_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
PAGST System...Anything Wrong With It?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
I still see some soldiers, figures, drawings, and designs utilize the PAGST body armor with kevlar shoulder pads and collar guard.

I saw on TV news where a soldier in the Invasion of Panama refused to wear PAGST body armor because he said if he got hit by a AK-47 round, the bullet will just expand in the kevlar and do his body even more damage.

Is there anything technically or performance-wise wrong with PAGST? Why did the Army get rid of the PAGST shoulder pads and collar guard on the IBA? I noticed that the IBA adds some shoulder, collar, and groin protection whereas the PAGST has those already built in. Even the Iraqi and Afghan Armies don't wear PAGST anymore

Also, is the Y-harness still used or do soldiers prefer to wear the IBV?

I'm kind of thinking if it's possible to convert a PAGST body armor figure to future times, but I'm not sure if that would even make logical sense.

Thanks in advance.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 06:01 AM UTC
While I don't know anything about the armours performance I can tell you that if the kevlar does it's job the bullet will expand as it simply tries to 'push-itself-through-itself'.

Bullets deform when hitting anything, including flesh. And even when protected by armour there is still a risk of broken bones and internal bleeding. But that's better than having a big hole in your gut.

Plus, soldiers seem to disreguard their armour, look at 'Nam. It can't protect you if it's not covering you. Even today there are plenty of photos of guys at OPs in Iraq and Afghanistan who aren't wearing their vests.

Hope that helps a bit.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 06:48 AM UTC
Modern IBAS/IOTV body armor is better than PASGT since it has plate carriers in it. These plate carriers allow bullet-proof ceramic plates to be added that actually stop bullets up to 7.62mm (.30 cal) rifle rounds. The PASGT was only a fragmentation vest, it wasn't designed to stop bullets.

The DAPS shoulder and groin covers are worn less as they are only fragmentation protectors and found to be not that effective due to the limitations they place on you. Basically, you can't move well in them.

The Y harness LCE (Load Carrying Equipment)suspenders aren't really used any longer as they has been replaced by either the IBAS/IOTV vests with loops to attach everything to, or the MOLLE LBV (Load Bearing Vest) that is a lightweight mesh vest with loops like the body armor vests.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 07:17 AM UTC
It´s
Personal
Armor
System
Ground
Troops
PASGT was never intended to stop bullets, It merely against fragments and shrapnels.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
To add to what others have said, the PASGT system only provided protection from fragmentation....not direct small arms impacts.

As Gino stated, OTV/IOTV/Plate Carriers hold ballistic plates which will actually stop small arms up to 7.62mm depending on the rating of the plate being used.

Legacy ALICE equipment (Y-harness) hasn't been seen operationally by me since about 2005. I've seen it still in use with US Army TRADOC units still.

Operational units use the issue MOLLE Rifleman/Grenadier, Medic etc kits (Each set has a certain magazine pouch configuration). Infantry units in Afghanistan are being issued plate carriers which weigh less than OTV/IOTV and are easier to manuever the mountain sides in. You see a lot of personal purchase commercial equipment being used Soldiers and manufactured by LBT, Blackhawk, etc.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 12:47 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies!
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
No one mentioned its GD HEAVY!!! LOL.. My large carrier and chest/ back/ side plates WITHOUT the DAPS ( no need to LOOK like your new in country) has to weigh in about 42 lbs. Add the standard chest rig with a full combat load of ammo for 9mm and 5.56, a couple tournequets, a knife or gerber, something tacticool to carry pens and maps and a cliff bar, and a camelback clipped on the back.. oh yeah and an IFAK..almost forgot the IFAK... My 5 foot 2 frame looks like a damn Teenage mutant ninja turtle..
 _GOTOTOP