Hosted by Darren Baker
ANA M1151 vehicle condition
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
I was wondering if I can ask anyone who has been to Afghanistan a question regarding the ANA M1151s, specifically about the amount of wear and tear that the vehicles would go through. Since the M1151 in ANA service are usually second hand vehicles, is it accurate if I include heavy paint chips on the vehicles? Thanks again everyone.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 01:01 PM UTC
Here are a few examples (you may know some of these already posted in another thread of yours ). Not much paint chips in sight

On a side note, most of the ANA Humvees are new vehicles :

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Afghan-Forces-Getting-HMMWVs-06519/

H.P.
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Thanks H.P, it's a bit disconcerting how you seem to know what I have posted haha. There's some that weren't on my other post. The reason for this post is mainly to confirm whether or not the ANA vehicles were indeed new or in worn condition. It also looks like I might have to scratch build the gun shields. Do you have any pictures of an ANA M1151 with the same turret shields that Academy provides? Thanks again.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
No pics....But you can use Legend LF1196 Humvee GPK set for the turret :

H.P.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC
It is rarely accurate to represent chipping on ANY modern US vehicle, particularly the HWMMV. Regardless of what kind od cammo the ANA puts on it, the underlying paint is still CARC, which is very tough stuff indeed. On top of that, there was a vary nice done SF HWMMV recently that had inaccurate chipping all over it. Remember that these things are made of aluminum and fiberglass. The overwhelming amount of rust colored chipping is just plain inaccurate. At the most, that extra cammo will begin to wear off the CARC sand underneath, and then predominately where the gunner walks acrss the hood and the then the roof. I wouldn't even go that far - I've seen a lot of gunners who hate to risk slipping and busting their @$$ and just enter the turret from inside the vehicle.

By tyhe way, my SOF HWMMV reference is an excellent source of photos to see how these things really don't show much wear at all, plus they show very little wear on the Iraqi vehicles that had cammo applied over the CARC.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hallelujah Robert! Someone who sees the travesty of over-weathered and over-rusted modern US vehicles. It is driving me nuts.

I can vouch for what a great product Roberts disk is. I highly recommend buying one!

Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:43 AM UTC
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm a little low on funds, but the picture would definitely help, especially with the scratch building. I'm glad I don't have to add any paint chips. Does anyone know if I have to modify Academy's muffler to match the elongated ones I am seeing, or am I able to get away with the kit's muffler? Thanks again everyone.
 _GOTOTOP