_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"The End" Berlin 1945 dio
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hi everyone! I have been working on this diorama (more of a vignette actually) for the past few weeks. It tells the story of a German MG-42 team that got wounded and is hiding from the invading Russians.

I made the building out of two layers of foam core board, then added cork bricks which need to be plastered and painted still. The base is also made of foam core which I carved bricks into for the street and side walk. The German figures are from Dragon's "Fallen Comrade" set and the Russians are from Tamiya's "Russian Assault Infantry 1941-42". I had to modify the Russian's uniforms to make them the 1943 and later version. To do that I shortened the collar, added shoulder tabs, and I will have to add buttons to the shirts.

The Germans are hiding in a bathroom so I carved a toilet from a balsa wood block. The tiles in the bathroom are tile sheets from evergreen.

Enjoy!

More to come soon!
Any feedback welcome!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:34 PM UTC

Hi Ryan,

very promising show so far!! Building and sidewalk/street look just fine!! The privy adds a certain note too!

But what I like most is your figure painting! I doubt the producing company had that grim face in mind, but I love it!!

Looking forward to seeing more!!

Well done Sir!!

Cheers

Romain

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:37 PM UTC
Looking awesome, Ryan!

I can immediately see you are either married or have a serious girlfriend since you did not fail to put the seat down!

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can immediately see you are either married or have a serious girlfriend since you did not fail to put the seat down!

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC
wow, so kool! If I were that Kraut I would use that PanzerFaust on those dam Ruskies!
What a "sheitty place to die, in da bathroom!" lol
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 01:56 PM UTC
A small update. I did a little more work on the figures. Sorry that the pictures are not the best quality I took them with my phone.

Enjoy!

All comments welcome!
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 03:44 AM UTC
Thanks for all of the kind comments! Maybe I should change the title to "Ein beschissenen Ort zum sterben!"

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:17 AM UTC
Ironically, your kneeling German soldier looks like Vladimir Putin (less the missing top of his head)

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ironically, your kneeling German soldier looks like Vladimir Putin (less the missing top of his head)

He does indeed!!

Cheers

Romain

r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hi All!

Another small update. I got the figures mostly finished this weekend. I am still finishing up the running Russian and the other figures need some finishing touches. The running Russian needed some surgery to make his DP-28 fit in his arms nicely. I also drilled out the inside of one the German helmets and made the leather webbing(not quite sure what to call it) inside with paper.
I did a little more work to the building adding window trim and more bricks. Soon I can plaster the building and paint her up! I also have been working on filling and shaping the toilet trying to get rid of the wood grain. I painted some of the floor tiles black and it got a little messy, so I need to fix that still.

Enjoy!

All Comments Welcome!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 08:31 PM UTC

You are a super figure painter Sir!!!

I just don't think bathrooms had such huge windows back then!

Seriously, this little scene is looking great so far!!!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Cheers

Romain

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Ryan,

nice work, coming along well.

Al
EvilKiwi436
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi Ryan,

You're figures are phenomenal. I'm just wondering, did you put on any primer at all? I'm actually making the same kit, and I'm debating whether I should since I don't really have an airbrush.

It doesn't really look like you did, but I can't tell.
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 02:33 PM UTC
Thanks for your nice comments Romain, Alan, and Tom! Tom I do not prime these figures, but it would not hurt to use a fine primer like the one Tamiya makes.I have been practicing my figure painting a lot and I think they improve a little every time!

Got some more progress for you! I plastered and got some primer on my building. I also made some windows for it out of balsa wood. I still need to add some more detail to them though. I also made the wooden floor for the upstairs. I took some close-ups of the faces with my good camera as well.

Enjoy!

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC

And enjoying we are..!!! The building is coming along nicely, great details, I especially like the glass shards!! Great show indeed!!

Moreover I stand by what I said earlier....you really are a hell of a figure painter, especially faces!! Wow!!

Thanks for sharing the impressive pics!!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
Yes,this is coming along nicely for sure. Reminds me of something.
J
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:04 PM UTC
Got some more work done this weekend! I finished up the balsa wood windows by adding more details and painting them. I also made wooden trim for around the windows. I added wallpaper which I just printed from the internet (after a little re-sizing). Got the wood floor painted and glued in just need to gloss it now. I also glued the tiles for the bathroom on which also need to be glossed.

I am mostly done with the figures now. Need to add some finishing touches and flat coat them!

I cut out some foam core as a base for the rubble which will be coated in celluclay. Do you think that what I have is too much, not enough, or just right? Thanks for any input!

Enjoy!

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 03:16 PM UTC
Love the wallpaper! did you print that yourself?

r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the wallpaper! did you print that yourself?

Yep I just google searched "printable dollhouse wallpaper" and I got tons of results. Then just copy and paste into microsoft word and made a big sheet of it!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hi Ryan - great build + figures(!) thanks for posting the step by step - very good to watch!

Cheers
Nick
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:29 PM UTC
I love your work here, the SBS photos really show how you're getting such fantastic results, thanks for sharing so much, it's inspiring to start building and painting again
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:41 PM UTC

Hi Ryan,

inspirational indeed. You have a way to show that "it's possible" which makes people "give it a try"!

Our hobby is heavily threatened by computer gaming and many other elements...and the last thing we need is to create a dispiriting impression with people.

You also show that you don't need (much) money to build fascinating scenes, just imagination and patience....and a little skill of course

Great show!!

Cheers

Romain

EvilKiwi436
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:09 PM UTC
Wow, simply phenomenal. The posing and painting of the figures is incredibly, and you're structure is amazing!

I can only hope to make something this good one day.
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hey Ryan, this build is really shaping up well, mate. It really evokes a sense of tension that the German soldier must be feeling at that moment.

As others have said: great work on the figure painting. I also really like the building and can't wait to see her covered in rubble.
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:47 PM UTC
Thanks again for the nice comments guys! I am glad that I can be an inspiration for some people on armorama because many of you have been a great inspiration for me!

I did a little this weekend. I got the tank for the toilet started out of balsa. I also did a little weathering on the building. I made the gray a little lighter, added some rain streaks, and used charcoal to darken around the damaged areas.

As always Enjoy!

_GOTOTOP