Need Help With M561 Gama Goat
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hey All,

I need photographic help with a project I am considering. I'm thinking of building the Tamiya M561 Gama Goat, and scratch building the engine compartment.

I need good close-up photos of the entire engine compartment. I have done the web searches using Bing and Google, and there are some pictures available, but not good, clear close-ups.

Does anyone have access to an M561 and would be willing to take and post pictures on here for me? I would need them from as many angles as possible.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:25 AM UTC
The below site has some great pics of the engine and compartment. It also has info on the engine and tranny...

"It had a Detroit Diesel 3-cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine, and a 4-speed manual transmission with synchro-mesh on second, third and fourth gears."

Gamma Goat
Removed by original poster on 05/16/14 - 18:28:29 (GMT).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:41 AM UTC
A few more engine pics (+ a video clip )

http://www.us-depot.de/probelauf-eines-gama-goat-m561-motors-detroit-diesel-3-53/videos/2012/04/

H.P.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
That link provided ought to be enough. I thought I had a bookmark of a site where you could download TMs.. I know it exists, so you could get a TM for it. However, I think the actual pics on the link are probably better suited for what you need compared to a TM with their had drawn/photos of specific parts and areas.

Cant wait to see it!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it exists, so you could get a TM for it. However, I think the actual pics on the link are probably better suited for what you need compared to a TM with their had drawn/photos of specific parts and areas.

Agree. I have the TM 9-2320-242-10 M561 Operatorīs Manual in PDF format and it only includes 2-3 engine views...that are much too dark to be useful anyway !

H.P.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:40 AM UTC
Thanks Gino, Frenchy and Bruce. I will check out the links and see what is useful there. I have not completely decided on this project, but it is under serious consideration.

It fits well with my new credo...Never settle for the easy OOB build. Go for the hair-pulling, sanity testing, life shortening alternative.

Dave
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gino, Frenchy and Bruce. I will check out the links and see what is useful there. I have not completely decided on this project, but it is under serious consideration.

It fits well with my new credo...Never settle for the easy OOB build. Go for the hair-pulling, sanity testing, life shortening alternative.

Dave

Add "when complete, enter it in the next AMPS Show"

Ya gotta do it...

John
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:49 PM UTC
Hey John. Nice to here from you. Glad to see you haven't changed.

Dave
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
Since I had some good help finding pictures, I thought I would post some pictures of the finished model.

Pictures of the in progress engine:

The finished and mounted engine:

Dave
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 12:04 AM UTC
Looks outstanding....so close I can hear one coming!! LOL

Great build, hope to see it at a show

Rounds Complete!!
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
Thanks Mike.

I was a fan of your Commander's Gama Goat build. In fact because of your blog on it I even considered building the Commander version but Tamiya came out with theirs before I took the plunge. The only problem was the fact that Tamiya did not provide an engine, and there were no AM engine kits for it, so I tried my first completely scratch built engine. That took about a week and a half to gather reference materials and then actually fabricate the engine from scrap resin pour blocks, sheet plastic, plastic rod, lead solder, and various pieces from the parts box. But it was a good learning experience.

Dave
 _GOTOTOP