a year tops. . .

It would be very surprising if they didn't, especially as Meng and Takom have done the slightly lesser known FT17 and even less known St Chamond.

It's also surprising that Meng or Takom didn't do the most well known tank the MKIV first.
 _GOTOTOP