Hosted by Darren Baker
Pub Windows
fenwood
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC
Evening all... I am in the process of building a London pub, circa, 1890s. About 1/32. What is the best method of detailing the windows? Are there any transfers/decals out there with pub info on them to put on the glass. I have tried downloading from sites but the effect is not very good.
Any ideas or sites to look at. I have tried various Pinterest sites but to no avail.
Thank for any help.
Tony
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi, Tony. What sort of look are you going for? Stained glass, glazed panes, single pane with a painted logo, etc?

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 08:31 PM UTC
I cut the window I need to the desired dimensions and then add the frame detail on using stock plastic parts glued on with white glue so it dries clear. If I want old glass,I coat the whole window with the glue to give that wavey old glass look.
Companies like Archer and Verlinden offer sheets of ads from that time period in various languages as well.
J
fenwood
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC
Mark, more the etched glass effect with possibly the pub name engraved or Ales, wines type of thing on the glass.
Jerry, Thanks for your input. I am working already as you suggest, but I am trying to figure out the etch windows.
Thank you both for your time.
Tony
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC
So one option for doing etched glass would be to print a mirror image (i.e. reversed) of whatever design you want on clear decal film and then apply that to the back (inside) of your window material. Would have to experiment with colors in order to get the right etched effect for which you're looking.

fenwood
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 05:28 AM UTC
Mark, thanks for the help. I had thought of that but I am not sure I have the wherewithal to accomplish the task.ha,ha or is it lol?
Thanks again,
Tony
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So one option for doing etched glass would be to print a mirror image (i.e. reversed) of whatever design you want on clear decal film and then apply that to the back (inside) of your window material. Would have to experiment with colors in order to get the right etched effect for which you're looking.

Tony, you are in the hands of an expert when you take Mark's advice!!! He helped me immensely when I started to make the stained glass windows on my church building, which turned out much better after his tutelage...

And Mark, I've been thinking a lot about the other panel, and hope to do something a bit more intricate btw....

Good luck Tony, looking forward to some posts...

Dave

PS. Jerry is no window making slouch either!!!
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 07:02 AM UTC
Dave,
You're much too kind; especially when it seems most of my suggestions for your windows fell flat.

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 05:29 PM UTC
You can use rub on transfers from craft shops. The trick is finding good quality ones with the right design. I've used them on a 120mm vignette and am happy with the results (and are pretty easy on the wallet).
fenwood
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 06:24 AM UTC
Thank you all for your input. I bought some acetate (the girl in the shop assured me that it is used for printing on. I tried it but the ink did not dry!!! I discovered afterwards that the acetate has two sides, one rough and the other smooth., Mine are both smooth...so back to another shop when I next get into town,,,or buy off the Internet.
So hold onto your hats and | will get back to you all. In the meantime I have downloaded the relevant window printed it out on glossy photo paper, attached it and glossed it with Atelier varnish.
See how that plays out.
OK thanks again for your help.
Tony
 _GOTOTOP