_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
New Guy Here
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hello fellow modellers! First post here for me. Name is Russell, and I've been on the ww2aircraft forums for awhile but have recently gotten into some armor builds. Anyway I will have some questions for the experts here later but just wanted a proper introduction first.
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 09:13 AM UTC
Welcome good sir! Hope you have a great time here
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 09:58 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Russell, or should we say thanks for taxiing onto our forum. I've been lurking on the ears ale side a lot lately. There are some really great builds over there too.

When do we get to see some stuff?

Just curious, not pushing.

Dave

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 10:18 AM UTC
Welcome, Russell!

RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 12:38 PM UTC

Here is the first one I've done completed earlier this year. 1/48 Tamiya Tiger I. Believe it was an early production.

And don't be shy. Tell me what you guys think I need to improve on and what I'm doing ok with!
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 08:37 PM UTC

Here's what I've been working on the past few weeks. Tamiya 1/35 StuG IV. Pretty nice kit although a couple areas seem incomplete (hull area under fenders is nonexistent near fighting compartment.) I should have graphed in some sheet styrene but this project has been a little rushed due to the fact that I only have a few hours a week to work on my projects.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is the first one I've done completed earlier this year. 1/48 Tamiya Tiger I. Believe it was an early production.

And don't be shy. Tell me what you guys think I need to improve on and what I'm doing ok with!

Looks good from here Russell, I am learning a lot about wood and wood grain, so maybe on your wooden structures you could do some grain too.

Your 88mm rounds look awesome! And maybe if you dirty up the Tiger a bit it will look way more realistic. But what you've done is pretty good so far...

Dave
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 01:20 AM UTC
That's a good idea. I never thought to try a wood grain. Yea I have a bunch of 88 and 75mm rounds for the tiger I and II, Panther and panzer IV but only one tank so far
Arizonakid
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC

Hiya Russel:

They both look real good to me. No doubt your airplane experience showing through . And now here's a suggestion. Something that I have been doing for over 30 years on Tamiya armor kits, and their older practice of leaving the hull sponsons wide open . Instead of using sheet styrene, I always just cut a piece of the instruction sheet off, and used that to block the huge holes off with. It takes paint very well and is free with the kit, and works just as well as any other product you could pay for. And unless you are going to model a vehicle laying on it's side or upside down where people can see that area, no one will ever know.

Gary
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
You're off to a great start. Welcome to Armorama. I build planes too, sometimes, switching back and forth. When all the masking, puttying and sanding gets to be too much, I know it's vehicle time again.
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 07:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I never thought of paper as something I could use. Hmmm. Il try that some time. And yes I know what you mean about masking, painting putty sanding more putty and sanding. Lol aircraft are definitely tedious but for some reason easy for me compared with vehicles. I have little experience here and I have a couple questions for you all. First what is a filter? I see all these techniques here I've never used with aircraft besides some dry brushing. Oil wash, filters, rain marks, etc. I just bought some pigments rust color and medium earth color. Have no idea how or the best way to use these but I'd like to learn all these new and exciting products you guys use I really need to learn the proper order of weathering here. If someone can explain some details on how all this stuff works that would be awesome. Keep in mind all I have are enamel paints though, so what products are ok to use?

And sorry this is so long winded, but much to learn this young one has
 _GOTOTOP