_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Legend Magach Batash tracks are unusable?
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi,
I have bought Legend Productions set of resin tracks for Magach 6B.

Unfortunately my set came with single links noticeably smaller than lenghts (about 1.2mm difference in width):

Lenghts also fit the teeth of sprockets supplied in the set, whereas links are too narrow...

I have no clue how this could happen other than that the masters they used were of wrong size?

Needless to say, I wrote an email to Legend, but had no answer.
Then I wrote a complaint to Luckymodels where I bought the set. Luckymodels staff handled this nicely and after some time informed me that the replacement is on its way from Legend directly to my adress.
It arrived today. It is exactly as the previous set.

It is unfathomable for me, do they even know what they produce?

Did any of you had similar issue with this set? After getting second set with the same fault I'd guess that all of them are like this?

I bought this set for Academy's Merkava IID, it is too bad no one else produces aftermarket tracks for this type of tank

Cheers,
Greg
JoeBev
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
My friend- I highly suggest you get a set of Fruil taracks for the Merkava II. I have them and they are perfect.
Good luck
Joe Bevans
AMPS 2nd VP West Region
AMPS So Cal
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi Joe, thanks for your reply, but are regular Mk.2 tracks applicable to Mk.2D tank? I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that all tanks upgraded to Mk.2D standard are fitted with Batash track? If it is correct for Mk.2D then I'd love to use Friuls set.

Cheers,
Greg
Barthass
Visit this Community
Poznaz, Poland
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
Cześć!

All Merkava Mk.2 tanks upgraded to 2D version have the reinforced "Batash" tracks. Unfortunately the Legend set is still the one and only on the market.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 08:21 AM UTC
Cześć Bartku,

Unfortunately you just confirmed what I've read before, real pity...

Cheers,
Greg
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
But now you have two sets so it should be possible to take out índividual links from the extra lengths (every second link should be possible to save and reuse)
/ Robin
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
I suggest to use the long runs. Bend them around the sprockets in hot water (if they fit). Just leave the space above the return rollers without tracks (no one will know, just you). The Legend tracks are terrible, I always had to replace them.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks for replies Robin and Arpad! I was considering both solutions and both have their highs and lows.

If I'd try to remove every second link from lenghts, this will mean practically sculpting parts of every link made that way, but if done correctly will look the best.

On the other hand heating and bending track runs to fit idler and sprocket is very easy, but I'm afraid it will come out looking like rubber band, and thats what I'd like to avoid.

Right now I'm closest to the solution of making a 3D model of one link and 3D printing it. It will look the best and is not that hard to make

Cheers,
Greg
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC
I found them quite usable, just stuck to the long lengths. Glued several together, and used hot water from the tap to bend it around the sprocket and idler wheels.

photo DSC_3266_zps6e65e5a8.jpg

photo DSC_3267_zps9cd82761.jpg

Sam
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 01:27 AM UTC
Thanks for your reply Sam, your photos look very promising, though the links still have that inward bend on them, wich is again a fault in casting or in master. I might have to give this method a shot!

Cheers,
Greg
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC
I think I managet to find a solution, maybe not the easiest, but certainly best looking: I've modeled the track link in 3D. I will get them prototyped locally next week and if it will be ok, I'll try to get a whole set printed from shapeways.

Screenshots:

Cheers,
Greg
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
I would suggest getting hold of Robert Skipper as he may be able to help you as regards explaining the issue to Legend.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I managet to find a solution, maybe not the easiest, but certainly best looking: I've modeled the track link in 3D. I will get them prototyped locally next week and if it will be ok, I'll try to get a whole set printed from shapeways.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg,

This is great ! Hope you go ahead with this project and keep posting !
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
Agreed!
I have two kits holding on the proper tracks.....
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 03:50 PM UTC
I was able to print the prototype links, they seem ok, though I still have to check for the clickabiity in the material that shapeways uses, I ordered a couple of samples for that. Unfortuanately those printed parts are not cheap, too expensive to sell them made that way IMHO. Price for a set of tracks for Magach is a little less as it uses much less links than Merkava.

Below are the photos, I must admit it is not easy to photograph this material properly as it is semi opaque, I'll have to prime them to take proper photos.

Cheers,
Greg
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC
Very interesting....
If they could be marketed for less than the price of a set of Friuls, you may have something, especially considering you'd be first.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 03:11 AM UTC
Russel, unfortunately They won't be cheaper than Friuls or such I think. Set for Magach (180 links) made from chaper resin costs 40$ for US buyers and even more for EU buyers: 38.65 euros. One thing is, I don't know if the chaper resin is worth anything for scale model parts, my samples are currently 'in printing' at shapeways.

Second issue is that Merkava needs some 216 links, which makes it even more expensive.

This new tchnology seems to be too expensive as of yet as a production method, maybe if we'd deal with smaller WWII tanks tracks it would be viable because of smaller volume of material needed. It is perfect for making masters though.

Cheers,
Greg
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 03:22 AM UTC
Good luck!
I have to say, if Friul does come out with a set of Batash tracks, I'll buy two sets..... but it would be nice if SpadeAce did too.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 03:28 AM UTC
Those new links look great! At Shapeways you'd really need to use Frosted Ultra Detail. (Frosted Detail might be OK too - worth printing a few in FD just to check...)

To make it affordable you'd really want to get a traditional resin caster to use them as a pattern. Or, you could offer just enough links to replace the individual undersized Legend links, using the Legend straight runs to reduce the number of printed links needed. But then you'd still be supporting sales of Legend's poor product...
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thanks Russel

Tom, I have a samples of 20 links from both Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail already on the way as we speak from Netherlands so we will see.

On a side note, I think that my four prototype links were printed on a printer of the same type that Shapeways use to produce Black Detail or White Detail, so those should be ok alternatives too. Maybe only support cleanup is much harder than with FD material.

I was thinking of giving those parts to a caster, I'm not really inclined to start such business now, but some cooperation might be good way of not letting the work I did to waste for only one tank model

Cheers,
Greg
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 10:29 AM UTC
Many, many casting companies are looking for masters to produce. If you get in touch with people who make tracks, you may be pleasantly surprised at how many are willing to use your printed tracks a patterns for resin track. You may be able to get a good price for them. And if you do always make sure to get a supply of parts for your own use as part of the deal! (speaking from personal experience here!)

They will need clean-up to remove the visible build lines, but if you are only cleaning up several links as patterns, that's not too bad.

Cleaning up 200+ printed links would be a major effort.

Paul
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Maybe Friulmodel would be interested ??
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 12:17 AM UTC
That would be lovely.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 02:42 AM UTC
Paul, thanks for advice, I may just try that. As to the cleanup, fortunately the build lines are mostly only visible on center guides on the ones I had printed, the ones from Ultra Detail Resin should be even better, they will be here on wednesday or so, I'll post pictures then.

Robin, Russel, they just might, they just might...

Greg
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
Out of curiosity (and what an interesting conversation too) what is the difference between the track design that you want on the model to the track design that Friuls offer?

I just want to see what the difference is?

Thanks and I do think that 3-D printing will be the future.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP