_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Budapest dec. 1944 - Hetzer and waffen ss
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:32 AM UTC
Here some pics of my last dio: outskirts of Budapest, december 1944, red army approaching. Sources for the work come mostly from the book "The Siege of Budapest: One Hundred Days in World War" by Krisztian Ungvary

It would need some small adjustments, but fir the time being I will keep it.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:38 AM UTC
Your figures are out of this world! The Hetzer is a nice addition, to the scene. Where did you find the chain and what size/scale is it? I note that the picture in the building is not crooked. If the building has collapsed, I don't think it would have even still been hanging on the wall IMHO.
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
Even though it's small that's one of the best little dioramasI've seen. The figures are so well detailed, how did you getting them looking like that??
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 02:46 AM UTC
Luca, very nice diorama. I really like your figures ! You did very well with the eyes. That is the hardest part of figure painting (for me at least) and the "5 o'clock shadow beards is a nice touch.
Thank you for sharing your awesome diorama with us ! Keep up the good work !
Tom
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Luca,
Once again you have produced a masterpiece in scale. Wonderful job on the groundwork and the vehicle. The figures as usual are what really stand out in your dios. The faces are superbly painted and you chose the aftermarket heads well.
There are a few details about the ruined house that don't fit but it takes an absurd amount of focus from some one like me that is into these thing to notice.Kay serah serah.
One thing you may take note of is the cammo smocks on the WSS troopies. I love the variation in styles of color that you used and the helmet covers are different patterns. Nice touch and very accurate. A little detail you may add in the future is the rolled seam at the bottom of the smocks a lot of the time showed the reverse colors. Here it would be the summer colors and pattern.
Small things but I thought someone of your talent and ability to capture incredible detail would want to know?
Thanks for posting and letting us see this.

J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 06:09 AM UTC
Awesome work Luca. You have an excellent ability for figure painting for sure. The expressions and colors are spot on. Very impressive sir.

Great motivation for me to keep plugging away at leaving how to paint figures, the subtle shading and such. I know it can be done by looking at your stuff, and Jerry's too. I am motivated to get it right in my figures too. Well done

Dave
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC

Wow! I have to agree with retiredyank that your figures are out of this world!!
But what is said for the figures counts for the Hetzer and the building (skillwise) as well!!

Big congrats to you Sir!!!

I must say that the "lack of communication" between the 3rd crew member and the SS grenadiers is striking me a little.

Ah, ...just forget it!!!

Cheers

Romain
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 06:03 PM UTC
Wow Luca! this whole composition looks great! - and man, those figures...yes, if you don't mind, I will copy some of these pics for my "learn to paint figures" file!

thanks so much for posting many images!
cheers

NIck
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Luca,
Once again you have produced a masterpiece in scale. Wonderful job on the groundwork and the vehicle. The figures as usual are what really stand out in your dios. The faces are superbly painted and you chose the aftermarket heads well.
There are a few details about the ruined house that don't fit but it takes an absurd amount of focus from some one like me that is into these thing to notice.Kay serah serah.
One thing you may take note of is the cammo smocks on the WSS troopies. I love the variation in styles of color that you used and the helmet covers are different patterns. Nice touch and very accurate. A little detail you may add in the future is the rolled seam at the bottom of the smocks a lot of the time showed the reverse colors. Here it would be the summer colors and pattern.
Small things but I thought someone of your talent and ability to capture incredible detail would want to know?
Thanks for posting and letting us see this.

J

Thanks a lot, for sure I will consider your suggestions for the next works.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! I have to agree with retiredyank that your figures are out of this world!!
But what is said for the figures counts for the Hetzer and the building (skillwise) as well!!

Big congrats to you Sir!!!

I must say that the "lack of communication" between the 3rd crew member and the SS grenadiers is striking me a little.

Ah, ...just forget it!!!

Cheers

Romain

Your comments is absolutely right, and I am considering to add the fourth member of the crew on the ground to create a stricter link among the 2 groups...
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC
Fantastic dio Luca- I like the interaction between the figures and the finish on them is simply top-notch- particularly the camo smocks and helmet covers and the variations in them that Jerry pointed out. I also particularly like the finish on the weapons and the jackets on the panzer crew. The ruined facade of the house with the beaten door and window frame along with the weathered paint also nicely ties it into the groundwork of the dio. Masterful work.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your figures are out of this world! The Hetzer is a nice addition, to the scene. Where did you find the chain and what size/scale is it? I note that the picture in the building is not crooked. If the building has collapsed, I don't think it would have even still been hanging on the wall IMHO.

The chain is from AK range.

The picture... maybe should have collapsed, maybe not... collapsing follows strange rules....
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi,
Super Cool Dio. Love that Camo !!!

mil
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 04:51 PM UTC
What kit is the Hetzer from? Looks awesome. I'd love to add to the figure comments but I'd just be repeating what's already been said. Great, great diorama, and a great subject I haven't seen too often in dioramas either.

-Conor
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What kit is the Hetzer from? Looks awesome. I'd love to add to the figure comments but I'd just be repeating what's already been said. Great, great diorama, and a great subject I haven't seen too often in dioramas either.

-Conor

The kit is the Tamiya one, I think the best around, with some aftermarket (friul tracks and photoetched).
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
Very nice. Is the house scratch built or from a MiniArt kit? There are details from it that look MA, but that may just be the drain spout, etc.
 _GOTOTOP