_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Dragons Panzer IV H late
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi guys.. Here are a few pictures of my latest build .. So far these are just basic camo with no weathering or filters . So the fun is about to start .. All comments are welcome ..

Rick

Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:25 AM UTC
Fantastic!!! You and I have been working hard on the same model. I've been having a Hell of a time getting large images posted properly but once I get that sorted and learn how to do it quickly I'll add the album. This is honestly the most difficult model I've ever built. I built 2 DML (6560s) at once in an atttempt to creat the "quintessential Normandy Panzers" The kits are fantastic but it is incredibly difficult to get the schurzen situated correctly and in a way that doesn't leave you with flimsy skirt armor. It was difficult to paint and keep aligned as well. These kits look fantastic when finished well but found that simply assembling it well and adding a good paint job isnt enough in that it looks like a toy. I really had to work and practice weathering techniques for a year before I was able to get my 2 IVs to where they didn't appear as 2 toys. You've done a fantastic job. Your's is very clean looking and yet has that life like metallic quality. Keep up the good work!

Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
Also, I absolutely adore this paint scheme. I've always felt the German tri-color {dunkelgelb with red brown and dark green squiggles} was the finest looking but lately..I've really really noticed how fantastic dunkelgelb with a lighter olive green squiggle/blotch scheme looks. This is exactly how I want to paint a Panther Ausf. A Late production with tile zimmerit {Northern France/Lorraine 1944} I'm working on. Great job, I can't wait to see it progress to finish. Small dio or Base ideas? I'm just adding a base with a dirt road bordered by a hedge and tall field grass (going to use my Noch GrassMaster for the first time). Just and idea..This would look so sexy on a stretch of road next to a hedge, a half-timber Bavarian/Austrian styled country home, a damaged Norman wall, or under a tall pine tree. Just spitballing here. Cheers.

I freaking LOVE this model man.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Nate ..while I was posting on yours you were posting here .. lol Thanks for the comments and I agree that to make a kit come to life ,the weathering is where it all comes together.. I still have a long way to go ..

Rick
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC
Absolutely, I'm having major image posting issues lol. I can't wait to see her weathered, washed, and detailed in her final form and glory. Cheers Rick!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
That is coming along, quite nicely. I would recommend drilling out the exhaust. This improves the look exponentially. I also notice that some of the road wheels do not touch the track. You seem to have some over spray of green on the spare tracks. Except for the road wheels, these are all easy fixes. I do look forward to seeing this one finished. There seems to be a resurgence of panzer iv's, lately. Can't wait to start mine. It will be the second one I have completed.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi Matt .. thanks for the comments .. I have drilled out the exhaust , I guess the pictures don't show it very well and there are still some dark washes and pigments that will help define that during the weathering .. As for the green over the tracks ...it was wanted to show the field applied camo and the fact that they would have just kept spraying instead of removing them .. There are also many pictures of tanks with the tracks paint yellow as well but both were seen. The tracks will be glued in place in the end so that should stop them from riding up .. lol Just had a little accident and the extra armour on the turret has to be reglued ..uuugggghhh anyway ..if all goes well I should have a couple of filters on by the end of the night ... Thanks for looking and the comments .

Rick
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:20 AM UTC
very nice!
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looks very good, I've always liked the boxy panzers.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys ... Here`s where I`m at this week .. 2 filters , a gloss coat , decals (crappy, thick, 20 year old Tamyia decals!!!)... another gloss coat and a dark wash later and this is what I`ve got..

I will have to fix the 6 on the left side as the decal tore when trying to get it off the backing paper..

That`s it for now

Rick
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 03:27 PM UTC
Good job so far, Rick. It's nice to see someone rust up the secondary muffler in addition to the primary.
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:11 PM UTC
Looks great, I really like it. Very cool paint it, the muffler also looks great.

Paweł
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hi Richard
Looks very nice. I love the two color camoflage, and the weathering is coming out great.
Jacob
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys ... This is a commission for a friend so the weathering will be quite light ... Maybe a bit of streaking and a bit of dust but not much else ... .

Rick
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
Okay a week later and the flat coat and streaking have been added ... I'm still thinking that it could use more weathering but as a commission the client has the last word .. I'll try and convince him to add a bit more ,but he wants it to look like it might have looked before the fighting started in Normandy .. Hey they had time to keep things clean before the crap hit the fan..I think I'll add a bit more chipping around hatches and I will probable a bit more streaking with different color oil paints.. So it's coming along and I'm ready for the next one..

All comments are appreciated. And yes I see from the pictures I've lost a hook for the tow ropes ... back to the spare parts box!!

Rick
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC
That's looking pretty good.

Kimmo
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada