_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Question on MT-LB
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hi!
I have seen a couple of pictures of an MT-LB with the self dig-in device at the rear and with a machine gun mount instead of the left side hull top hatch. However, pictures of this version seem to be rare. I am specially interested in details of the machine gun mount on the roof. Is it a NSV-T 12,7mm machine gun mount? Can anyone point me to some detail pictures of a MT-LB in such a configuration?

Thank You very much!
Andreas
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi Andreas;

Did you try too look at the e-net, and I think its only A 7.62 MG and not the NSVT. If our French friend cant Find you A pic, then Nobody can And I think Skiff made one of there MTLBs in 1/35 that came with the Blade in the Back !

CHEERS; MIKE.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 02:36 PM UTC
Andreas, your referring to the MT-LBVM that has the 12.7mm NSVT instead of the normal 7.62mm PKT turret. I haven't seen any pictures of this version with the entrenching blade attached to the rear of the vehicle, just the normal MT-LB has the blade.

MT-LB with blade and 7.62 turret

MT-LBVM with 12.7 NSVT

Also most of them appear to have the newer wider tracks which could be a problem as I'm not sure if any body produced these as after market set.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 02:56 PM UTC
here are a couple that shows the turret without the NSVT installed

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 03:16 PM UTC
There is one more variant which is the Polish WPT MORS, it's armed with the 12.7 NSVT and has a blade attach to the rear. The WPT is how ever a recovery vehicle and the blade totally different from the one used on the MT-LB. The turret for the NSVT is also much different from the one on the MT-LBVM.

AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:34 PM UTC
Dear Gentlemen,
thank you very much for your comments! However, this is not the vehicle that I had in mind. I can´t post the pictures here which I found some time ago via google, but here is a link that shows one of them in a UN mission in Liberia, here a version without that digging equipment at the rear. I found some more which clearly show that digging equipment stowed and in position for using, but unfortunately can´t find them again in the net.

http://defence.pk/threads/bangladesh-army.168816/page-30
(please scroll down a little)

Obviously it is a vehicle from the Bangladesh army. I do have another view of this vehicle taken more from the top and there it can be seen that this machine gun cupola is mounted instead of the left hand side roof crew hatch in front of the area where stowage can be strapped down on the roof.

Sadly, google did not find me more pictures of this version even when using different keywords. Yes, I am aware of the SKIF kit with that digging equipment at the rear and I plan to pick up one even the upcoming trumpeter MT-LB must be better than SKIF´s.

Thank you again!
Andreas

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 08:06 PM UTC
From the look of the MG muzzle, I would say it's a DShK and not a NSVT MG.
The good news is the tracks are those made by Friul.

If you don't like Skif kit, you could try the resin one made by Armo/Jadar of Poland.

Olivier
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 08:19 PM UTC
ere is one made by unimodel, although this might just be the skif one.

Paul
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 01:42 AM UTC
Andreas here is a side view of one of the variants you are looking for. it's not much.

The mount appears to be some sort of field modification. The first picture looks like it's on some sore of ring for full 360 rotation. The picture I have post the mount looks stationary but hard to tell. The gun is either going to be a DSHK or the Chinese copy the Type 58. You can see the cooling vains around the barrel and the lack of cocking handle that are on the front of the barrel for the NSV.

Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC
Okay the picture I just posted I thought was Bangladesh is actually from Nigeria. here are some more I found.

This version might be easier to do since the mount is just behind the roof hatch and stationary and has the entrenching lade your looking for.

Chris
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 01:20 PM UTC
You are not thinking of the AZM are you?

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If our French friend cant Find you A pic, then Nobody can

I guess you're talking about me Mike Sorry to be late on this one but I've been away from Internet for a few days...

All I can say is that it seems a MT-LB variant fitted with two 12.mm MG's (one NSV in the turret + one DShKM in the rear) was tested during the Afghanistan War
:

H.P.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC
I was reluctant to post these pics because the what looks to be rear (mid body) MG seems to have a turret base of some sort but seeing Frenchy's pics this might be applicable.

and this

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Those are ACRVs (artillery command vehicles) - not the same as an MTLB at all.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC
ACRV's are based on the MT-LBu chassis. Not the same as the MT-LB, but not too far off either.
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi!
Thank you very much Gentlemen for all your input! I think the variant tested in the Afghan war comes close, but it looks as if there the machine gun mount is on the right hand side instead of left on the Bangladesh one. I can see clearly now that the gun is a DShK and not a NSV. Thanks for pointing that out to me! Jacques, the AEV variant is not what I was looking for, but it seems to be a very interesting vehicle. Thank you very much for your help again, and I am curious to see how good the Trumpeter MT-LB will be-the Skif one is not that good ooB but the only game in town in plastic right now.

Andreas
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC
hay all I don't mean to change to topic but weren't the MT_LB used to resupply artillery units and if so dose any one have pics of how the were loaded
thanks dave
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi!
At least they were used by some countries (for example East German Army) to tow anti tank guns. Finnland uses them (MT-LBV) to tow mortars. There are some pictures existing, but non has ammunition stowed in visible places. Skif will make you believe that ammunition was stowed outside of the rear hull deck. So idea if this was real. Correct is that there is provision made to strap down load or top boxes/baskets on the hull top rear. However a search did not bring up in service pictures of such a pile of ammunition on the hull rear deck as showed in the artists view of Skif.

Andreas
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi;

And don't forget that the Soviets Straped the 82mm Mortar named Vasilok on the Back during there involvement in Afganistan.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However a search did not bring up in service pictures of such a pile of ammunition on the hull rear deck as showed in the artists view of Skif.

2B9 82mm automatic mortar :

You can even put something bigger on the hull top....

This one is a fire-fighting vehicle used on oil fields

H.P.
This post was removed.
 _GOTOTOP