_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Any of you guys paint with a brush?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
I've been having so much trouble with using my AB, I'm thinking about using a brush... My question for those who use brushes, are you able to achieve good overall results with paints like Vallejo or Ammo and such? Any special tips other than a good primer (which I can do with a spray can) and using several coats of highly diluted paint? Is it better to use a flat brush for big spaces, or better to use a large size round brush?

I'd appreciate any tips

Hisham
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
All brush, nothing but the brush. If you look up any of my builds on site, you can see what Vallejo's are capable of. I've got a good selection of brush types, synthetics and decent sables. Flats, chiseled flats and blunt rounds for area work, then smaller flats and a filbert I haven't tested yet for medium coverage/dry brushing and assorted smaller rounds for detailing. I have yet to try liners, some day. I find the chiseled flat to work best when I apply Vallejo primer as it needs a slightly different touch, but flats and rounds seem to work equally well for subsequent coats. I'm still working out how to do soft edge camo, but I think I may have figured it out, still needs testing. If you have any questions, ask away or send me a pm.

Kimmo
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thanks for your reply, Kimmo. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that almost no one paints vehicles with brushes these days I have painted Vallejo with brushes before, and they are great, but only on figures.. never on a large surface where brush strokes may be obvious.

So, I guess I'll go ahead and order some large size brushes and give it a try

Thanks a again
Hisham

P.S. I tried to find some of your builds, but I couldn't. If you could post a couple of pics of your builds here so I can get an idea of what is possible, I would really appreciate it
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
There's a few of us Luddites around There's a hairy stick campaign coming up you might want to watch or participate in.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=789

Scaling up or down is about the same except of course you can see coverage or mistakes a little more easily. Here's a few links:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/212564

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/5334

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/221981

Kimmo
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC
Never even owned an airbrush. Even my 1/12 scale cars are brush painted.
Always use the best brushes you can get, and take good care of them. Use long even strokes, and more than one coat.
I use sable or a synthetic called 'prolene', and whilst for acrylic I rinse in water between colours, at the end of a session wash them in washing-up liquid and warm water.
Revell paints aren't great but I regularly use Tamiya and Vallejo.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hi Hisham,

I paint everything by brush, don't own an AB, never have. I use a broad flat brush for large areas and alter size of brush to part size accordingly.

Kimmo and Dave pretty much sum it up.

Have fun

Al
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 02:46 PM UTC
Thanks for your replies, guys.

Kimmo, you builds look great!

I think I'm going to just stop spending half my time fighting with the AB and the compressor and just use brushes

Hisham
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 05:23 PM UTC
While looking for brushes, I found Vallejo Kolinsky brushes and Vallejo Pony brushes. Are the "Pony" ones good enough, because there's a hefty difference in price?

Hisham
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 07:37 PM UTC
There is definitely a difference, however, you may not really notice it when doing larger objects as fine control is less necessary. I'm going to get some small Kolinskys when my figure painting improves to justify the extra expense. Have a look on ebay for brushes. I found a place that sells factory seconds in bundles, a mixed bag of synthetics and sables/natural hairs. Very good deals and the brushes are good enough to start with so you can get a feel for what the different types can do. Bigger sables can be very very pricey and for strict coverage work, not really necessary. Art supply shops usually carry "student" grade brushes (often in handy sets) which are a good compromise between cost and quality. And while you're shopping, get some brush cleaning/conditioning soap if you don't already have some.

Kimmo
KevPak
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hisham-

This is a pic of my Dragon 1:35 Nashorn, which was painted entirely w/ a series of paintbrushes (although I sold out and now own an airbrush - still waiting to be used!). The camo effect was achieved by applying a series of progressively darker washes so that the color faded out towards the periphery of the area being painted. Hope this helps!

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hello Hisham,

Using brushes is getting to be a lost art anymore. I've personal have been using them for many years and still have not mastered them.

Like Kimmo stated there are many types from sable, horse hair to nylon brushes and different brush sizes also. These range from pin brushes for detail figure work to large fan brushes for large surface areas. I must warn you that getting the right coverage with brushes is not easy. The paint you use has to be mixed correctly or the brush marks will show on the final coat. You may have to apply up to 3 coats or more if you don't prime the kit first.

I find using a brush give you better sense of pride that gets put into the build. It's relaxing in a strange way also.

HTH

See ya in the funnies.................
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for all your input, guys.. I'll get some brushes and start trying.. I can't imagine it'll ever be anywhere near as bad as what I'm getting with the AB

Hisham
 _GOTOTOP