_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
advice please!
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
hey everyone

i wasnt really sure as to where to post this so i thought id try here - ive put up a post in general mofdelling re my sons mig - ive signed them up for the AGE campaign upon their request, and both would love to become members of the site, but they are 11 and 12, so would it be ok for them to join, and if so, independently, together (one username) or under my supervision? the pair of them are very good and keen modellers, and i know they, by their own words, would think its 'pretty cool' if they could be armorama members.

any suggestions?

cheers alpha
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC
:-) Hi alpha, there are some joungsters on this site and I for one would love to see more. I bet the other members feel the same. I would let them register under their own "handles", it'd be cool for them to see their ranks increase with posts. Just one thing to be aware of is the fact that it isn't obvious to everyone else that they are so young. there questions, if not edited by you, or someone else, might get an unexpected response. This is because youngsters tend to miss out detail such as scale and the like, in their questions. Also once youngsters get posting they can, sometimes, start with the " what's the best Spitfire", what's the best Messerschmitt" posts, which can get a bit annoying, especially after the 20th such post #:-) I've seen it elsewhere :-)
So yep let em join up, maybe names such as "sonof alpha" "2ndsonof alpha" would hint at their age, looking forward to meeting them. How would they like to join A-UK as well :-)
I'm just going to take a look at their Mig. :-)
Mal
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:04 AM UTC
hey mal

thanks for the advice - i think ill go ahead and join them, and ill be sure to give them a handle that tags along with mine :-) as for the pics, yep please do check them out my youngest would love to hear more comments!

cheers

alpha
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
By all means let them join individually. This place is great for the ego a and it is a wonderful thing to be able to share a great hobby with you sons. Let them go for it and grow.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:11 AM UTC
Welcome them

Ask them to post in the Intro's forum for a great starting place.

This makes me wonder :
Has Jim had to write a policy regarding membership concerning age?

Most posts/replies are okay for pre-teens, but I cant say for sure.
I'd guess we're a PG site or maybe a G rated site
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
By all means sign them up we do have some young members.
I like Holdfasts' idea of a call sign. Being an international site it can take a bit of interpretation sometimes as far as post meanings. Any help to identify thier 'mindset' or intent would help.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Alpha,
It's not a problem if they would like to setup their own accounts. It may be a little tricky at home since you will all need to logout and login more often. The signup area does state:

Yes, I am 13 or over or I have parental consent

So as long as they have parental consent it is fine. This is a US Federal law by-the-way, that's why I have to have it there.

Cheers,
Jim
Alpha-son1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:12 AM UTC
thanx for your help everybody - its great they can be a part of such a fantastic group - i know they are chomping at the bit to put their kits on here for all to see!

one of the best decisions i made online was to join armorama!

cheers all
Alpha

firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:20 AM UTC
See that post above?
It was done by Alpha Dad, while logged in as Alpha Son.
Jim's point exactly.

Three modelers in the house fighting to get to Armorama
hard to keep the 'identities' seperate.

This might help -
Each Alpha pick a different "Focus" option under "my account" and Armorama will give you a different flavor depending upon the current logged in user.

Might be more trouble than its worth
Best of luck to the three of you, share the computer, plenty of Armorama for all of you #:-)
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 12:02 PM UTC
hey firemann

i make you completely right - altho it was a quickie reply while my son and i were sorting out his membership & gallery - i pretty much have a 'rotor', and am now in the interesting process of managing our three accounts lol because my two are still young yet and they arent used to the site, we go thru it together, and if they want to upload, or post, i help them do it, but perhaps the focus idea is best lol, we shall see!

cheers for all your help

Big Alpha (mini alphas in bed)
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 12:48 PM UTC
Man I wish you were my Dad #:-)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC
Yeah really

Night Night to the Alpha Males
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:04 AM UTC
Maybe Youngsters should get some kind of Medal/Ribbon, to show that they're young uns, and so that the elder members would realize it when posting to them...

The youngsters would think it's cool having a medal on there profile.. and then there would be no mistakes with people not replying appropiately to posts..
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
Keeping track of accounts:

Nothing that buying a couple more computers would not solve. Or even running the dreaded Windows XP. (Seperate log in)

Jim-Babva
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or even running the dreaded Windows XP. (Seperate log in)
Jim-Babva

I'm in the computer biz and everyone makes jokes about XP

It isnt too bad if you turn EVERYTHING back to "classic" settings and turn off that multi user login annoyances. Have had numerous folks have to reinstall apps to get them to show up no matter who logs in, etc.
Never a dull moment in world domination for M$

The idea of a youngster medal I think is a great one, I dont know how i would make it look but the idea is great
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
hey guys

what can i say? thankyou for your help and suggestions - you have all welcomed my two kindly and keenly - to say that glue and paintbrushes havent touched the floor since they joined is an understatement!
ive altered the focus for my two lads, mini A 1 has the aircraft theme, and mina A 2 has the armor theme, and at the min if they want to post etc, ill get what im doing on here done then let em log in one at a time and help them along, tho its still taking a bit of getting used to.
the idea of a medal is fantastic, tho ill keep off mentioning it to them at the min until when or if it gets the official all clear. thankyou all, you have given me and my boys a great start to the new year.

cheers for now

Alpha (Big)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:01 PM UTC
Design one that generically and tactfully designates Youth to signify modelers under 18 and present it to Jim for his approval...

I would if I had imagination
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
hey firemann

just a question regards the medals? how are they done and which program dyou use lol? this would be a completely new zone for me! id be happy to do it if it was so desired, i just need a cpl pointers in the right direction! :-) :-)

cheers
Alpha dad
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:42 AM UTC
I would be a "joungster" in mals words at 13 and no problems yet, I'm sure they would be allowed, infact, I think other than your kids, I'm the baby on the site :-)

EDIT: Speaking for others on the site, the medal thing might make people take your questions less seriously, and you might be regarded as a "baby"
 _GOTOTOP