_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
AS-90 in Iraq - 1/35 Trumpeter
hummingbird
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 07:42 PM UTC
Good day to you people. Hope you readers having a good day and all are good.

As you all aware, I'm building a fleet of SPG and this is my final entry on the line. The fleet is a total of 7 SPGs consisting the the Dana, Type 99, Pzh2000, AuF1, K9, 2s19 Msta and this AS-90.

I was lucky enough to get it for £15 posted including the metal barrel with the sagged recoil sleeve. I also indulged myself with a Eduard upgrade set. I didn't spent money on the second set which consisted of the basket on top and the grilles. I thought it would be waste of £7.

As you all know, the British Army desert colour is something that is very hard to paint and there is no exact shade available out there. So using XF-59 desert yellow as a base, I decided to play around with the high light and shadow as I know this will be a monotone vehicle anyway. Four other colours were used to play around with the highlights and shadows - XF-68 Nato Brown, XF-72 JGSDF Brown, XF-57 Buff and XF-55 Deck Tan.

For the weathering, I wanted to show it used well enough from the strong offensive as we have seen during the Iraqi war. I also wanted to show a lot of sand and dusts on it to depict a vehicle going through the very harsh desert environment.

Well, that's about as much I can sum up about the build. More informations and more photos and bigger ones (4000X3000) can be found on my blog -

http://modeller-innovation.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/as-90-in-iraq-135-trumpeter.html

Please do have a look and thank you so much in advance for any feedback you guys may have. C&C are welcomed. Just be gentle... LOL.

Thank you for always supporting and for the kind words and various encouragements.

Until the next launch.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi Gary,

if you planned this as a lesson on "how to do chipping" I'd congratulate you, but sometimes I cannot but wonder where such a howitzer might get all its scratches from!

While a tank can (and does) go into the rough, howitzers normally don't.

And today's colours are good enough to endure quite a few steps before they dissolve and disintegrate.

I readily admit that it's hard not to get carried away once you've started! The models just look a lot more interesting when dirty and scruffy, don't they!

Cheers

Romain

hummingbird
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 08:47 PM UTC
Indeed Romain .

Thank you for your input.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 03:35 AM UTC
And, I thought I was bad at criticism. I like it. It may not be accurate, but it looks like it was a lot of fun.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 - 09:33 AM UTC
Very nice work, that is one hell of a gun Was not aware of this armor, very interesting subject.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 - 02:48 PM UTC
If an expensive piece of equipment like a howitzer would look like that some battery commanders and gun commanders would have ended their carreer immediately.

What I want to say?

Technically, as a statement of the abbilities of the modeller. 100 points
As a replica of the real thing: never!
hummingbird
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If an expensive piece of equipment like a howitzer would look like that some battery commanders and gun commanders would have ended their carreer immediately.

What I want to say?

Technically, as a statement of the abbilities of the modeller. 100 points
As a replica of the real thing: never!

LOL .. I wouldn't want to be that commander .. haha
but thank you.. I never wanted this to be a repilica of the real thing. Infact, I don't care for accuracy that much either. True I over did the chipping but all in all, I had fun and learned alot. THAT is what matters to me. I just wanna have fun and build something that says it is mine rather than a replica of the real thing.. u know ....
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never wanted this to be a repilica of the real thing. Infact, I don't care for accuracy that much either. True I over did the chipping but all in all, I had fun and learned alot. THAT is what matters to me. I just wanna have fun and build something that says it is mine rather than a replica of the real thing.. u know ....

Accuracy isn't all that it's cracked up to be sometimes. I agree with the others that this definitely isn't an exercise in accuracy. It is a great exercise in weathering that'll serve you well when you do feel like it's time to replicate something. Like you said, you had fun and you learned things. Who could ask for anything more out of a model?
 _GOTOTOP