_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
1/35 E9 suspension conversion for shermans?
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Another rare conversion I'm after for the sherman in1/35 is the E9 suspension. Mainly used in post war upgrades.

Again the aftermarket world seems to be letting me down here but does anyone know of a conversion set, or a good example of how to scratch build it perhaps?

Cheers,

James
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 01:25 AM UTC
It's here:

https://www.click2detail.com/store/p69/1%3A35_M4E9_spaced_out_suspension.html

Pretty cool, too!

Enjoy.

Pat
MMiR
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another rare conversion I'm after for the sherman in1/35 is the E9 suspension. Mainly used in post war upgrades.

Again the aftermarket world seems to be letting me down here but does anyone know of a conversion set, or a good example of how to scratch build it perhaps?

Cheers,

James

Shouldn't be too difficult to scratch. I mean, they're just spacers welded on the hull.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/e9suspension/e9suspension.html

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 01:28 AM UTC
The instruction sheet for the conversion details from Click2Detail:
http://www.click2detail.com/uploads/2/7/4/9/27494229/m4e9_instructions.pdf

A discussion on this forum about how to do it:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/36246

Close up images of the real deal ( I bet Frenchy is digging frantically now ...)

/ Robin
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Close up images of the real deal ( I bet Frenchy is digging frantically now ...)

I was about to post the link to the Click2Detail set but Pat has beaten to it

Here are some pics of an ex-French Army M4A1E9 hull :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/moulietsetvillemartin/sherman_benghazi/

H.P.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
You would still have to scratch the return roller mount. I think its just the same piece stacked offset.

Chris
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
Here's a build using the C2D set on an M36 (actually, an old Italeri hull used in a Frankenstein build) that I started a while ago: M36 with E9. The C2D parts are very good, and the idler spacers are very odd complex parts, so you'd have fun trying to scratch-build them! It works best with Tasca parts, but no doubt a little brute force & ignorance will let them fit most mfgrs stuff.

The real ones added 4.5" of extra space between the bogies and the hull. I'm using cast EECs from two sets of AFV Club indy-link tracks to get the EECs on both sides of each track, added to Bronco T54E1 tracks. (Got several sets of EECs left over from other non-EEC builds that used AFV Club tracks, so not a big cost issue for me...)

HTH
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 01:08 PM UTC
Wow gents,

thanks for that, everything I need.

Have just ordered the click 2 detail set. Have not heard of these guys before but they are an interesting setup. Probably see a lot more 3D printing cropping up in the hobby soon.
Thanks for the various reference pics too, Frenchy I'm intending to build an M4A1 small hatch with applique in Chilean army service so thats a useful set of pics.

Chris, It looks like the set includes a spacer for the return roller and drive sprocket too.
However, like Chris (nice work so far by the way mate) I'll be using an Italeri lower hull which looks fine, but the transmission housings lack the detail of the Tasca items which is on display quite obviously with the E9 spacing (especially when you don't run the inner EEC's like the Chileans).

So I may need to pick up a Tasca aftermarket set for these?
Or does anyone make them in Resin?

Thanks again,

James
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 07:33 PM UTC
I know I'm being pedantic but it's the IDLER wheel mount, not a return roller . That is the tricky part to scratch, I'd like to see better photos of the C2D ones.

Jim
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 01:13 AM UTC
The C2D set includes the idler spacer as well as spacers for the sprockets, that fit on the end of the Tasca FDA parts. All you need is a set of bogies, sprockets, idlers, and the Tasca idler brackets. But with creativity you could carve up idler brackets from other brands to fit the spacer.

NewTMD does a range of replacement trannies, as do other resin AM guys. The Tasca tranny parts are great IMHO, but can be a pain to get hold of. (Tasca/Asuka sell individual sprues on their website, but a lot of them are out-of-stock at any one time...)

If you can't get Tasca parts for the final drives, you can always use plastic tube to lengthen whatever brand of FDAs you do have - just cut it to the same length as the resin spacer. (I was originally planning to use Italeri/Dragon FDAs and sprockets with the hole in the middle for the axle on the back of the sprocket, so had to investigate the issue.)

BTW, whereabouts in the UK are you? Anywhere near south Essex? (If so, you could look at that M36 in person...)
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow gents,

thanks for that, everything I need.

Have just ordered the click 2 detail set. Have not heard of these guys before but they are an interesting setup. Probably see a lot more 3D printing cropping up in the hobby soon.
Thanks for the various reference pics too, Frenchy I'm intending to build an M4A1 small hatch with applique in Chilean army service so thats a useful set of pics.

Chris, It looks like the set includes a spacer for the return roller and drive sprocket too.
However, like Chris (nice work so far by the way mate) I'll be using an Italeri lower hull which looks fine, but the transmission housings lack the detail of the Tasca items which is on display quite obviously with the E9 spacing (especially when you don't run the inner EEC's like the Chileans).

So I may need to pick up a Tasca aftermarket set for these?
Or does anyone make them in Resin?

Thanks again,

James

When I first designed this set I didn't notice that on the real tank the spacer for the sprocket is hollow like a tube, if you want this detail on your model, you will have to drill a small hole in the face of the sprocket. This web site has some good pictures of the E9 suspension:

For more of my products please check out my "HDS" page on Facebook.
Thanks,
Mike
HDS
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
SO, was the E9 suspension privy only to the A1 hull? Were there any welded hulls with this suspension?

Jeff
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi Mike, wasn't criticising, honest! - just pointing out to the OP that Tasca sprockets fit over a peg on the FDA (like your spacer has) while Italeri/Dragon sprockets have an internal axle that slides into a hole in the FDA. So depending on which base-kit is being used the spacer may or may not work as-is.

Jeff, No reason it couldn't be fitted to a welded hull, but haven't seen evidence of it myself. The E9 was a quick-fix (made obsolete by the wider track of the Easy-Eight suspension) that was added to some tanks and M36s - mostly in post-war MAP assistance rebuilds as far as I can see. I'm not even sure how many vehicles actually got it at all...
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SO, was the E9 suspension privy only to the A1 hull? Were there any welded hulls with this suspension?

Jeff

Yes, in addition to the M4A1, there's been photos of M4A3 76mm,M4A3 105mm, M4A1 76mm, M7, M32,and M36. The movie "The Tanks are Coming" showcases some tanks with the E9 suspension.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SO, was the E9 suspension privy only to the A1 hull?

All M4-series VVSS hulls except M4A4.

KL
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

SO, was the E9 suspension privy only to the A1 hull?

All M4-series VVSS hulls except M4A4.

KL

Some screen shots from the movie "The Tanks are Coming"

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2158/vlcsnap2010122310h12m57.png

Kurt, any ideas on what the cage is for on the turret of this 75mm?

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5905/vlcsnap2010122310h13m33.png

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some screen shots from the movie "The Tanks are Coming"

Kurt, any ideas on what the cage is for on the turret of this 75mm?

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5905/vlcsnap2010122310h13m33.png

Racks to hold gear or sandbags, perhaps added by the prop crew?

KL
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
M32B1E9 from Prime Portal. Ten of these were supplied to the Netherlands under MAP.

http://www.primeportal.net/recovery/frank_langeler/m32_arv/
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 03:37 AM UTC
The Israelis used at least one M32B1E9 as well,

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14054
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know I'm being pedantic but it's the IDLER wheel mount, not a return roller . That is the tricky part to scratch, I'd like to see better photos of the C2D ones.

Jim

You are of course correct Jim, an oversight on my behalf sorry.
Yes wouldn't be fun to scratch but there are pretty good pics on the C2D instructions and on Toms blog.

Michael, your parts look impressive, I look forward to receiving my set.

Tom, I've just ordered the Tasca late suspension set so this should sort me out, although I've just realised that I need bogies without the upswept RETURN ROLLER arms. Therefore I'll have to use my Academy M4A2 bogies and Tasca final drives and sprockets.
From what I can tell the IDLER WHEEL mounts aren't included in the suspension sets?

Lengthening the Italeri final drives wouldn't have been too hard but would have been difficult to get that exposed ribbed portion of the final drives you see without the EEC's.

I'm a very long way from South Essex mate, I'm in the middle of the desert in Western Australia, but from the west midlands. Will be moving to Devon in the new year though so a little closer!

James
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 09:21 PM UTC
Hi James,

From what I recall the Tasca set does not include the actual idler mount, so you need the whole "corner" bracket from a donor kit. Tasca/Asuka does them as a single part on one of their kit sprues that can be ordered from their website (the "35019-C" sprue), which is the easiest option if you can get them, but otherwise you need to shave the parts off another kit. (C2D just gives the spacer block...) I've had very good luck getting Tasca sprues shipped to me in the past.

Pity you won't be back in-country til after Christmas - our club is attending a model show at Bovington in a couple weeks!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 10:27 PM UTC
Shopping for Tasca/Asuka sprues:
http://tasca-shop.ocnk.net/product-list/6
It worked for me ....
/ Robin