_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Up- Rooted Pine
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC
Took a break from regular stuff to do a little up-rooted pine.

Sealed dowel blank, root material added with super glue (gel)

Bark powder added to blend in.

Built the tree with some discolored fern to simulate dying tree, added a couple breaks from the fall.

Quick scultamold base to put it on

Little Autumn mix groundcover

Add the tree, add Scenic Mud "Dry" to the root ball, plus all the other little do-dads to dress up the scene

A pretty simple but effective switch from the norm
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:12 PM UTC

Hi John,

You seem to enjoy this at least as much as I do!!

Thanks for sharing this beauty with us!!!!!

Cheers

Romain

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:17 PM UTC
Superb work!
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hello John ,

very well executed ! No doubt about it , but if you create a diorama try to put the things that you make not in the same direction as the base.

It looks more interesting if models are placed in a more diagonal manner (IMHO), giving the scene an other perspective.

Nevertheless , if there is one person that has the knowledge and skills about how to make a realistic forrest scene in small scale .....it's you !!

Greets

Kurt
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 10:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the words guys.
- Kurt,I hear ya, originally I was just building on the bench, trying some new techniques for the big diorama but needed some way to disply it with a "crater" it came out of.
That's why its a plain piece of plywood and a quick put together. (I wanted to make it small as possible and fit the tree on it, knowing it wasn't staying there) It will get "extracted" from this little scene and eventually be added to the other.
- John
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC
John,
What can I say?? That is freekin outstanding dude. And you built something missing from almost every tree scene that I have ever come across,IE deadfall. It occurs in every forest and yet is always overlooked(me included)by modelers.
Superb bark and roots for sure. One small tip. I learned from using your excellent ferns that they can be slightly bent if you are careful enough. I think the larger branches at the bottom of the pine would look better with a bit of a bend? Their weight would pull them down a little in real life?
Small picky thing but this looks so incredable already it may be worth the extra work?
J
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Looks excellent.
Thanks for sharing.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hey John, outstanding work. I grew up in the Mt's of Vermont and remember the walks through the forrest there. Most branchs of pines, on the fall side, will break from the fall impact, they are a soft wood. But to me, in a dio setting, it looks right.
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC
Thanks again guys, the pics aren't the best, I didn't want to overload the thread with pics too much. All the fall side branches (against the ground) are crushed.

Sometimes pics don't show as well as you want.
I did rush this a little though, once the root plan worked out, I didn't look it over as carefully as I usually do.
Next is to try one that got driven over (small)
To anyone wondering those are glycerin preserved but undyed ferns, some left in the sun to fade a little.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
What's the little bush made of? Something new your trying out for Scenic Factory? I don't remember seeing it on the site while browsing a few weeks ago.

Interesting little SBS.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi John - echoing the words of others, your landscape looks great. I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with your work, or should say wasn't. What is "bark powder"? Whatever it is, looks spot on. Pretty impressive transformation of that dowel!

Thanks
Nick
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
Viewed the post yesterday, but haven't had a chance to comment. Very impressive finish, looks like the real thing (but I think that's the point). Makes it seem like an easily attainable result, hoping it plays out the same way for me! Just gotta get that bark texture powder... and whatever else catches my eye hahaha

-Conor
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC
Well done with the root, I like that!

The branches are a bit minimalistic considering the diameter of the trunk and the height of the tree, but you had a great idea with the root.

Greets

Claude
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi John,

That is beautiful work! Don't you just love air fern? I still find dried detritus from my pines in my model railroad boxes. Mine never looked this good, though (and probably never will)!
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
Thanks again:
Conner - yes easier then it may look, Now that I have honed up my video editing skills a little, I'm probably going to do a start to finish video of the construction process.
Nick - Bark (Texture) Powder is a product I designed that mixes with water and obtains nice bark results (visit www.scenicfactorydio.com for tutorials)
Christopher - The bright green shrub is a different glycerin preserved caspia that I do not have on the site.
(I have quite a few items that I Have that are not on the site(yet)one hard to see and I will post different pics is the green leaf on the saplings, it is a natural tiny leaf I have been working on (w/the glycerin process - still in test stages, but very effective for a green leaf)
Claude - agreed, this is one of those things that if I made it "to scale" I think may have looked "out of scale" on such a small base. Larger tree's on actual diorama's I try to keep within scale. (Ardennes Diorama some trees are 20"+)
Frederick - I'm with ya, to me nothing looks better then the "Fern" for pines, which originated for me in my Logging Model Railrad days.
- John
 _GOTOTOP