Hosted by Darren Baker
ruins diorama.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
hi all, in my wirblwind dio, i am going to have a ruined hosue that has been turned into a bunker complexe by the germans, are there any suggestioons or moeling rulesm i need to know about creating ruins.

thnx matt
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:00 PM UTC
I would study lots of pictures on the net featuring the style building you want to use as a ruin. Remember a big city house would be much more decorative than a simple farmhouse.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:59 PM UTC
Maybe it would be a good idea to describe briefly the type of house you are depicting and it will be easier to suggest some ideas.
To make the walls there are loads of different methods ... cardboard, polystyrene, plaster board, cast plaster, cork, etc. each has its own advantages and disadvantages ... and certain items work better depending on your house style!
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi all... ...are there any suggestions or moeling rules i need to know about creating ruins. thnx matt

Ccheck out my article on Basic Wall Construction. The basic concepts might be helpful.

John
www.johnneill.com
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:59 PM UTC
hi thnx all for input, i have actually already started the house, it only an old farm house, but i only have the walls, half demolished and some old roof beams that have been burnt, the wassl have all bean charded by a candle and matches for sulfur residue. i will hve pics of the to be comleted dio, , thnx all
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:06 PM UTC
Perhaps the "ruined flooring" article in the Features>Digital Diamonds will be of some help.... I find that far too many folks that do a diorama tend to leave out the little details (floor joists, boards, nail holes, etc.) that tend to take away from an otherwise top-notch work....

MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
hi , kfmagee, i thought about doing floor boards from your articel however i dont think i will include it, ofcourse my house is meant to have floorbourds, but i might just put dirt and lots of rubble instead that would have covered the floorbords anyway. bu thxn anyway.

matt
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
hey matt'
just a thought but id go with the research. if the building is extensively damaged i guess the basement could be used but aside from that i think youre looking at hasty defences like sandbags etc. it depends if youre using the upper floors to i guess, but id have a look about on the net if it were me, and see what info you could find.

hope it goes well!

alpha
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC
thnx alpaha for input, but as much as i value your opinion i dnt think i need to research, its only single story, , hell i dont evenhave any windows, it might sound like a crapy house, butits hardly even a house coz its been demolished so bad, dont worry you will all like it when youi see it

matt
 _GOTOTOP