_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Bronco 6pdr with 1/4ton Truck and Crew
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
Well time for a fun build log, this is the Bronco British 6 Pdr Anti-Tank Gun (Airborne) with 1/4 Ton Truck and Crew (CB-35170). This wonderful looking kit was reviewed by Darren Baker (CMOT) a little while back here. I will be building this straight out of the box, and am looking to have some fun. The kit looks to include some great details with photo-etched.

Armorama would like to thank Dragon Models USA for this review item.

Having looked at the instructions, the build looks rather straight forward, so stay tuned and I will get this kicked off.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

I'll look forward to the build. I have both the new kits and just need more hands and hours in the day to get them started.

A great time for Allied modellers, so much great new stuff to choose from.

Cheers

Al
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:58 AM UTC
I have started working on the frame, and this kit is a dream to put together. The fit is great, and it just seem to fall together with some good looking detail. If you want to leave the engine hood open, the engine could be detailed up with some bits of wire.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:10 AM UTC
Great start Kev
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hi Kevin, I'll be following with interest. Off to a good start.

Al
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:59 AM UTC
One to a little interior work, and again, the fit has been great.

Now comes the question of what part Ja20 is? And exactly how it mounts? And it says to bend it, put it is plastic??? Bend it how, what shape?

I have tried to find some reference pictures online of what it is suppose to represent, but have not had any luck.

But the seats went together well.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 04:26 PM UTC
Good progress Kevin.

Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 03:16 AM UTC
Those 'bend/fold', and 'superglue' symbols probably refer to part PA 15, which is PE. Part Ja 20 appears to be plastic, and is probably a typo. Bronco must have attended the DML school of instruction printing.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those 'bend/fold', and 'superglue' symbols probably refer to part PA 15, which is PE. Part Ja 20 appears to be plastic, and is probably a typo. Bronco must have attended the DML school of instruction printing.

Now that you point that out, you are correct, so then what is Ja20? and exactly how is it attached?

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 04:56 AM UTC
Bronco often offer both plastic and PE and so that may be the answer.
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC
Ja20 across the back of the seat is actually part of the front stretcher support for those vehicles fitted with the folding stretcher frame on the rear panel. Leave it off.

sk
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC
Looking good so far Kevin. You might want to consider leaving off the bench seat back rest as well as these don't seem to be fitted to most operational Airborne jeeps, or at the very lead the height is greatly reduced.

I'm currently building the first release, absolutely stunning kits. With my grandfather being an 'Airborne Gunner' at Arnhem I can't wait for the 75mm towed version.
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 10:43 AM UTC
One other thing to consider is the spare wheel. No reference is made to it in the kit. You have a number of options

1. leave it off
2. place on the rear panel - but moved about 6 scale inches to the RHS to clear the towing A - frame - ensure the edge of the tyre does not extend too far beyond the edge of the vehicle
3. place on the body side in the area in front of the drivers door cut-out

2 can be seen without a wheel attached in the famous picture of a jeep + 6 pounder driving towards Arnhem
3 can be seen in the van Meel/Baan book

The spare wheel carrier is still included in the kit - you just need to add the lips on either side and the mounting bolts

sk
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips, I have done some reference checks, and it seems the back rest does exist in most photos I have seen.

So I have added the jerry cans, and now I have moved the frame and body off to prime and paint the underside.

On to the gun, and for anyone afraid of SMALL parts, this may not be the kit for you. The sight contains many small parts, and can be a little finicky to put together.

Building the sight mechanism will require a very good pair of fine tweezers, a good optimizer, and lots of patience.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
I suppose half the modellers will love this kit because of the intricate detail, and the other half will condemn this kit because of "over-engineering"!
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 12:26 PM UTC
So while the frame and underside of the jeep was drying (paint), I assembled the barrel, and again, no issues, fit was great, and only a little sanding.

Back to the jeep, it was just a tad finnicky getting the frame on to the bottom of the jeep. But fit was generally good.

With the engine complete, I did not get it a full detailed paint job, as I am closing the hood, but it does leave room for some detailed wiring and hoses for a great looking engine with the hood up.

Now the hood is installed and time to add some nice detail included in the kit. I did use masking tape to add the slings to the rifles.

I have learned a lesson about really paying attention to instructions. On Step 18 it show mounting of parts B1-2, signal lights on front fenders.

After scouring the sprues, I could not find the parts, looked at the sprue diagram, and no luck either. Well looking back through the instructions, I notice at Step 9, mounting the radiator housing, you cut two lights off, and guess what parts they become?

I cut the part off and discarded it, I guess not realizing the "STANDBY" meant to keep the part as it would be used better. A lapse on my part, or poor explanation on Bronco's part?

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
You Plonker Rodney
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC
Work continues, mounting the gun to the shield is a bit finicky, I actually has to glue the elevation mount as it is very tight trying to hold the two halves of the elevation mounts and attach to the shield.

For the cradle, I replace the plastic holder for the front lower shield with wire, as they actual plastic parts are a little thick and don't fit well.

Now everything is off to primer. My plan is to mount the ammo containers after paint due to the decals.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I suppose half the modellers will love this kit because of the intricate detail, and the other half will condemn this kit because of "over-engineering"!

I am firmly in the over engineered camp. There are so many parts included particularly in the Sight / Elevation and Traverse that add no detail other than seeking to raise the part count e.g. under each of those WIngnuts on the telescope is a small (miniscule actually) disc. These could easily have been moulded integrally with the telescope tube with no loss of intricate detail.
The Riich and Bronco Guns both suffer this as well the Riich one has very poor parts location with a lot of but joins of miniscule surface area holding up large heavy parts which will result in a very fragile kit

I love all three of the released 6 pounders but they are a real challenge of patience and eyesight! The AFV one seems to have the best balance of Detail and construction to my tiring eyes.
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 12:03 AM UTC
Excellent progress Kevin, looking good so far.

On the parts count they are dammed if the do and dammed if they don't. Modellers have been constantly asking for greater detail and then when it comes along complain about over engineering. (No dig intended Al.) I deal with this by thinking more build for your bucks or a nice simple construction.

There was an advertising slogan from the Rank Organisation that used to come up in the days when I went to the pictures a lot; "We can't please all the people all the time, but we please most of the people most of the time."

The Bronco kits are not aimed at beginners me thinks, but at the more serious/experienced modellers (if serious is the right word to use). They can strain the old eyeball but the end result gives a great kit and a lot of pleasure in achieving the build. Building any kit is a challenge building a Bronco kit is a bigger one.

I'm looking forward to building more of their stuff, but know there will be times when I get a bit frustrated with the tiny parts. lol.

Cheers

Al
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 10:04 AM UTC
Well the Jeep and gun have been to the paint shop for a coat or two of Vallejo Olive Drab.

After some fading with True Earth, started to apply decals.

Now that most of the vehicle and gun are done, will get started on the figures. My plan is to leave the vehicle and gun lightly weathered, just like it would have recently come out of the glider.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Good progress, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers

Al
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 04:12 AM UTC
I have to say Kev that despite the early mishap, you are flying through this model.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 12:09 PM UTC
Have started the figures, and in most cases they are a good fit. The figures go together very well, minimal clean up. The fit in the vehicle is hit and miss, the driver and passenger fit very well. The images show three passengers in the back, but not a very good fit. The one hanging of the passenger side, need to have something under his butt in the jeep for him to fit right. The one that is suppose to fit inside, well not the best. And the other guy, I thought he could ride the gun. The one standing at the back of the gun seems a little too tall, his hands don't really reach the gun shield.

So now time for a little figure painting, not my best subject, but I like to try.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So now time for a little figure painting, not my best subject, but I like to try.

Kevin, go for it... With five figures to do, you're going to get some good practice in!
 _GOTOTOP