Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer IV Ausf.F1
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question to all you knowledgeable people

Whats this thing i just build and placed right there under the left door?

It's a hatch stop. I'm still not sure if it works by having the hatch go past it and then preventing it from swinging back, or whether the hatch just rests against it.

Kimmo
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 08:30 AM UTC
Right
I just found this pic:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa188/kimikobo/PIV14.jpg

Kind of looks like the door locks on to the stop and that it's released by pulling the handle downward?? There where no mention of a extended handle like the pic has in the Griffon instructions. Perhaps it wasn't introduced yet for the Ausf.F's

Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Right
I just found this pic:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa188/kimikobo/PIV14.jpg

Kind of looks like the door locks on to the stop and that it's released by pulling the handle downward?? There where no mention of a extended handle like the pic has in the Griffon instructions. Perhaps it wasn't introduced yet for the Ausf.F's

It was a basic fitment for the side hatches introduced I believe with the PzIV E. The hatch is held in place by a tab which is released when crew pull down on the lower cylindrical part of the fixture.

The E model had single hatches while the F and beyond had the double doors.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 11:12 PM UTC
Thanks Ian!
Means i got it wrong on the model then...
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:34 AM UTC
It looks just fine to me.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
Slow updates from me. I managed to break my camera so haven't been able to snap any shoots! I got some work done and am just about ready to go into "paint-mode"
It's just a dry fit so some parts will shift around. For example I scrapped the idea of tracks on the turret (for now... )

Not sure if I can keep the pace though, some upcoming deadlines at work that will eat up a lot of time... (Not to mention I'm a bit scared of firing up the airbrush again)

holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
Great work Johan! Sorry about your camera, hopefully not a DSLR You got yourself a nice palette for the upcoming painting sessions. I think, in terms of honoring the authenticity of the model, you are right to skip the tracks on the turret top. I think the crew would place it where it would provide some protection, at the sides or front. Hate deadlines as well, if one could just win the lottery...

Erik
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC
Nicely done.

I know the paint fear myself. Grasp the nettle and just take your time bud.
Leha12
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi, Johan!

Your Panzer looks very nice, I like the shell impact on the glacis.
However, I have a feeling that the side visors on the hull, near the driver's and co-driver's positions, are installed upside-down at the moment. I'm not a Panzer IV expert, but maybe you should take a look at them.
And I have seen many shots of German tanks with tracks wrapped all over them, including the turret top, so no problem there.
Also the spare wheels on the side look as if only the photo-etch strip is holding them. On the real thing they would have probably fallen off like that, I suppose there should be some additional retainer for them?
But overall - looks great, wish you luck with the painting!
Best regards,
Alexey
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:13 AM UTC
Erik, Andy: Thanks for the encouraging words Also, my "camera" is my S4 Samsung so nothing major there (even got it on warranty hehe)

Alexey: You're right!! I totally missed that. I wont go back now but i'll put it in the learnings category: Study drawings better!
About the road wheels holder I'm not sure how it should be. The idea is to depict a "battlefield modification" since the F1 didnt have any spare road-wheels holder. I guess they could have tied them down with a piece of rope or chain?
If anyone sits on more info then please share!
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC
Very nice build so far, the camera on the Galaxy S4 is not that bad, but if you are going to do loads of these build logs an inexpensive DSLR would be a plus.

I like the battle damage on your model, even if it was accidental.

I was using an inexpensive an Sony a230 until just last week when I was given an a65 and it served me well for all my build logs
JSoltoft
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 02:16 AM UTC
Great build Johan. I'm looking forward to the paint job.
- Johan
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC
Johan (what a great name ): thanks! Hope I'll don't make a mess...

Steven: I think I need to ask my wife for some camera lessons since she owns a pretty nice Nikon. (So many buttons )! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been following your builds here on armorama and your PE-work is a true inspiration. I hope that one day I can match your level of quality and workmanship!
JSoltoft
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 06:14 PM UTC
Will you bring the model to C4-Open this year?
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hey!
What is C4-open?

no airbrushing yet... Started to warm up with some brush paintign:

I got everything setup though so hopefully i can get some time in this week (will need to test on some scrap models before moving on to the actual one)
JSoltoft
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 08:54 PM UTC
C4-Open is held every October in the city of Malmö. C4 is named after the Danish king Christian the fourth. It is in my opinion the best show in Scandinavia.

- Johan
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 07:14 PM UTC
Ah, I see. To be honest I've never considered taking a model anywhere other than the bookshelf...
Looks like fun though, if I manage to finish it I'll at least consider it!

While getting the airbrush skills back to speed (currently abusing an old 88) i started on the base. It's mini arts "house with fountain". It's the second of these I've built and i really like them. Affordable with decent detail! (Still not quite figured out how to get the most out of the vaccuform but that's on me)

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 12:20 AM UTC
You may want to check your references for the antenna. It should be tapered. Excellent job, on the etch.
modelthing
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC
Looking good. Are the miniart buildings to 1/35 scale though? Because I've had a few and felt like the windows and doors were bigger than 1/35. Maybe it's just me. Look forward to seeing this done though.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
Matt: Yea, I tried to cheat it since I couldnt figure out the whole "stretched sprue" thing.. Might have to give it another go!

Jordan: They are said to be 1/35 but i agree that they seem to be a bit out of scale. The door is especially noticeable as beeing really high. I can do some measurements later tonight!
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 09:33 AM UTC
I did some measurements and the door is 70x28mm which translates to about 245x100cm.
So it's not that much off in width. In height though, I'd say at least ~12mm off (compared to a normal swedish door)
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Johan,
Your project is coming along nicely. Dioramas are great but you'll need a bigger bookshelf!!!

The sprue-stretching thing: I just clamp one end of the sprue down and carefully heat with a moving cigarette lighter while pulling the sprue. Once cooled, check for a suitable section -- viola! Handy for scratching misc. lost bits and parts as well. Scratch-build lost parts and they will appear!!!

I was wondering about the MiniArt Diorama: Was there originally more depth around the perimeter edge (approx. 7mm or so)? It looks like you cut that off. I recommend leaving it on. I just cut a thin recess for it into a 1" thick piece of Styrofoam block. Then I fill the base irregularities with Tile Grout (just enough to level smooth). I sandwich the two together and let the assembly cure. Viola! I have a nice sturdy base to work on.

In addition, to add some rigidity to the building sections, I've noticed that some builders will fill them with expanding foam being mindfull to leave an exit hole for the expanding foam to escape.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress.
--mike
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
That dio looks very cool, I'm looking forward to see how you'll finish it.

Kind regards, Sven.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
Johan,
Is that Sierra Pale Ale ( ) I see in the background? -- one of my favorites. Unfortunately I can't drink and dio! I had one beer earlier tonight and became totally useless to continue on my dio construction!

Skål! !
--mike
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 07:13 PM UTC
Nice backdrop for the Pz IV. How is your painting practising coming along? Do you use acrylics? I've been practising some modulation with AK acrylics, and I start to understand why some people swear to lacquer thinned tamiya acrylics, as they behave much better compared to water based acrylics. But then again, that might just be me...

Looking forward to the next update.

I drink and dio all the time (Ronnie James Dio that is)