_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
A Break from Etch
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 01:27 PM UTC
Building this one oob. I was going to super detail, but I needed a break from the grain of sand pe. This is a "what if" build. I may cut the side skirts out of thicker styrene, as the ones included are quite flimsy. Decals, tonight. Weathering, tomorrow. This will be the first model I have finished, in a year.

ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 03:45 PM UTC
Interesting camo scheme there. What's the scenario or is it just a "this would be cool to try" type of thing?
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:17 PM UTC
The skirts were only 5mm thick so, in scale, they'd be rather flimsy.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:26 PM UTC
I may attache it to a base. I am thinking a tank deployed to a drier climate. This is going to be a practice run for some new weathering techniques. I already learned why my gloss coats weren't turning out glossy.

Bob: The skirts are warped, due to their fragile thickness.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting camo scheme there. What's the scenario or is it just a "this would be cool to try" type of thing?

I'm intrigued by the camo too. Is that really purple or a trick of the light?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:08 AM UTC
Wondering about the purple myself.
But as test bed for practising new techniques seems like a winner.

So Matt, what the big secret on getting a good gloss?
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob: The skirts are warped, due to their fragile thickness.

Ah, now that does make a difference. From the sound of your first post, it gave me the impression you wanted to change them because they were too thin.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
The purple is actually Tamiya German Grey. The secret to a gloss coat is spraying Tamiya Clear Gloss thinned with lacquer thinner(1:1) at 20psi and holding your ab one inch from the model, making slow passes.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC
High winds kept me from painting, today. And, unfortunately it looks like I am in for a few days of rain. The next photos I post will be of the finished build, as I am trying to keep my motivation going. I am leaving the kit front and center on my workbench to keep from resigning it to a shelf queen.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The purple is actually Tamiya German Grey. The secret to a gloss coat is spraying Tamiya Clear Gloss thinned with lacquer thinner(1:1) at 20psi and holding your ab one inch from the model, making slow passes.

Tamiya German Grey with light grey over spray on it? I would hit those German Grey spots again, get rid of that cloudy look. IMO.
Nice clean spray job.
What kit is this Matt?
That's actually a good camo idea..hence...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC
It is Dragon's Panther D Kursk 1943. The only thing I know of wrong with it is the engine deck. I got the camo idea from WoT. The paint was accidentally over sprayed with German Grey. A tiny little bit of it got into my gloss coat. But, this is a practice tank. Lesson learned.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
Get this kit if you see it Matt, you will love it!
Only thing , it has vinyl tracks..but use metal?

http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=DRA6384
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestion, David. I will keep an eye out for it. If I decide I must build another Panther, I can source almost anything.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
I have decided to go back to base, on this one. I will be adding some engine screens. The little bit of German grey that got mixed in with the gloss coat destroyed my pre-shading. I'll be going with a different camo pattern and may add some more details built from scratch.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have decided to go back to base, on this one. I will be adding some engine screens. The little bit of German grey that got mixed in with the gloss coat destroyed my pre-shading. I'll be going with a different camo pattern and may add some more details built from scratch.

Hi Matt,
I always do that too. I'll leave a model for a couple months ponder over it...I usually end up respraying it.
Have you ever tried the silly putty camo method? You can get silly putty at the dollar store & make real thin pieces, stick them to your model, spray over them & remove the putty. You can reuse the putty over & over & get pretty good results for camo patterns with sharp edges.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,
I always do that too. I'll leave a model for a couple months ponder over it...I usually end up respraying it.
Have you ever tried the silly putty camo method? You can get silly putty at the dollar store & make real thin pieces, stick them to your model, spray over them & remove the putty. You can reuse the putty over & over & get pretty good results for camo patterns with sharp edges.

I prefer using masking tape, for camo patterns. I don't use hard edge camo on WWII era German vehicles. I'm trying out different camo techniques for a King Tiger. This is also a model to try different pin washes on. I was really happy with how the pre-shading turned out. For a three camo pattern, I will be attempting a different technique for pre-shading.
 _GOTOTOP