_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"Cat In The Mud"
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC
ValleyCon is the local show up here in Western MA, and I've been going since I was ten. That being said, I haven't brought anything before. So, seeing as "The Meat Grinder" would be nowhere near done in time for that or AMPS, I decided to think fast and pull a diorama out of my......workbench, for both shows. It took me four Alpine figures, lots of mud, an old Panther G, and more money than I was probably aware of, but right now it's just about done, save for a little more groundwork and figure touch ups. I've got one day left to finish this thing But I should be able to.

Barren...
IMG_2014

More work...

And the big tree!

So I've just got to muddy up the trousers on the soldiers and the lower half of the Panther. The Panther will get quite a bit, hence the title. Not too bad though for something thrown together in the past couple weeks though.

(Look for it at AMPS In the intermediate section of course, I don't plan on winning anything, but since I'm going, I want to at least bring something)

-Conor
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Looks good Conor. I like the tall spruce tree.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
I wish I could get something done that fast. I like the overall feel of the thng. It all fits together. I love that you took pics at ground level as well. I am so tired of the airplane views always shown.
This reminds me of a scene that could have been in Hungary in 1945. Pretty much has to be 1945 because of the chin mantlet I think.
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks guys, like I said the Panther has been sitting around for nearly two years so I'm glad to finally get it off the bench. I could never have finished this without having the Panther done before hand hahaha. The mud and basically all of the trees n' stuff are from The Scenic Factory. The mud went down last night and I've just got a little bit left to do today. I know what you mean about airplane views, I love the ground level ones.

Quoted Text

This reminds me of a scene that could have been in Hungary in 1945. Pretty much has to be 1945 because of the chin mantlet I think.
J

You're spot on, sir. I forgot to mention the location hahaha. It's supposed to be the worn out remains of SS Wiking during Operation Frühlingserwachen, "Spring Awakening." I over-weathered the Panther a bit over the past few years, but I think it fits right into this scenario. The division was so beaten up in the attempts to relieve Budapest that they were just charged with holding the flanks of the doomed offensive. Ironically, they were the ones who ended up getting the hell beaten out of them when things of bad.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC
Concerning the ground view pics. They look even better when you use a grey or pale blue backdrop. You can get cheap large pieces of construction paper at the craft or art store and prop them up behind your piccies. They take away the distractions behind your dio. Simple thing but great results,
J
LancashireFusilier
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi,
are the buildings scratchbuilt....any chance of some more photos of these?Great diorama by the way
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:28 PM UTC
Well I've procrastinated long enough, here's some pictures of the finished product:

Not too shabby-

I had a field day taking pictures of this last weekend, as is obvious. One thing Jerry pointed out at AMPS which I'm starting to realize more and more is that the internet really distorts photos. Some things show up in photos but not in person, other things look even better in person than online. Weird and all, but I love the look of these photos.

So that's that.

-Conor
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:13 AM UTC

Congratulations Conor! Award well earned!!!

Fully agree with you about photos and reality!!

It's a talent I haven't got (be good at photographing) to make things look great or even greater than real on photographs!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Ahh winnah!! Panzerconor picks up another medal.
Good job,the mud and debris look great.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 03:10 AM UTC
Congratulations Conor ,

you've made a beautiful diorama and the medal is earned !

Kurt
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
What everyone else has said. Excellent work.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
Simply superb!
 _GOTOTOP