Sherman M1A1-Dragon or Eduard?
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi all.

I just found out that Eduard has released its own M1A1 Sherman in 1:35. Does anyone know how this kit compares to the Dragon one?

Thanks!
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 03:12 AM UTC
Eduard is using the Taska M4A1 as the base kit. A majority of Sherman fans consider the Taska kits to be the best available.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 03:48 AM UTC
If you mean the older DML M4a1 "early" then the task kit is light years ahead. The DML kit was great for it's time, I still have one in the stash, but the moulding and details are nowhere near the quality, fir, and refinement of the Taska.
Eric.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 04:45 AM UTC
The Eduard (Tasca) one by a mile.......
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all.

I just found out that Eduard has released its own M1A1 Sherman in 1:35. Does anyone know how this kit compares to the Dragon one?

Thanks!

The years old and once highly sought after DML 6048 M4A1 has senn its day and is far eclipsed by the Tasca/Askuda/Eduard one. Once this kit could not be found for love nor money but only because it was the only serious Sherman kit of the M4A1 75 to be found. It's demand for re release is what spurred DML to give us a whole family of Shermans. Tasca took Shermans to a whole new level starting from scratch which avoided a lot of the traps DML fell into as they started with modified Italeri Sherman Parts and updated from there.
The DML turret is retooled from the early Mk V/Firefly VC and still shows the ghost image of the Loaders hatch requiring a retexturing. Most importantly the mounting of the mantlet in the turret face is out by about 2mm vertically. The Hull is OK but the detail and fit are nowhere near the excellence of engineering that the Tasca kit has.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 12:23 AM UTC
Thanks everybody! As a newcomer to armour modelling (but an aircraft modeller of 20 years), I really appreciate the input. How is the "metal casting" effect on the TASCA Sherman turret? And can anyone recommend some aftermarket tracks I can get to go with this model? I prefer individual-link tracks rather the rubber band style ones that come with the kits.

Thanks!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks everybody! As a newcomer to armour modelling (but an aircraft modeller of 20 years), I really appreciate the input. How is the "metal casting" effect on the TASCA Sherman turret? And can anyone recommend some aftermarket tracks I can get to go with this model? I prefer individual-link tracks rather the rubber band style ones that come with the kits.

Thanks!

Panda Plastics produce some excellent link to link styrene Sherman tracks.
As for kits, as others mentioned, Dragon's current M4A1 kits are earlier or later variants than Eduard/Tasca's. Dragon's ancient mid-production M4A1 is long gone, and now they offer a decent direct-vision 1942 model (also as a British version), or a 1944 76mm variant (which could do with some updating, though it's still far better than Italeri's).
Eduard (Tasca) currently offers a 1943 model with solid driver's hoods.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks!

The kit supplied tracks are far removed from the old quality of rubber band tracks and will probably look a lot better than indy link tracks as it is very hard to get sag out them which is required on a vehicle with live track like a Sherman. Do not go with metal tracks if you choose Indy tracks.
 _GOTOTOP