_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building a M996 ambulance from M997 parts?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hello all,

There are now great reference photos of the M996 ambulance on HMMWV in scale and I'd like to build one in 1/35th scale.

My plan is to modify Academy's M577 rear body and adapt it to a Tamiya Humvee.

Your thoughts on this? Any tips?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Christophe

kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My plan is to modify Academy's M577 rear body and adapt it to a Tamiya Humvee.

You mean - Academy's M997 I hope? I think this is the best way to make a M996 from M997. But there is one small booby trap. You can not just cut the side walls and glue the roof lower. The front, sloping part of the roof descends in different angle. Of course rear doors, panels for red crosses, airco meshes - it's obvious. In my opinion - qiute easy conversion to do

The other thing is how to fix a M997 ambulance to Tamiya's body... Tamiya's Humvee is narrower, than Academy's one.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:03 AM UTC
Yes M997, typo sorry...

Thanks for the useful info, this means I'll have to do quite a bit of cutting it seems. For the hull width I might try and mate it to an Academy "gun truck" I have and use the gun truck parts on the Tamiya?

Cheers,

Christophe
kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC
The problem with different dimensions (Tamiya is good, Academy and Italeri are too wide) matters only, when You want to join main body parts. Once I wanted to put Academy's bonnet (hood) to Tamiya's Humvee - no success Of course I don't want to say, that it's impossible to join ambulance body with Tamiya - You sholud check it and make Your own opinion, I haven't try to do it yet.
And one more issue - the shape of Tamiya and Academy door holes is a little bit different. In M997 lower parts of side walls are mounted instead of Humvee rear doors. There will be some problems with the arrangement of both lines.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:37 PM UTC
I was hoping to be able to just put the ambulance box on the Tamiya chassis...I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. Lol.
 _GOTOTOP