_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Track Tension
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC
I might already know the answer to this but I would like to get your take on the matter: When tracked vehicles are moving at high speed, is there tension on the upper run of tracks? Personally, I like the look of track sag but shouldn't that be reserved for vehicles at rest or travelling at very slow speeds?

—mike
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:59 AM UTC
No sag when moving at speed, the track run over the top of the track or track top rollers is under massive tension when the tank is moving even under slowish speed,

Regards

Dan
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 08:22 AM UTC
It's irrelevant that the vehicle is moving at speed. What matters is acceleration, not speed.
If the vehicle is accelerating forwards, or climbing a slope, or if there's a lot of friction due to the condition of the ground; there will be tension in the top track.

David
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 09:33 AM UTC
If the drive sprocket is in front and the track has natural looseness and the tank is going forward, then the top rung tension becomes very visible. Indeed, any sag will come between the sprocket and the frontmost road wheel.

If the drive sprocket is in the rear, the top rung tension is less obvious when the tank is driving forward. The greatest tension will be the section between the rear sprocket and the rearmost road wheel.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC
Just as I thought. Thanks guys, for keeping me on the right track!

—mike
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
Great answer, Roy. Most people don't take sprocket position into the equation... and it really does make a big difference.
 _GOTOTOP