_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Academy: Another US slugger in town!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC

New M36 variant from Academy in 1:35.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
stufer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
this could be interesting,I have the old Steve Zaloga Military Modelling article on updating the Italeri M36B1 (I think) .if the turrets good I wonder if it would mate with the Tasca/Asuka M4A3.........At the right price i may have to invest

stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 08:28 AM UTC
yeah,helps if I read the piece properly,£29 is within SWMBO approved budgetary restrictions.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

this could be interesting,I have the old Steve Zaloga Military Modelling article on updating the Italeri M36B1 (I think) .if the turrets good I wonder if it would mate with the Tasca/Asuka M4A3.........At the right price i may have to invest

Try finding the old Academy M36 which would be a cheaper option. Interesting that they show it withthe Post war M3 Barrel. The original MN36 kit by them came with three barrel types: Threaded cap, Muzzle Break and M3 Break with evacuator.
Al
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
Is this just a repop with new decals or were there new improved parts? I am happy to see this, but what happened to the M10 that was supposed to come out?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:12 PM UTC
I'm sure they are using the turret from their previous M36 kit. Academy already had the M4A3 upper hull from the M4A3 HVSS (105) release. Add a non HVSS lower tub and they're complete. There's really no need to re-tool anything frankly.

Another Academy M10 GMC re-pop isn't much to anticipate either, IMHO.

Yes, I know I'm spoiled by the Asuka/Tasca kits I fiddle with -- but life is too short and modelling time is too precious for me to settle on Academy half-hearted efforts when so many other kits are calling me.
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 07:12 PM UTC
that's what I was afraid of,maybe I hoped that in light of Asuka's drive to up the ante on injection moulded Shermans that other manufacturers would follow suit and raise the level of their own efforts but this may not (sadly) be the case....

Is there a faint glimmer of hope following the JGSDF M32 announcement that Asuka are still in the game for M4 based vehicles?All they would need for their own M36B1 would be a new tool turret(?)

hohum

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC
Frankly, as it's the only modern plastic game in town currently, I may get this at some point. Along with their regular Slugger. Really what I hope Asuka will do is maybe come out with a Hellcat... I feel like we could use a spot-on Asuka quality M18... Yeah, I know, no chance... The research involved and new tools need to be cast... But it'd be great if it came about. Or even if Bronco could pick up the idea... I know,
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
I agree Mike. I think it'll be a matter of time before new molds of M10, M36, M18 GMCs; M3 and M551 Light Tanks; M47, M46 and M3 mediums -- get issued. I even believe M5 and M9 halftracks will make it to market one day.

I know that companies like DML, Bronco and AFV Club are cutting dies for some pretty interesting subjects. I can't help but think that once some of the newer subjects get done, that those "classic" American WW2 and postwar AFVs will make it to market.

Like I said above, given my near glacial pace of model building these days, I can't complain too much about what is or isn't getting issued. I've got super nice kits on the shelf, just waiting for the knife and model cement and paint -- even if none of those wanted kits ever hits the hobbystores!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
I'm a fan of Academy kits ! I am definitely getting this!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
The M3 Lee definitely needs a new tool pop. Something from Bronco or AFV Club or even an Academy new tool is needed. Frankly I hope that Dragon doesn't decide to do these as we now all know what might come out.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:35 PM UTC
I disagree with you about this, Mikey. To me, it's clear that DML has different design teams. The ones that have worked on the recent Sherman-family AFVs such as the M7 Priest and the Sexton -- are FANTASTIC kits. If an M3 Lee were to come out, it would be this team that issues it -- not the one that did the M103A1. Don't over generalize a few recent clunkers from DML amidst a sea of great kits. If DML issues an M3 -- I'm pretty sure it'd be hard to beat in terms of accuracy.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
Well, you're right. I was seeing a stream when I should've been seeing an ocean. Although I would prefer somebody else produce a Lee, unless they've already done a Sherman-based kit, it might be more expensive due to research and tooling as it would be for Dragon as they have the molds they need.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 02:46 AM UTC
I'm still waiting for DML to release an M10. Looks like without Tasca it'll be a no contest.
 _GOTOTOP