_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Which Trumpeter 1/35 KV-1 should I get?
StargateNerd
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi!
I'm just getting into building tank models (Though I've built a lot of car models and miniature wargaming figures, so I know what I'm getting myself into.) and recently ordered a Trumpeter 1/35 KV-2 after a lot of thinking what model to buy.

Now however, I can buy one (or more~) or Trumpeter's KV-1 kits as well, but I'm having trouble deciding which of the five to buy, since I can't really see if there is any real difference between them.
So my choices are (all Trumpeter 1/35):
KV-1 Small Turret
Heavy-cast Turret Tank
KV-1s Ehkranami
Simplified Turret Tank
Lightweight-cast turret

I'm leaning towards the Ehkranami, because its turret looks the best with the bolts and extra armour, but I thought I'd ask people with more experience than me of their opinions.

So what is the difference between the kits, if any? Is there anything else I should consider?

Regards,
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:32 PM UTC
Well, I have built two of those KV kits you listed above and can't really say any major/significant difference between them. They all are really straight forward kits to build without major problems. Only differences you can find in main gun and turret, otherwise you'll find very much almost same parts in all of those kits.
If you want to make them more historically accurate, then you should visit Neil Stoke's excellent 4bogreen website.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want to make them more historically accurate, then you should visit Neil Stoke's excellent 4bogreen website.

I second this
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 07:31 PM UTC
You could also have a look on PMMS :

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/subject/kv.htm

I would also consider the Model 1939, as it has a unique look and is one of the only Trumpeter kits in the series with a turned metal barrel AND photo-etched mesh for the engine grilles.

Contents of the kit can be seen here :

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=8167

And my build of the 1939 model.

Cheers,

Christophe

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now however, I can buy one (or more~) or Trumpeter's KV-1 kits as well, but I'm having trouble deciding which of the five to buy, since I can't really see if there is any real difference between them.
KV-1 Small Turret
Heavy-cast Turret Tank
KV-1s Ehkranami
Simplified Turret Tank
Lightweight-cast turret

I'm leaning towards the Ehkranami, because its turret looks the best with the bolts and extra armour, but I thought I'd ask people with more experience than me of their opinions.

So what is the difference between the kits, if any? Is there anything else I should consider?

The differences are in details, both the turret and the hull. The different kits try to represent the different versions. As mentioned, http://www.4bogreen.com has great info on what you need to do make an accurate kit. This table compares the kits against the versions of the real tank. As you can see, kits 311, 312, 356, and 358 are the easiest as they will give you accurate kits out of the box.

KL
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 11:49 PM UTC
The newer kits have individual track links from memory and the older versions are link and length but you also get rubber babd tracks included in the box. The older kits offer excellent value for money. I have the whole series in various states from not touched to complete and I rate them all highly.
StargateNerd
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC
Thank you all for your answers!

I've thought it over some more and decided to buy the Simplified Turret one. It seems like the 'best' kit.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 04:40 AM UTC
You are not going to go wrong with a single one of them.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi!
I'm just getting into building tank models (Though I've built a lot of car models and miniature wargaming figures, so I know what I'm getting myself into.) and recently ordered a Trumpeter 1/35 KV-2 after a lot of thinking what model to buy.

KV-1 Small Turret
Heavy-cast Turret Tank
KV-1s Ehkranami
Simplified Turret Tank
Lightweight-cast turret

Regards,

I've got the Simplified turret version half completed and the cast turret model ready to start. I also went for the KV122 purely from a Xbox World of Tanks perspective lol.
 _GOTOTOP