_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Bring it on, Charlie!" Vietnam 1967
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 07:03 AM UTC
Here is my latest diorama. It is titled "Bring it on, Charlie" and takes place in Vietnam in 1967. A US Infantry element made contact with a mixed VC and NVA element. The US element found itself pinned down and fought desperately for it's life. The US Infantryman depicted in this scene moved from where he was at when the initial contact was made to higher ground behind a fallen log. He continued firing his M16 until he ran out of ammunition. The enemy didn't care that he ran out of ammo and continued attacking. He continued his fight with the M1917 bolo knife his grandfather had passed down to him before shipping off for Vietnam. He has taken care of four attackers with the bolo knife and is daring a fifth to "bring it on".

The US Infantryman is a conversion consisting of the torso of the standing Bravo 6 Military Policeman and the legs of the guy with the flak vest from the Bravo 6 Field Briefing kit. The bolo knife was fashioned from a Hobby Fan machete and the sheath was made from a First Legion machete sheath that was modified to look like the M1917 Bolo knife sheath. The open ammo pouch was made from two ammo pouches. The head is from Hornet.

The two dead NVA at the Infantryman's feet are built stock from Bravo 6's Ace of Spades kit. The NVA spirting blood and squirming around on the ground is a conversion of a Viet Minh Soldier from Bravo 6. The spirt of blood is from a q-tip painted red and covered with gloss varnish. The NVA with the abdominal wound was sculpted by me when I was deployed to Afghanistan as is the dead or wounded VC that is downhill. The dead NVA with bullet wounds to the chest and leg at the base of the tree is a conversion of a Dragon NVA Sapper. The two live VC are built stock from Bravo 6.

Although I had been working on the figures for the past two months, the diorama base was done starting on 1 September and getting finished last night. I had surgery on my hip on the 2d, so the final details of the base were kind of difficult to complete as the meds caused me to have blurry vision. Hopefully it turned out OK. And hopefully the photos turned out OK as well.

Now, there are different views in the modeling community concerning blood. Since I am a combat veteran and like to make my dioramas as realistic as possible, I feel that blood in a combat scene is OK to portray as long as it is not overly gorey. When fighting occurs, blood is going to be shed. It is a part of it. I have minimized the amount of blood present in this scene without compromising the impact of such wounds made by the chopping action of a bolo knife. If it offends you, sorry, but this is how this scene is portrayed.

Here are the photos. I hope they came out halfway decent.

I hope that didn't make anyone upset. I don't think it was that bad.

Now on to finish the other project I have been working on, a M42 Duster.

Cheers,
James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC
Sensational!!! Wow man,you really nailed it with this one for sure.
Of course,this is my favorite subject,infantry in action. Love the jungle detritus on the ground. You got the colors just right. I wasn't in Nam but that is the way the jungle ground cover looked in Panama. Foliage is awesome and the dead and wounded are done to perfection. Very nice touch with the open,empty ammo pouch,empty 20 round magazines and M16 left on the log.
Bring me thoughts of the hand to hand scenes on the Ostfront using e-tools and knives when the ammo ran out.
Brilliant work as usual.
Two thoughts. The US soldier(or Marine) looks like his stance is a bit too casual for having just administered that kind of blow? Also,maybe a US casualty to improve credulity?
Nice touch with the MP40 as well. If that weapon could speak,I would love to hear the tale from when it was built to how it ended up in VN.
Once again,awesome work brother,
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC
Thanks, Jerry.

The original idea for the scene did have more figures, but I had to cut three of them due to the base ending up smaller than intended. When I was sanding the block of wood that I used for the base, I ended up having a void in the wood that required me having to sand more off than I thought I would have to. It ended up taking up quite a bit of the space of the base. One of the figures I had to cut was a dead GI.

In some ways I feel the same about the pose of the GI. I built him way before I thought about how I was going to use him in a diorama. Since he is standing in a manner which could be construed as a challenge to the attacker, I let it go as is. He just stood upright after having dispatched the last NVA and is standing there daring the VC to come at him.

Cheers,
James
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
Great work James.
The best Nam action scene since someone did Hamburger Hill a long time ago.Your totally right about the blood.It is combat.Anyone against it in dios should watch the beginning of Saving Private Ryan or Enemy At The Gates.You did an excellent job on it.Getting blood to look realistic isn't easy.
As for the Bolo guy,I was also thinking at first he seems to relaxed and after a while I thought Dios are how each person sees them and maybe not another perspective.Anyway,I figured he might be in a bit of shock at what he's done and can't grasp the other Viet Cong.

Tom

ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, Tom. I am glad you like it.

I was trying to go for a combined look of shock and a sense of "if I am going to die, I am going to take as many of you with me" in the Infantryman's face. It is like he has accepted his fate and is going to make it costly to the enemy.

Cheers,
James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC
It still comes down to the fact that you are a very skilled dioramist,painter and all around steely eyed,lantern jawed modeling man!!
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 01:23 PM UTC
mate that is brilliant! the blood and gore isn't over done, and it works really well with the rest of the dio. really great work
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 02:06 PM UTC
Really well done. Nice to see a bit of blood and dirt on some figures (I always wonder how they stay so clean).
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 03:05 PM UTC
James,

Great diorama! The figures are fantastic. You are quite the sculptor.

I do not think the blood is gory. I am glad someone made a diorama that shows the effects of the subjects we model.

For me, the US Infantryman makes it home!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 04:06 PM UTC
Blood is blood, it's a part of the fight I know how you feel about using it, I've always stopped to think about that in the numerous projects I haven't finished hahaha. Love how you painted the figures though and Jerry is right, that groundwork is stellar.

-Conor
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC
James,

Tough call. ... I can handle it. ... I salute you.

—mike
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
Like the others have said of the gore- it is a part of the things we model- a knife for instance, is going to create wounds like that if it is used so why not model them? And you certainly have and modelled it damn well James! Initially I was thinking the face of the GI was a little too calm but with the various explanations and taking a closer look I think the face is actually very apt- it definetly expresses the sentiments you talked about and the pose adds to that sense.
The dead and wounded NVA/VC are just amazing though- such varied poses and injuries- the wounds are particularly well observed- especially the blood coming out of the neck wound.
Foliage wise I think its done really well- it compliments the scene brilliantly and adds interest and setting without overshadowing any of the figures.

Brilliant work James- thanks for sharing!
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone for the positive response. I was afraid that the general audience might be set off by the blood being present, but then again if you look at some of the video games that kids are playing these days this diorama really isn't that bad.

Fred, the Infantryman does make it home.

You know, a couple of days ago I was thinking that this diorama didn't turn out very well since I wasn't able to get all of the figures that I had originally intended to have on it included on the space that remained after sanding the blemish I found on the wooden base. I almost put it aside to finish later. I am now glad that I went ahead and finished it and posted it.

Again, thanks to everyone who has commented so far for the positive comments about my work. It inspires me to try to do better on my next projects.

Cheers,
James
walley54
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 04:41 AM UTC
James, looks good as usual, figures turned out great, and the groundwork is outstanding and shows true realism. the story line is pretty easy to follow, and the blood adds to the realism without being gory.You should be very happy with the results.
WalleyV
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC

Hi James,

your painting and your terrain are absolutely brilliant!

Congratulations Sir!!

I don't know if it's the photos, but the green of both US and NVA forces is nearly identical here.

While I know that some uniforms used by the NVA were close in colour to US, there were also other options...and they might have made for a little variation.

Just my 2c worth!

Cheers

Romain

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 02:15 PM UTC
Really impressive figure work & painting. The ground work is also top-notch. And if any figure should look stunned, I'd believe the kneeling VC would be the one after watching the grunt whack 3 of his buddies, some of it hand-to-hand.
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi James!
Great diorama. I've been watching the potos over and over again. Very dramatic. First I though the facial expression of the GI was too calm but when I read your comment, I got it. Accepting his fate look is convincing but still kind of sad. I like the M16 and empty mags. They really show how critical the situation is. How about empty M1911A1 on the groud or in his hand? Too much?
Anyway, thank you for sharing
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi James,

that diorama is awsome. You have show me some of your Figures as they were in progress some time ago and now finished they look impressive. That is an masterpiece of Vietnam dioramas. Also the groundwork looks very realistic to me. Your conversion of the machete in to an Bolo knife is fantastic. Looks really awsome in his hands and reminds me of that szene in "Predator" were one of the soldiers still makes his last stand with that big knife.

Your U.S. Soldier looks really ready to accept all what is comming next. I only had add another US Figure as counterpart for the fireing VC on the right. The lying Figure you sculpted some time ago as you were in the Desert had been perfect for this.

The VC/NVA Figures are well selected. The sculpted ones shows nearly no difference in qualitiy to the Bravo-6 ones. That is very impressive. If i didn´t know they were sculpted by you i would endless search for the new releases of Bravo-6 .

It is an very impressive diorama and the use of blood shows the reality of war and the intense fight you display.

Great work James and hopefully we will see more of your great work in the future.

Bye, bye

Stefan
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC
Killer work as expected James. Good to see your work again.

I'm waiting for the snow fly, coming soon. Then it's power up the bunker and sniff some paint, glue them fingers together.

Keep at it Brother, great work!!

Cheers, Ski.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thanks for everyones' comments.

Walley, Stefan, and Ski: Thanks for your support of my work over the years. Can't wait to see your latest projects.

Stefan, in my original idea for this diorama, I did have a dead GI to correspond with the standing VC, but when my base ended up being smaller than planned, I had to leave him out. I didn't even think about using the prone figure I had sculpted in Afghanistan for the other American. I guess because I had changed out the right hand from holding an M16 to a claymore clacker instead for an ambush scene.

Romain, thanks for the observation about the colors of the uniforms. They really are different, the American having a greener uniform and the NVA with a more khaki-ish shade to it in reality. I guess the photos do not show them different enough. I really wasn't thinking of color variation when I was painting the figures as I painted them separately. I will keep it in mind on my next project. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tadakatsu, the average infantryman wouldn't have a M1911A1 unless if he were a grenadier or machinegunner, so I went with the bolo knife to show how critical the situation is. If he were an officer, the M1911A1 would have been a good touch.

Again, thanks to everyone who has commented on this diorama. I appreciate the feedback and the support.

Cheers,
James
mariointer
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi James, i love so much your projects and this diorama is fantastic...i love the way you paint the figures ,the background,the dynamicity of the scene, the way in which you ,usually,mix and match Bravo6 figures to realize unique figures....but, overall i love the figures that you sculpt...in this diorama the two cong you sculpt are superlative (i just saw them in other your project ideas..),then i appreciate so much the way you realized the pose of the dragon nva....very fine indeed....you modificate the expressions of Hornet japanese heads??There is the possibility you show us the figures that you excluse from this project??? I am so courios about them!!!

If i remember, when you was in Afghanistan, you are working on a big dioramams with us grunts in ambush ,against nva and viet cong...i remember for example a grunt wounded without hand......have you news about them???

Remember that Hornet has reakized a new kit of asian heads that could help you in future ...and dont forgot Hornet WAR FACE heads...simply astonished!!!

Bye bye and congratulations
Mario from Italy.

Hi Stefan, how are you???
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, Mario.

You have a pretty good memory. I still have the figures to get ready to do the ambush diorama. I just have not gotten around to it yet. I'm waiting for more Bravo 6 figures to add to it:)

About seeing what figures I used for this, watch for a photo feature sometime next week.

I have seen the new Hornet heads and plan to get a few sets of each. I really like the way Mr. Saunders portrays the expressions on the faces.

Cheers,
James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 01:32 AM UTC
Don't hang up the phone yet James as I am sure there will be more accolades coming in.
J
mariointer
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi James, yes i have good memory... ...but all depends of your figures...when sameone saw samethings of beauty its difficult to forgot...and this is with your project!!!1

In fact i remember too the figures you show in the past in JENNY THABKS AND THINK web forum...the ones kidding with a gi sleeping..and same other gi with barber cream.....very interesting and a gi in the Mekong with a water buffalo...what happened to them?? I hope to see them soon!!!

I hope you ll show as soon as,the us figures that you excluse for this fne dioramas ...i am very courios, and i wait to see soon too the figures of your large diorama ambush to us gi in the jungle!!!

i know that you usually use Bravo6 figures mixing different parts to have the poses you want (me too...but with different effect....DAMN....) and about this ,a part FIRST LEGION figures that i saw ,you used in your large dioramas, i suggest you a kit of Hobby fan figures (a part that for me all nam HOBBY FAN figures are fantastic indeed....)cod.HF704 US ARMY 106MM GUN,the one on knee is really fine and useful and the last CMK nam figures, the sergent is really intereesting and well sculčted too!!!

Waiting your news, i say you good bye and again CONGRATULATIONS.
Mario from Italy.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Damn, this is brilliantly done!
 _GOTOTOP