Tank Workshop M151 Mutt Detail Set.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi,

This is a resin detail set for the old Tamiya kits (but may apply to the newest M151A1 and Grenada M151A2 as well) and I was wondering how good/accurate it was.

Worth buying or not?

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

Christophe
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
I'm sure it'd be usable on the new labeled ones from Tamiya.

However, after looking through it, I'm not to sure what all you get that you'd need or especially what might not be better serviced in PE format.

Many years ago the only reason I would have bought it is because it came with a grill minus molded in headlights so you could add clear instead of painting the plastic a la the old Tamiya version.

I couldn't see any correct additions for suspension corrections (upper swing arms, etc.).
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks!

The roadwheels MIGHT be better (with holes in the rims going all the way through) and the grille with hollowed out headlight positions might be useful for older Tamiya kits.

But yeah I see your point.

Cheers,

Christophe
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 05:35 AM UTC
A really good M151 update set is the new Legend one (LF1277). I reviewed it here. It includes resin and PE to add nice features not found in any current kits of them.

m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:59 PM UTC
The only recurring detail that remains uncorrected in all of the various updates is the lack of a proper M151/M151A1 steering wheel. I ended up buying a sprue from Tamiya America to get the steering wheel for the Willys Jeep kit. This is a very close match to the 1:1 scale item.

It would seem that with all of the corrected seats, gas can, antenna mounts, and heck yeah, even proper foot pedals (!) that a proper steering wheel might be included. Just sayin'....
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC
I agree on the steering wheel. I use one from the Bronco GPW kits. The US ones come w/two styles of wheel (one extra). The British Airborne GPWs come w/three wheels (two extra us style) as the Airborne version had a removable wheel, correctly depicted in the kit.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC
This is good for a USMC vehicle. You would still need a Marine front bumper.

I'd also say that the Legend kit is a mix of parts not to be use all together. One thing I noticed, the fording pipe mount is not an antenna mount. Straight M151 did not use a fuel can mounts. What would be nice is a VRC-47 radio set up.

With all that said you could find units doing all sorts of unofficial mods to vehicles.

Quoted Text

A really good M151 update set is the new Legend one (LF1277). I reviewed it here. It includes resin and PE to add nice features not found in any current kits of them.

BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all that said you could find units doing all sorts of unofficial mods to vehicles

Lots of cool shop made mods for those European assigned units. Double gas cans on mounts set perendicular in same spot. Also, wooden half doors, amber headlights for fog, etc.
 _GOTOTOP