_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Trumpeter's Sturer Emil
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hello,

Having finished the KV-1 yesterday, my fingers were itching already to start something new. This time, I'm going to build Trumpeter's Sturer Emil in 1:35.

I started out by building the lower case with suspensions and all the stuff and also mounted some of the wheels.

Since the Wehrmacht only built two of these machines, there is not much in terms of variations. I'm still oscillating between a standard German gray and a washed out winter camo version. Although, I haven't seen any pictures where it was wearing such a camo.

The only thing that needs corrected so far are some prominent ejection marks on the outside of the suspension pins. Admittedly, it will merely be visible on once the wheels are on but I still wanted this corrected.

And here are the lower hull and part of the wheels as they stand today.

As always your comments and feedback is greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 01:45 AM UTC
I really like this kit. It's so cheap for a big model with interior detail plus having that huge 12.8 cm K L/61
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 05:09 AM UTC
It indeed an eye catcher Let's see what I can bring out of it.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 06:01 AM UTC
I continued by adding some of the elements to the upper hull, including all the tools. these will be painted later with a 0 brush (keeping fingers crossed).

Next, the magazines and cartridges were built. Since the left and right cartridges are offered with two movable doors each, I decided to build them both partially open. I might leave them empty or place a shell inside one of them.

Speaking of shells, what kind of shells where normally held in these cartridges? Those that can be assembled from the kit are either too small or way to large to fit inside. Does anybody know?
The muffler was an easy one although it is built from three parts.

Next up, the canon support with the two side seats. Again, perfectly fitting parts!

Along with the interior, the gun is probably the most complex part. Although, easy to assemble it does require a certain amount of attention.

At this point I'm unsure about the position of one element. Can anyone help, please? Thanks!

This is how far I've got! please let me know your thoughts, critic, comments, whatever you care to share!

Thanks!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC
Looking good so far and as someone said, for the price it's a great build with a pretty detailed fighting compartment.

I added an RB barrel and soon some AM tracks.

Might even build another. Keep us posted!

Jeff
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
Once all the steps above have been completed, it was finally time to start the painting process. The first step was applying a layer of Vallejo German Grey followed by a "dust" of the same color brightened by about 30% of Revell Matt White (05).

The contrast is a bit harsh but this will be toned down by a black-brown filter later.

The crew deck was also painted in the same shade of gray. This part will receive some weathering with several wood colors later to simulate the worn wood deck under the paint.

The muffler has also been rusted and will most probably receive a black-brown wash somewhere down the road as it is a bit too reddish as it is now.

As always comments and critique is more than welcome!
Cristian
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 10:50 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing Cristian. I like the shading work on the hull and turret. Indeed the muffler is too reddish. Maybe it being being on close-up, but I find the texture over done -- looks as if its about to fall off. Cheers, Tat
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 11:14 PM UTC
Thanks, Tat! Indeed, the textture is bit "too much". I'll work on that to smooth it along with the washes.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC
Just noticed that the sponsons on one side have been glued the wrong way... Let the fun begin!

I also worked on the crew deck aiming for a used wood look... but it turned out more like a muddy look
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
After a longer break, I continued the painting. Summoned enough bravery to bite the bullet try my hand at the washed winter camo thing. For this I first applied a several thin coats of hairspray to allow me scrub the following layer of Revell 05 matt white.

I have applied a gradient of white fading it towards the top into the base gray and haven't let it dry completely before starting the scrubbing. Still, the results were too harsh. Initially I planned to apply a white oil wash over it to smooth down the edges but after having the turpentine attack the underlying coat on a test piece I changed my mind and applied a mist of Revell 05 matt white at low pressure with the needle of my airbrush almost locked so the paint will merely flow through resulting in a very fine and thin layer of paint being applied. Actually, I liked the results so much I decided to add this technique to my "portfolio" to be used on other models, as well.
Once I was happy with the washed effect on the camo, I applied the scratches using Revell 83 rust, Revell 84 leather and a 50-50 mix of the base Vallejo German Grey and Revell 05 matt white, simulating the lighter scratches.

Feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!
Cristian

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[...]
I also worked on the crew deck aiming for a used wood look... but it turned out more like a muddy look

With the exception of one or two spots, I think it looks quite realistic for a weathered wood effect.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks, Matt!
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
In the last phase of this project I have added some rust and rain streaking using Vallejo Burn Sienna and Natural Iron Oxide pigments diluted in alcohol and faded using a cotton swab.

Once the streaking was done, I have sprinkled some mud (glue + water + Revell 82 Mud + dirt from the garden) onto the upper surfaces, blowing it off my brush with the airbrush.

This concludes the building process! I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed building it!

_GOTOTOP