Hosted by Darren Baker
KPZ 70 arrived !
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:32 PM UTC
Just got Dragons KPZ 70 delivered to my door!
With 72,99€ a little on the "expensive" side for a plastic kit .... but what the h..l it looks nice !
Here some quick shots:

Cheers
Christopher
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:16 PM UTC
Thanks for posting these pics!

But...

Quoted Text

it looks nice !

So did the M103A1 after the initial "/reviews"... I'll wait for someone to do a proper review.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:24 PM UTC
Oh oh! More pictures please!

Man I gotta get me one too... SOON!

Jeff
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:48 PM UTC

Turret has some in-depth structure ... but seeing the originals the overall surface is really rough and scruffy which can easily be reproduced via putty etc. ... depending what time-frame you wish to place your model in.
Nice A4 size color booklet with some detail shots and explanation if you don't possess any other visual input.
BTW ... this is not to be a review ... a show-off yes ... and to make you all jealous !

Cheers
Christopher
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... and to make you all jealous !
Cheers
Christopher

You naughty boy
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:06 PM UTC
Works for me! I am jealous!

Jeff
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... and to make you all jealous !
Cheers
Christopher

You naughty boy

"Indeed I am"

First overall impression is very good ... does not look "over engineered" with 280 parts ... a track consist of two vinyl parts needing connection, the quality like the Dragon M1A2 ones, for me the only point of criticism at this time ... I'll wait and see what the AM will come up with.
No PE included for the deck fans though.
I didn't expect to get this kit so soon ... so thankx to MAKO Modellbau !

Cheers
Christopher

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
Here's another overview of the kit parts and the instructions...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10258458

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:02 PM UTC
Oh... here I go again! Where's my card at?

I see that we do not have to glue guide teeth on!

So it's not the US version (MBT-70) it STILL looks better than the Abrams!

Jeff
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 02:01 PM UTC
wow! For the price I was expecting alittle bit more. I bought one enroute from HLJ hope to have it next week. Hatches molded shut really DML? Grill on engine deck with molded screen kinda 1970's molding huh? unless it's suppose to be some kind of nonslip not sure. Just my observations from photos. For me a let down no M-6 in my future!
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 03:04 PM UTC
I'm curious, if you look on the instruction sheet either on the first of last page, can you tell me if the Dragon Europe team developed this kit? They did the M103 too, hope they didn't do the KPz too given their previous poor job.

I really want this one if it turns out dimensional accurate but its a but expensive to be so basic and not have any PE.

Erik
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wow! For the price I was expecting alittle bit more. I bought one enroute from HLJ hope to have it next week. Hatches molded shut really DML? Grill on engine deck with molded screen kinda 1970's molding huh? unless it's suppose to be some kind of nonslip not sure. Just my observations from photos. For me a let down no M-6 in my future!

Here is a closeup

Cheers
Christopher
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm curious, if you look on the instruction sheet either on the first of last page, can you tell me if the Dragon Europe team developed this kit? They did the M103 too, hope they didn't do the KPz too given their previous poor job.

I really want this one if it turns out dimensional accurate but its a but expensive to be so basic and not have any PE.

Erik

Sorry, could not identify any hints leading to the answer of your question, nothing on the box or instruction sheet ... or the booklet.

Understanding the disappointment caused by the apparent flaws of the M103 kit I honestly don't think they got this one seriously wrong.
Besides, it's just a prototype ... only 2 or 3 vehicles left in the world to look at anyway ... I'm just glad they did this one at all (THANK U !), and it might well be that when Hobby Fan releases their resin kit (if ever?) then theirs might be 1 or 2 mm more accurate ... so what ?
Maybe all of us have been spoilt over the last 2 years from all the great stuff that's been/is being thrown at us ... the M103 a disaster ? ... could have done better ?.... you bet - no excuse there.
So it's one bad egg ... but with all the other goodies to build, that's where I am heading. And I really enjoy having this kit !

Cheers
Christopher
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:05 PM UTC
From what I have seen of the build images on the Dragon site in comparison to the kit parts the issue that pops out to me immediately is the rear hull engine grills.

Dragon apparently used the Munster KPz 70 as reference for the kit. The kit has five horizontal slat grills on the rear hull. The Munster KPz 70 has nine slat grills. I could see being off one...but four?

I expected that the L85 cannon would lack details on the gun, mount, and tub. This is for sure an area that the aftermarket companies will have to jump on.

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So it's one bad egg ...

Two bad eggs - don't forget the T28...
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 09:34 PM UTC
Guys,

Can we not just be pleased that someone has brought this beast out? Let's face it - we never thought this one would appear in injected plastic.

The hatch moulded shut doesn't perhaps do the manufacturer any favours, but as modellers surely we can deal with that?

And so there's not etch for the engine grills; well, that's what AM manufacturers are for. It wasn't that long ago that we hardly ever expected to get etch as part of a kit anyway.

Finally, don't overlook the Commander Models resin US version if you want that version - not a bad kit at all (despite just about everything moulded shut!)

"Rejoice!" I say.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I have seen of the build images on the Dragon site in comparison to the kit parts the issue that pops out to me immediately is the rear hull engine grills.

Dragon apparently used the Munster KPz 70 as reference for the kit. The kit has five horizontal slat grills on the rear hull. The Munster KPz 70 has nine slat grills. I could see being off one...but four?

I expected that the L85 cannon would lack details on the gun, mount, and tub. This is for sure an area that the aftermarket companies will have to jump on.

Hey Jason

...looks more like the grill from the Koblenz tank with 7 horizontal slats

Cheers
Christopher
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,

Can we not just be pleased that someone has brought this beast out? Let's face it - we never thought this one would appear in injected plastic.

"Rejoice!" I say.

The real problem I have with a kit like this, the M103 and the T28 is that it seems that the manufacturer is taking full advantage of that sentiment. They are charging a premium price for a below average kit. I can understand charging a premium for a kit that might not sell well due to it's niche nature and for that reason, I don't mind too much if the detail is soft or occassionally incorrect. But I have a huge problems if the basic shapes and dimensions are significantly inaccurate.

I don't know about this kit's accuracy, as no-one has published a comparison, and I really hope the basics are accurate, but the T28 has a pretty significant flaw in the suspension and hull side contours and the M103 is just bloody awful. I resent being played for a patsy. Dragon's attitude in this seems to be "You never thought you'd get a kit of this, so here's a piece of crap and be happy about it".

Make an accurate shape and I can fill in all the details I want to add. I'm even happy paying a premioum for an accurate basic shape that is kinda basic in detail if it is a rare or unusual subject. I figure that's only fair for a niche subject. But to pay a premium and then be fed a lump of plastic poop? I think we have a right to deserve better.

It's not whinging when you really are being taken advantage of. And we are.

I bought the M103 only because I already have an accurate hull and turret to use on them. Otherwise going the "chop shop" route is too much work for my limited available time.

Again, this is a general comment and not one about this kit as I have yet to see a comparison of the model against the measurements, however, until someone does the comparison, my money will stay in my pocket for this and the M6A1, both of which I definitely will buy if their shapes are right, no matter how light they are on detail.

Paul
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 01:12 AM UTC
I agree with Paul and his sentiments.

To be sure, no one is forcing any of us to actually buy any of these kits, so DML (and every other manufacturer) is free to make their kits however they choose.

But, as long as poorly researched and designed kits continue to sell, then there's no market pressure on the kit maker(s) to change. If we want accurate and detailed kits, then we should pass by those sub-standard kits and spend our money on the ones that meet that standard. None of these companies are going to go out of business if we don't all rush out and buy their latest inaccurate mess, but some of them just might respond to a lack of sales and improve their subsequent releases.

Hopefully, the KPz 70 will prove, under examination, to be essentially accurate, but, as for me, I'll be keeping my wallet in my pocket until it does (and the same goes for the announced M6A1). As for DML's M103, it'll never darken my workbench no matter how attractive I might find the subject.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
May be its me, or my aged eyes, or the angle/lighting of the potos, but for me the upper hull and turret detail level and finesse look like 90's "tamiyaish" stuff -and I'm being nice here -...

So,again "in my eyes", seems like a far overpriced kit like their M'103.
I may buy one anyway, but only if/when it drops its price either on korea web shops -you know, the usual suspects- or on evilbay

Love the actual prototypes, don't love at all the kit...
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

-you know, the usual suspects-

The usual suspects are in Hong Kong. Do you actually know some in Korea?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for posting these pics!

But...

Quoted Text

it looks nice !

So did the M103A1 after the initial "/reviews"... I'll wait for someone to do a proper review.

I'll second that! So, maybe I missed it- Does this kit contain any parts to build a US Army MBT-70, or not? I'm still going to hold off on this one, pending a proper review of this kit.

I may buy the COMMANDER MODELS MBT 70, even if it DOES retail for about $180.00, just so that I can have one in my "Evolution of US AFVs" collection... I wonder how long it will take the AM people to come out with an MBT 70 conversion kit, if indeed there are no "extra" parts in the DRAGON Kpz.70 kit to build a US version? I'm disappointed that the BLACK LABEL M103A1 turned out to have so many flaws. I don't see any enterprising AM company coming to the rescue with a resin "correction" conversion/upgrade. Probably because it entails A LOT to fix DRAGON's mistakes, which will make any such resin correction kit really expensive, on top of an already expensive kit.

I think it's pretty sad that DRAGON demands a $70.00 price-tag for such an inaccurate kit of the M103A1. The fact that their Kpz.70 suffers from 1970s-type molding, kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well...
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 04:59 AM UTC

I'll second that! So, maybe I missed it- Does this kit contain any parts to build a US Army MBT-70, or not? I'm still going to hold off on this one, pending a proper review of this kit. [/quote]

100% "Made in Germany" ... purely teutonic ... a real "Hermann the German"
No indications, hints or optional parts for a US version ... sorry!

Cheers
Christopher
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 05:43 AM UTC
For the price being charged for this kit and as basic as it is one would think Dragon could have designed the kit in a way so it included both parts and options.

chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hey Guys

Startet on the hull:
Did pre-paint the rear side of the suspension-units and the recessed area before final assembly. I believe it would be very difficult to spray all areas otherwise.

Then glued the individual parts into position ... the chapter in the instruction sheet covering the running gear needs ones attention; it's short and the swing arms + road wheels are proposed to be attached in one ... somebody designing the instruction layout wanted to be smart and took a shortcut in illustrating individual steps ... so double check before gluing.
But otherwise just usual cleaning up, no fiddling parts ... goes together nicely.

Here a look at the rear end ... looks more like the Koblenz tank.

The turret weld seams will defiantly need some "improvement" they are really dominant and "thick" on the real thing.
I tried Vallejo Air 71.016 and it looks quite close to the 60's era BW Gelb- Oliv color.

Cheers
Christopher
 _GOTOTOP