_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Flakpanzer Crew-1945
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 09:13 AM UTC
Been poking at these for the past month and a half. Old kit, but nice poses. They're not for me, they're going somewhere else. I wanted to give them a mix of camouflages, hence there's only 1 plain panzer crew jacket. I'm not real satisfied with the Plane Tree camo, but I can live with it. Obviously the hair and facial hair are not regulation, I wanted them to look like they're more or less on their own, like a lot of the scattered remnants of the 6th SS Panzer Army on the retreat in '45.

They've still got a little bit left, and I'll probably be fussing with them all the way to the UPS store.

One thing I need some help with are the decals. They're great, but the eagle insignia isn't sitting right on 2 of them. Especially the guy with the binoculars. Any tips? I used solvaset and that worked everywhere except there.

-Conor
rossgary
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi Conor,
Peadot camo is looking good! Which decals are you using?
If you use the Archer decals with the carrier film, it doesn't leave any edges.Never had to use any setting solution with them either.
Just a couple of things, the SS wore the eagle on the upper left sleeve, not the chest. Something about them not being part of the armed forces but as a political movement. Also, the eagle on the Peadot camo was not seen as often as on the field blouse, so that might be an option?
What set do these come from? Look like some useful poses there ..

All the best mate,
Gary
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 07:09 PM UTC

Hi Conor,

Ok, good, but they are WSS: Take out the eagle from the chest !

Other than this, they are good, IMO !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 07:53 PM UTC
Others have pointed out the position thingie so I would add that with problem decals in the past I put a bit of gloss clear paint on the area first,to give a slick surface to put the buggers on. Then,I put a dab of flat clear on top to "glue" them down.
Low tech but it works for me and I suck at decals.
Also,small point but I kinda doubt a Sturmbahnf would be on a flakwagon. But hey,stranger things happened.
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 08:56 PM UTC
Thanks guys!

@Gary & Giovanni, very glad to hear that, they should be an easy transfer given how they're sitting now. They began as Wehrmacht tankers, and I followed the box art on that. Never knew that about the eagle! I'll give Archer decals a shot next time I think.

@Jerry, this is true. I didn't think about it enough too research what rank I was giving him (the joy of modeling at midnight), gotta remember that for next time. Who knows? Maybe he got demoted for expressing how he really felt about the situation in '45?

Thanks again fellas, means a lot.

-Conor
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
Conor,

Is this the "Achtung Jabo" set from DML? If so, they are wearing the Reed Green Drill Panzer uniform, not camo. This can be identified by the large patch pocket on the left breast of the tunic. This gear was very popular with armoured car crews, rather than the Black Panzer Uniform for obvious reasons related to camouflage. It was worn by both Heer and SS. The SS camo clothing is a different item altogether, and was only issued in "Pea Pattern". Also it's unlikely you'd see the SS collar dogs on this clothing (either camo or RGD). Photos taken of Wittmann's crew prior to Normandy at what is obviously some sort of ceremonial occasion show shoulder boards only (but worn with ribbon bars for decorations). Interestingly, even such a high profile crew as this one doesn't seem to have been issued with the black clothing, with the exception of Wittmann himself. Something you might consider is the low visibility rank markings, originally introduced for clothing without shoulder straps, a system of green on black bars (and oakleaves for officers). This was commonly also worn on denims and camo clothing.
 _GOTOTOP