Tips for destroyed asphalt?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:10 PM UTC
Heya, Folks,

I'm thinking about a project with an utterly destroyed asphalt blacktop...

Any ideas as to how to recreate it? Of course, plaster comes to mind, maybe laying it out on a baking sheet then beating it up with a hammer or screwdriver...

I'm just worried about the white of the plaster absorbing a hundred coats of black paint...

Anyone got any better ideas?

Many thanks in advance, Folks!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
Check out this dio blog should help a bit
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/170525&page=1
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hey Johnny - I just added a short segment of pretty beaten up asphalt to a build I'm currently working on (1/35 truck fab shop in the dio section).

I'm sure I didn't invent the method but here's what I did - picked up a roll of 1/8" thick cork shelf liner(? I guess that's what it is?). Get a marker pen and draw out your desired pattern of "abuse" on the cork sheet. I kept at least some of the sheet intact. Carve out the little chunks of "asphalt" with a knife. When you're done you'll have a pretty carved up base - and keep all the little cut out chunks!

I then primed and painted all of it (main sheet and little chunks) with acrylics (airbrush) - for ease while painting, I taped the little chunks onto a box - too keep them from blowing away -

Next - glue your "big" sheet down to your base - add tufts of grass and some of the little chunks into a few if the holes you've carved out. Finally, brush model railroad track ballast (I used HO scale) - you'll glue the ballast in with a blend of white glue and water - the grass makes for a country lane, not urban street.

If you want more depth in the ground you could either get thicker, or double up the cork....

If you decide to go with plaster, you can hit the surface with a primer or sealer coat first - that will reduce at least some of the absorption of your paint. Once you get it painted you might want to hit all of it with some modeling powders (Bragdon? I think) versus pigments. While I'm sure you can do this with plaster (especially for non-destroyed asphalt) this could become a bit tricky for both carving out sections and illustrating depth - usually 2-4" asphalt, some base aggregate, then dirt) That said, I'm sure somebody here has nailed it before -

I'm sure there are lots of ways to do this, but the cork worked out for me - about 2 weeks ago!

Cheers
Nick
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:00 PM UTC
Do a search for potholes in the UK and you can get all the reference you need.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hi Johhny,
Do a search for Adam Lehmann"that ussie in Iraq"post.
Like all of his dio,he does a great job on the road using floral foam and plaster.

Tom
Havoc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 05:05 PM UTC
Thanks, Guys!

I really appreciate the help!! Of course, I phone up the local Michael's craft store for some cork, and the clerk says, "We just sold the last two pieces of cork..."

No doubt, a fellow modeler who read your helpful tips! Will definitely get my hands on some cork this weekend (maybe I'll just start right now by pulling some out of a bottle of cheap wine... )

Thanks again, amigos!

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP