_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anyone know what AA gun Hanoi Jane opperated?
DUKWsinarow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
I was wondering if any of you knew the specific model of NVA AA gun Jane Fonda used to (I can only hope ineffectively) shoot at US Aircraft?

I'm about to start work on a Italeri 1:72 F-4G and wanted to provide it with a nice juicy target...
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering if any of you knew the specific model of NVA AA gun Jane Fonda used to (I can only hope ineffectively) shoot at US Aircraft?

I'm about to start work on a Italeri 1:72 F-4G and wanted to provide it with a nice juicy target...

I believe it's the Soviet made 57 mm AZP S-60.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Yeech. That image is certainly one of the most polarizing scenes of that entire decade, certainly shameful for her -- but in case you were unclear about the actual facts, Jane Fonda only tooled around on the AAA gun for film and photographers and didn't actually shoot it at US targets.
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:54 AM UTC
Has anyone produced a 1:35 S60? I have an Iraqi-used, Hungarian-built SZ-60 in the collection and could certainly use a model of one!
DUKWsinarow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeech. -- but in case you were unclear about the actual facts, Jane Fonda only tooled around on the AAA gun for film and photographers and didn't actually shoot it at US targets.

She was firing on American Airmen in what she called a "a two-minute lapse of sanity", which sounds more like a fake plea of insanity to avoid the consequences of her actions.

In my planned diorama, the two minutes she spent firing at an American F-105 attracts the attention of an F-4G which has homed in on the S-60's Grom-2 radar and fired an AGM-45 onto her position...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 07:49 AM UTC
It's your diorama. All I'm saying is the footage of her on that AAA gun is not difficult to find. You'll clearly see all sorts of folks yukking it up for the cameras. There are no planes attacking. She never fires.

Here "two minutes of lapsed sanity" are of her idiotically playing on that AAA gun as if it were a playground toy instead of a weapon used to shoot down US aircraft -- not realizing that that image will forever be associated with her.

But I'll let you be. I think this will quickly de-volve into something else. Like I said, it's your diorama to do with what you see fit.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's your diorama. All I'm saying is the footage of her on that AAA gun is not difficult to find. You'll clearly see all sorts of folks yukking it up for the cameras. There are no planes attacking. She never fires.

Here "two minutes of lapsed sanity" are of her idiotically playing on that AAA gun as if it were a playground toy instead of a weapon used to shoot down US aircraft -- not realizing that that image will forever be associated with her.

But I'll let you be. I think this will quickly de-volve into something else. Like I said, it's your diorama to do with what you see fit.

I maybe wrong (getting a little old now), but I think I've seen photos of here sitting on a 37mm and a 57mm AA gun. Plus there is another of her setting on a radar guided 57mm AA gun. That one was new to me till somebody showed it at a VFW get together a few years back. There was also a comment made by Robin Olds concerning this, and he said something like "I wish they'd turned that radar on while I was there".

I have zero issues with the way Ms.Fonda felt about that war, but I do have a problem with the way she and the other two went about it. I don't hate her as some folks close to me do. I'm long past that period in my life. I simply look at her as a well used pawn by folks like Ramsey Clark and Tom Hayden.
gary
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeech. -- but in case you were unclear about the actual facts, Jane Fonda only tooled around on the AAA gun for film and photographers and didn't actually shoot it at US targets.

She was firing on American Airmen in what she called a "a two-minute lapse of sanity", which sounds more like a fake plea of insanity to avoid the consequences of her actions.

In my planned diorama, the two minutes she spent firing at an American F-105 attracts the attention of an F-4G which has homed in on the S-60's Grom-2 radar and fired an AGM-45 onto her position...

it wasn't an F4g, but either and f4c or F4d with sensors borrowed from a Wild Weasel F105G. A radar lock on would have meant the gun was toast in about 30 long seconds.
gary
 _GOTOTOP