_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya WW1 MK IV
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What happened to all the negative chatter from previous threads? I guess it all depends now on how much Tamiya wants for their model, and how much Takom wants for theirs.

Which is why it is better to wait and see rather than slag off what has not been seen

Al

Probably because now we've seen it it looks rather good and the tracks aren't rubber bands which makes a big difference.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at the pic of the track links I wonder if they might be soft vinyl. Thats a pretty hefty 'pin' to get in the hole if they are hard plastic.

As indicated by Marcus in his FB post on this - Styrene. This looks like a joy to build like the CHar B

Al
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC
This looks pretty promising indeed. Unless the Takom kit has 10x better detail it will come down to price for me. While a MKI certainly doesn't fit in with all my Cold War tanks no collection is complete without such a historical vehicle.

Erik
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What happened to all the negative chatter from previous threads? I guess it all depends now on how much Tamiya wants for their model, and how much Takom wants for theirs.

Which is why it is better to wait and see rather than slag off what has not been seen

Al

Probably because now we've seen it it looks rather good and the tracks aren't rubber bands which makes a big difference.

"Which is why it is better to wait and see rather than slag off what has not been seen"

That might well be the case but you can't blame people for thinking motorized = toylike with rubber band tracks.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC
Specially when HLJ had it listed for $29
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looking at the pic of the track links I wonder if they might be soft vinyl. Thats a pretty hefty 'pin' to get in the hole if they are hard plastic.

As indicated by Marcus in his FB post on this - Styrene. This looks like a joy to build like the CHar B

Al

I don't go anywhere near FB so I hadn't seen that
Agamemnon2
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That might well be the case but you can't blame people for thinking motorized = toylike with rubber band tracks.

Precisely. It's much better to be in error sometimes than stifle all conversation because some mealy-mouthed happiness patrol doesn't think one's being reasonable.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:38 PM UTC
The problem is that online modellers read all the unfounded negativity and don't buy the kit. A good case in point is the Academy Lee which was slagged for an incorrect turret, totally wrong hull angles , missing rivets - in summary it was trashed. It turned out the reviewer got it wrong but by then the whole agony brigade had soundly trashed what is a competent model. Worse still other reviewers repeated this error infinitum.
To the reviewers credit he revised this when pointed out and provided with accurate official drawings but the horse had truly bolted and I regularly see the same comments raised when someone asks about it or the Grant (Supposed wrong shape and undersize turret - another reviewer and it is not, just under textured).

An aftermarket company made a "corrected" Hull & turret of which only the turret was correct. This erroneous aftermarket got glowing reviews but cannot be correct if its hull angles are different to the Kit. The turret was nice though even though the kit one was one of the types produced and it only needs a little rounding off

The Academy Grant and Lee are not without errors but the only major one is the position of the 37 in relation to its trunnions which is not hard to correct.

This kit looks excellent , yes it is motorised but it looks every bit the serious model on par with releases like the Char B.

I hope I am not reading in ten years time about Tamiyas toy Mk IV

Al
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
Love the scale of this beast!
Personally I don't care much for speculation. Tamiya usually puts out releases with great quality and fit and I don't want to fault them before seeing it with my own eyes!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Precisely. It's much better to be in error sometimes than stifle all conversation because some mealy-mouthed happiness patrol doesn't think one's being reasonable.

Bullcrap. It was wrong to be wrong because all anyone had to go on was a single illustration and the word "motorized". The slaggers weren't conversing, merely moaning based on nothing at all.

People weren't saying to hold off because they wanted everyone to be happy, they were saying just sit on your hands for a few days because you are talking out your ass just to hear yourself talk.

KL
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Exactly. I doubt it's the case but who knows maybe Tamiya saw people talking about the tracks and decided to do proper links instead of rubber bands.

Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bullcrap. It was wrong to be wrong because all anyone had to go on was a single illustration and the word "motorized". The slaggers weren't conversing, merely moaning based on nothing at all.

People weren't saying to hold off because they wanted everyone to be happy, they were saying just sit on your hands for a few days because you are talking out your ass just to hear yourself talk.

KL

Not really. Most motorised tanks have usually got rubber tracks (especially from Tamiya) so it's perfectly understandable people thought these MkIV's might have them.

I had my suspiciouns Tamiya might do something better but we weren't to know.
Agamemnon2
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What a remarkable thing to say.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hibbyeasy has it on pre-order for about $54.. but says "Price not yet fixed"... maybe they're waiting to see how much Takom will charge for theirs

Hisham

Hobby Search has it on pre-order for around $57.00 USD. Maybe tack on an extra $5 - $10 for N. America - still not too bad.
 _GOTOTOP