_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
3 quick airbrush and gloss questions
sunburnthammer
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hello, three quick, hopefully, newbie questions

1) just sprayed a 50/50 ipa to tamiya clear satin gloss, used a 3mm nozzle and needle so don't think I got quite the coat I need prior to applying decals. Also got these white marks in a few places. What are they?

2) in the future for applying gloss coats and base coats would it be best to invest in a single action airbrush, maybe something similar to the badger 350?

3) with my iwata clone double action with the 3mm nozzle and needle am I completely restricted to this width of spray. Is there anything I can adjust on the airbrush to alter this width or just look at getting a 5mm nozzle and needle?

Thanks in advance, just need to resolve these minor blocks before I progress with my kit.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC
I would recommend sticking with the double action airbrush. The best gloss coat that I've found is Pledge Future. I can't recall what it currently goes by. I'm sure someone else will post this. Don't thin the Future. It is self leveling. I apply about three coats at 25psi, slow passes one inch away. Just let it dry between coats. You can also apply it by brush. I have a Badger Krome with .3mm nozzle and needle. You shouldn't need an larger. Spring for the .5mm nozzle and needle, if you are determined to go bigger.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
The questions may be quick, but the subject matter is very subjective as I were, so the answers may take awhile to sift through.

Good luck on your quest for knowledge as it is power.

sunburnthammer
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions over the white marking/ reside that formed in a few places? Wondering if a bit if water got in the airbrush.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC
When applying a clear gloss for decaling, I judge the dried finish to determine if it's good enough or not. I don't go by any particular number of coats.

Once the gloss has dried, I hold it up to the light and sight along it at an angle. If the finish in the area for the decal is completely smooth and level, then it's good. If the finish has any rough or dull-looking spots, then I give it another coat.

The object of the exercise is to create a totally smooth surface for the decal. Any irregularities are potential trouble spots where silvering could occur. Check to see if you have this, and if not, then you need more gloss clear.

I don't know the source of the trouble that you have with the white spots, but in the future, I would suggest using clear gloss and not a clear satin for this purpose.

BTW: I also use Future, undiluted and sprayed neat for this. However, I have used other clear gloss (Floquil Crystal Cote, Testor's Gloss Coat, Tamiya clear, etc) and I judged the results the exact same way, by visually checking the smoothness of the gloss coat once it's dry.

HTH and happy modeling!
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would recommend sticking with the double action airbrush. The best gloss coat that I've found is Pledge Future. I can't recall what it currently goes by. I'm sure someone else will post this.

The current product name in the US is "Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish", and there is a primer on the various alternate products available in other countries at The Complete Future at swannysmodels.com.
sunburnthammer
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 05:09 AM UTC
Here are the white marks left across the model after I have gloss coated it. 50/50 tamiya clear with ipa. Pretty gutted that I keep getting these marks.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 06:11 AM UTC
Have you tried using X20A thinner instead of IPA , your using the alcohol out of a bottle from say CVS ? When you say Tamiya clear is X22 ?
sunburnthammer
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Used the suggested tip of putting the undiluted gloss on the patches and this cleared it up. Invested in some vallejo gloss varnish, will thin it slightly and give a go.
 _GOTOTOP