_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
MUSEUM
Bovington Tank Museum
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:48 AM UTC
Matt Flegal shares with us his opinion of Bovington Tank Museum and its collection in words and pictures.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:25 AM UTC
Darren congratulations!!!
I visited the Bovington Museum at last August and I love it. You described very well the trip from Waterloo Station to Woll. Unfortunately, I had only one day and I must return to London at same day. My advice is: If you want to visit the enormous collection of this Museum with calm, spend two day in Woll and don't forget more than one battery for camera.
About others military museums,if anyone visit Rio de Janeiro you must visit a small armour museum called Museu Conde de Linhares. In this museum you will find all tanks and vehicles used by Brazilian Army and some of Nazi stuffs captured in IIWW like Flak 88 mm. I recommend and I will try to do a location scouting of this Museum.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:57 PM UTC
What a great museum that is,

I visisted it a few weeks ago and I was stunned by the collection. However, the Tiger I was gone. The official told us it was in the workshop to get prepped for a special tank day. Luckily they decided to give me and a few other people a chance to take a look in the workshop were they were restauring all their vehicles and we had a very nice chat with the man leading the restauration of the Tiger I, who gave us some detailed info about the origin of the Bovington vehicle, and the few remaining other ones in the world. It was a great day!

cheers,

Mat

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

I haven't been down since it got it's make over, but the two visits I had were excellent even then. TH Lawrence's cottage is not far away either.

I hope to get down for a couple of days next time, so much to see.

Cheers and glad you enjoyed the visit.

Al
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC
Def on my "must do" modeling bucket list. Duxford last Fall was another one, and the musée des blindés in Saumur is the third.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:13 AM UTC
To anyone coming any distance (e.g. from the U.S.), I would recommend timing your visit to a "Tankfest" weekend, where you will see numerous tanks of all ages, including the Tiger, in action. The ticket also includes entrance to the museum, and there are usually re-enactors and model stands as well. This year's is the 28th and 29th June.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC
Ah, what memories. I spent two happy years stationed at Bovington, in fact the hangars where we stored our Land Rovers were right behind the museum so it was very accessible for me. I guess Wool has changed a lot since then (1972) but I see from google maps that the Ship Inn still exists. I had lunch there one day shortly before I moved to the US in 2003
matlev
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
I just loved Bovington when i went there in december but I was also unlucky with the Tiger being away to shoot a new Brad Pitt movie. If someone should be interested in "odd" armour I could really recommend our national armour museum here in Sweden, called "Arsenalen". A pretty nice collection and they are right now restoring one of only two or three surviving German LKII tanks from WW1 to running condition and the aim is to have the first official, in public, drive at the "real" centenary, 2016
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 03:07 PM UTC
You guys making me so jealous! I never been there, may be one day I could make a trip...
 _GOTOTOP