_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
T-34/88 What if
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
In doing research for a Kurland pocket Tiger from Pz Abt 510, I came across a supposed diary entry from a German soldier recounting the up gunning of several T-34/85's. These T-34's were re-armed with 88mm barrels taken from scrapped Tiger's and used by the 12 Panzer Div.

To the best of my knowledge there are no actual photo's from the period documenting that this actually occurred. For one thing, knowing how thick a tanks mantlet is, it must have required many man hours to modify the T-34 to accept the Tiger barrel.

I really enjoy building AFV's that were a rarity or never made it beyond the drawing boards; my previous builds included a Rammtiger and Minenraumer. I have seen some other T-34/88's that other buidlers have completed, and I decided to build this mythological beast myself. I used a Dragon T-34/76 M 1943 W/ CDR Cupola as the baseline kit, and Real Model's T-34/85 M 1944 Factory No. 183 Turret. The Tiger mantlet and stowage bin came from my scrap pile, together with a nice metal barrel from RB to complete the conversion.

I have created an album dedicated to this build, link is below.

Does anyone else has any more information on this interesting AFV?

I would also love to see if anyone else on this site has built this.

gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 05:29 AM UTC
Interesting concept Shawn. I read something similar a while back about mounting an 88 on a T34 but using a different route. Here's my take on the concept.

Gary
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 05:47 AM UTC
Gary,

Very nicely built! Did you scratch build the base for the 88? I like the various replacement parts you have on the tank, especially the Panther roadwheel.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:07 PM UTC
Thanks Shawn

Yes, base to cover the turret aperture is just a sheet of plasticard. The ammo rack was built from scrap PE. Good thing about building something like this - no one has a photo to prove you wrong

Gary
 _GOTOTOP