_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rescribing over filled areas?
enterthedodo
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hey, I have some trouble with rescribing filled areas. I have used Perfect plastic putty. I use the Trumpeter tool. Whenever I try to make a line over area filled with putty, it starts chipping, making it impossible to rescribe!

Any tips on how to do it? I press gently, and it still chips away...

Thanks, learning a lot from you guys!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 12:20 AM UTC
Scribe normally around your un-puttied areas. When you get to the area where you've applied putty, instead of pulling the scrbing tool, use your knife to press in a tiny cut instead. Then carefully sand away the raised lip of the cut. Really no other way to do this with putty.

Alternatively, use super glue as your filler. If scribed within about 24 hrs after drying, it has the texture of styrene. After one day, it gets very hard however.
enterthedodo
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hmm, will try this as soon as I get back from work today!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 02:40 AM UTC
Ditto on the CA as filler, but note: when fully cured it becomes harder than the surrounding styrene. It will take a lot of careful sanding to level and smooth it. Because CA dries relatively clear, it's difficult to spot any irregularities on it's surface so you may have to prime and sand several times for a smooth surface. And woe to those who allow CA to run into any raised or scribed detail! Remove as much as possible immediately! Unlike styrene/solvent glues, CA will sit on the surface and cure into a rock-hard mess.
 _GOTOTOP