_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
I take offense to this description
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 11:48 PM UTC
I clicked on one of the Armorama sponsor links and this was the first thing that came up:

I hardly think that those are "terrorists" with a hostage.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 11:50 PM UTC
lol !!! Bunch of pr*cks!! Not Armorama mind you, the company that wrote that ad !
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 12:47 AM UTC
Who are they attempting to depict by those figures? Not sure myself
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC
I guess the guys in the on-line shop only had a quick glance at the box-art and misidentified the SF operators with Talibans.
I don't think there is any pun intended.
The box title is not clear too.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 01:30 AM UTC
You can't blame masterbox either they list the set as 'Somewhere in the middle east, present day.' Looks like the vendor simply put 2 and 2 together and made 6.

Paul
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
or the writer is from Afghanistan or Iraq.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 02:09 AM UTC
It could be confusing...the sprue image shows 7 weapons: 3 M4 variants, 3 AK variants and a PK LMG with an open butt stock, though the cover shows an M249 and the assembled figures an M240. Master Box site. A couple figures could easily pass for Muhajedeen from the 80's.

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 02:11 AM UTC
The vendor in question, Plastic-Model-Store.Com, has a contact page that can easily be used to voice your opinions of this characterization of the Master Box figure set.

Plastic Model Store::Contact Us Page

If you find this offensive (and I did), use the link to send them a message and let them know what you think.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The vendor in question, Plastic-Model-Store.Com, has a contact page that can easily be used to voice your opinions of this characterization of the Master Box figure set.

Plastic Model Store::Contact Us Page

If you find this offensive (and I did), use the link to send them a message and let them know what you think.

Thanks Mike. I already sent them an email through their website as well as their ebay store.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can't blame masterbox either they list the set as 'Somewhere in the middle east, present day.' Looks like the vendor simply put 2 and 2 together and made 6.

Paul

Right. The reseller took it upon himself to add the "terrorist" part. It's almost as if it was done on purpose. I know, I am probably reading too much into it but this just isn't cool.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:12 AM UTC
On the back of the box it even says in plain English where the picture that the figures were based off of came from and shows the picture. I wonder how Robert (Bravo18) feels about this description, I don' think he would like being called a terrorist!
Plastic-Models-Store
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hello Guys.
We are EXTREMELY sorry for this unbelievable mistake.
To get clear the situation I can confirm:
1. This is NOT Armorama fault - that was our banner
2. This is NOT Master Box fault - they are very good guys and I know them personally
3. This is absolutely OUR manager fault. It was wrong first look at the box cover and manager didn't realized that those guys on the picture are US special forces - he thought that they are arab terrorists. After that our banner designer made such mistake too. It was like chain reaction.
We are deeply sorry if you find this offensive - WE NEVER WANTED TO HURT ANY FEELINGS.
Thanks to all of you to let us know about this mistake. We of course have already fixed it.
YeaH. We looks a bit stupid now
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
They fixed the description.
It now says "US Special Forces with a Taliban Prisoner."

Good job on catching that!

young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
Not sure why one should be offended, a simple typo does not need to cause so many hard feelings, surely? :-)

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
A simple E-mail pointing out the error would have resolved this I suspect, and as has been stated it has now been corrected.
Plastic-Models-Store
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC
Yep. I really understand how feel some SF soldiers to read this - it looks like disrespect to them from our side. However we never wanted to do this, because we do respect history and all historical events can't been distort.
Just not all employees know history so good to exclude such mistakes.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC
Depends on what side of the fence you are from . I guess if you are Taliban then the SF from your view could be terrorist . And vice versa .
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Guys.
We are EXTREMELY sorry for this unbelievable mistake.
To get clear the situation I can confirm:
1. This is NOT Armorama fault - that was our banner
2. This is NOT Master Box fault - they are very good guys and I know them personally
3. This is absolutely OUR manager fault. It was wrong first look at the box cover and manager didn't realized that those guys on the picture are US special forces - he thought that they are arab terrorists. After that our banner designer made such mistake too. It was like chain reaction.
We are deeply sorry if you find this offensive - WE NEVER WANTED TO HURT ANY FEELINGS.
Thanks to all of you to let us know about this mistake. We of course have already fixed it.
YeaH. We looks a bit stupid now

Thank you very much for correcting this mistake so quickly. I really appreciate that.

This looks a lot better now :-)

chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 06:08 AM UTC
Wonder if there's any Taliban modelers out there , and would they have bought this under the original description ?
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 06:30 AM UTC
Congrats to Martin for his notice on pointing this error and also congrats to Plastic-Models-Store on fixing it so fast and explanation on forum.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 06:33 AM UTC
Sorry to be on the fence here !!!!!!!

If we depict scenes of war, we should be prepared to take the viewpoint of all combatants !!!!!!! GOOD OR BAD !!!!!!!!!

If this was a depiction of CIA personnel and a potential terrorist in an orange boiler suit !!!!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,, A Malayan guerrilla head being carried by British troops to confirm identities !!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,, Japanese handing out grenades to their own women and children !!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,, Serbs marching Croats towards a wall !!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Russian and Chechenyian troops !!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,, Syrian agains Syrian !!!!!!!!!! South Africa ,,,,,,, Rodesia ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ENDLESS LIST !!!!!!!!!!

In my personal opinion, it is not about the country or the combatants or the cause ,,,,,,,,,,, even the rights or wrongs !!!!!!!!

We are in the wrong game if we put companies in the stocks for something like this !!!!!! One man's terrorist is another man's hero !!!!!!

I am sure many folks will still buy the set for some specific depiction or conversion to their theatre of operation !!!!!!

We have lots of prisoner and captive sets on the market !!!!! Nobody would object to the SS holding an Airborne Forces prisoner !!!!!!! Now would they ?????

JMHO

Nigel
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 08:28 PM UTC
There's a good proportion of the world that would think that description is quite correct. I'm not saying I do, far from it, however there's plenty that do.

As for being offended, you should google 'Stephen Fry Offended quote'. I'd post a link, but he ends it with a naughty word and I wouldn't want to offend anyone...
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC
True Phil.
Being in a country that is not yours, using covert operations/force/violence to achieve your own political goals, while not clearly being distinguishable as a military force..... Many would consider those acts of terrorism. All a matter of perspective...

And if someone is offended by it.... who's problem is that, really? If you do not like it, step away from it. Why expect someone else to take action and adjust to your view, just because you think the other one is wrong?
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 11:22 PM UTC
Truth hurts. Even when expressed by accident.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to be on the fence here !!!!!!!

If we depict scenes of war, we should be prepared to take the viewpoint of all combatants !!!!!!! GOOD OR BAD !!!!!!!!!

If this was a depiction of CIA personnel and a potential terrorist in an orange boiler suit !!!!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,, A Malayan guerrilla head being carried by British troops to confirm identities !!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,, Japanese handing out grenades to their own women and children !!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,, Serbs marching Croats towards a wall !!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Russian and Chechenyian troops !!!!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,, Syrian agains Syrian !!!!!!!!!! South Africa ,,,,,,, Rodesia ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ENDLESS LIST !!!!!!!!!!

In my personal opinion, it is not about the country or the combatants or the cause ,,,,,,,,,,, even the rights or wrongs !!!!!!!!

We are in the wrong game if we put companies in the stocks for something like this !!!!!! One man's terrorist is another man's hero !!!!!!

I am sure many folks will still buy the set for some specific depiction or conversion to their theatre of operation !!!!!!

We have lots of prisoner and captive sets on the market !!!!! Nobody would object to the SS holding an Airborne Forces prisoner !!!!!!! Now would they ?????

JMHO

Nigel

Extremely well put.

"Terrorist" or "Freedom Fighter" is completely dependent on the perspective of the viewer (and the point of view and beliefs of that person). That list of perspectives - as mentioned above - is endless.

Besides, I think that SF guys have much tougher skin than to be offended by a miss-titled modelling product. I am sure they have seen and heard much worse in their real world.

Before someone goes to the attack, I have to be clear: I am not condoning or supporting ANY acts of terror, in any way shape or form.

_GOTOTOP