_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
am parts for dragons M48
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
anything out there yet that'll backdate to an A1/2? like to build something up from the Berlin Blockade. some pix here: http://checkpoint-charlie.berlin-brigade.com/1961/index.php
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:48 PM UTC
I've always wanted to do a check point Charlie - one of the most iconic Cold War moments.

I think you'd be better off to use a backdate kit for the Tamyia kit. I've seen it around - mainly an entire replacement upper hull if I remember correctly. Throw in a couple of m38 jeeps and the guardhouse and you've got the Cold War all wrapped up in one moment.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:05 PM UTC
Legend makes an M48A1 conversion that includes a whole new upper hull.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
Legends M48A1 conversion with Tamiya M48A3 and a bit of scratch

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:03 AM UTC
James,

'Just love the M48. Was the extra fuel racking the same as fitted to the M103? If so, was it after market or did you scratch? If the latter, what drawings/references did you utilise?

If not too taxing, I would plan to fit a fuel rack to the much maligned Dragon M103, not least as there's a fair bit of evidence that they were so fitted.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Brian
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC
Thanks! I built this thing a while ago but here it goes; Tamiya lower hull and running gear. AFV Club tracks. Legends upper hull and turret. Tamiya hull sponson boxes, the Legends ones were so-so. Tamiya bustle rack, decals were a mix of paint, spares and individual letters and numbers. Fuel rack was all scratch built and the drums are Tamiya from the late 70’s or early 80’s, I don’t throw nothing away! Fenders are all Legends PE that came with the conversion but every single nut and bolt on them was placed one at a time and they came from an Academy M60A1 with reactive armor, they came off the reactive armor panels. Turret rails are styrene and fishing line. The model is supposed to represent Elvis Presley’s tank from the movie GI Blues. Got the inspiration from, I think, an old issue of MMiR. Reference for the fuel racks came from all over the place, mostly internet. The Legends conversion was great and fit the Tamiya hull perfectly.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:24 AM UTC
Other options to convert the Tamiya kit are CMD and Hobby Fan.

Cheers,

Christophe
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks! I built this thing a while ago but here it goes; Tamiya lower hull and running gear. AFV Club tracks. Legends upper hull and turret. Tamiya hull sponson boxes, the Legends ones were so-so. Tamiya bustle rack, decals were a mix of paint, spares and individual letters and numbers. Fuel rack was all scratch built and the drums are Tamiya from the late 70’s or early 80’s, I don’t throw nothing away! Fenders are all Legends PE that came with the conversion but every single nut and bolt on them was placed one at a time and they came from an Academy M60A1 with reactive armor, they came off the reactive armor panels. Turret rails are styrene and fishing line. The model is supposed to represent Elvis Presley’s tank from the movie GI Blues. Got the inspiration from, I think, an old issue of MMiR. Reference for the fuel racks came from all over the place, mostly internet. The Legends conversion was great and fit the Tamiya hull perfectly.

James.

Many thanks for such a comprehensive answer. I just love 50s/60s armour - vey inspirational.

Thanks again,

Brian
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:46 AM UTC
Me too, and as a matter of fact about two weeks ago I had to move everything out of my model room for new carpet. In moving back in I boxed up all of my German WWII stuff and most of my American WWII stuff, left out a few Shermans and my Dragon Wagon. I then got all of my modern stuff in order starting with the M48A1 working back to my M1A2 TUSK II. I once had a goal; build all the M48 / M60 and M1 series of tanks, Bradleys too. Trust me, there are a lot! I’m at work now but I have about 14 M1’s built and a few on the bench, 3 Bradleys and an MLRS. Can’t even remember how many M48 / M60’s, but I do have an M60 and an M728 CEV and I just recently found an Italeri M47 to add to the group. I also have a lot of HUMVEEs and M151’s and a half-built M1070 that I need to finish, what a beast! Oh, and I have the dreaded Dagon M103A1, strait from the box, built painted and waiting for decals
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:36 AM UTC
thx ya'll. I guessing there's nothing for dragon's non-modB version. with the Tamiya the suspension arms'll have to be lowered a bit. looks like it'll be legend's, iffn I can find one

edit: wellp, everything on the way
Gruntdoc
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:27 PM UTC
Nice build Kenaicop, I love the cold war stuff too.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Legends M48A1 conversion with Tamiya M48A3 and a bit of scratch

what paints were used for this rather nicely done specimen? I would've thought it'd be a darker olive drab
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:48 AM UTC
Not sure of the top coat, it's been a while, but it was primed with black and it is much darker in real life than it is in the photo. My primary paints are Model Master and Tamiya, so it had to be one of those. It also has a nice sheen to it like the older cold war era tanks have. It's not perfect but it is one of my better builds
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:51 AM UTC
lighting has a bad habit of doing that. anyway, found this link: http://www.google.com/url?q=https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php%3Fop%3Dmodload%26name%3DSquawkBox%26file%3Dindex%26req%3Dviewtopic%26topic_id%3D163205&sa=U&ei=fQRkU7r9HYaf8QHg-oHIBA&ved=0CBAQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEcKM2clAffwQbkN-hsgr4Rv_wezA and it includes a color pic. bot US and sooskie tanks appear to be a similar shade of olive green. think I'll be going with that
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:26 PM UTC
as bad as the tamiya is, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the non-mod B would've been a better choice. either way, I'll need to do a bit of cutting to make the rear plate fit. anyone know if the legends will fit the dragon lower hull?
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
just got tam's M48. did they retool this one? the upper/lower hull have a slightly roughened appearance. the suspension arms don't seem to have the higher angle and I had found a build log where some filing/filling and been done where the final drive housing is mounted, but not on mine. I had built this yrs ago and I don't remember it being this good

Kenaicop, did you have to remove part of the lower rear to make the rear plate fit? in looking at the instruction pic from the inbox review here it seems it has to be
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:48 AM UTC
Man I really don’t remember. I‘m at work right now, let me get home later and I’ll take a look. I still have the directions from the Legends set in a folder at home. I’ll take a look and let you know, but I don’t think I had to do any surgery to get anything to fit.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:41 PM UTC
Looking at the directions right now, no surgery required, the whole conversion is a drop fit, but get ready to install about a billion bolt heads
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:52 PM UTC
that's a relief, no cutting. this is the part that replaces the vertical exhaust grill, right? thx
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:58 PM UTC
Yes, entire upper and rear hull
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC
the conversion arrived, and it seem some cutting will have to be done, just inside of where the final drive housing is located, at least according to the photo. it's 13,5mm to the outside but that doesn't make sense. cutting that off leaves nowhere for the housing to be attached pic below for reference. location is inside trailing arm. it looks like it's the area where the tail lights and tow pintle mount are.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/16026/02.jpg
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:02 AM UTC
I really don’t recall cutting anything. Get the casting blocks cut off and get everything lined up and see what you have. I save everything,literally,and I don’t have the rear end of an M48A3 anywhere!
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 11:16 PM UTC
there's a section of the tam lower rear hull that had to be removed to make room for the new rear plate. I ended up taking a bit too much, but not enuff to ruin things
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
You're right, I'll be damned, I pulled the turret off mine and looked by inside there and sure enough I can see resin. For the life of me I don't remember cutting anything, but I must have
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 10:40 PM UTC
lol. I'll be damned too, or should be. in fitting the phone box to the rear plate it was too late to turn it right side up other than that, I never wanna see bolt heads ever again. they do look good tho. gonna turn out nmice when done.
 _GOTOTOP