_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Type 95 - my first Japanese armor build
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 11:56 AM UTC
Dragons Type 95 tank in 1/35. Really liked this kit. Went to together very nicely. The only thing I changed was the tracks - Friulmodel and the replaced the etch mud scrapers with ones made from sheet plastic (the kit ones interfered with the drive sprocket and tracks. Has a coat of primer and since these pics were made I soaked the tracks in Blacken-It.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC
Looks like a nice clean build
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC
Great start there, Chris. Did the PE bits come with the kit?
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC
The PE is all included in the kit. Think this is one of Dragons best efforts - can't vouch for the accuracy but it looks like a Type 95. Here's some pics with the first base coat of khaki overall. I mixed up the colors using Tamiya paints. Debating if I'm going to try and mask to paint the other colors or brush paint with Vallejo colors.

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 03:13 PM UTC
Look great so far. Crisp details and a clean build...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 05:23 PM UTC
Looks to be a clean build of an interesting tank. The rear of the engine compartment does not seem to sit flush.
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 09:58 AM UTC
That is a very nice clean build you have there. Yours makes me want to go out and get the kit immediately. Please tell us what colors you mixed for the khaki base, it looks spot on to me.

When I built the old Tamiya Type 97 I sprayed the base color then used Vallejo brushed on for the remaining camo colors.

Quoted Text

Looks to be a clean build of an interesting tank. The rear of the engine compartment does not seem to sit flush.

It looks fine to me. Did you ever think maybe the real tank's deck didn't "sit flush" either?

Were you bullied as a child?

You seem to be unable to post any comment without saying something derogatory. Most often your comments make no sense.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hey Ian, lighten up some. it's constuctive crit. which is what the program is all about. More eyes see what only one set does. If you look at the second from last (pic from the back), it looks weird. I think it's because of that part (long thin hatch?) just past the begining of the right corner where the deck and bulk head meet. I had to look at it a few times myself. Seems to overlap the edge and throws the clean egde off some.
Chriss, looks real fine so far. I need a Japonesse tank (extra small for a vignette I want to do and this looks like it would fit the build. Did the breach come with the kit or did you scratch it up. Also wonder if the Japonesse had air paint guns like some German tanks did. From the pic's I've seen it looks like most were hand paintd.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 03:29 PM UTC
Ian: A few things.
First - This forum is "constructive feedback". I give it and expect
it.
Second - Chris may have missed this.
Third - I plan on building this kit and am curious about any fit
issues.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 08:07 PM UTC
The build looks very nice. I like the aftermarket tracks for the look they provide. All the tanks I have seen good photos of look to be hand painted, although the Japanese did have access to spray guns for painting.

I found in my builds that the fit of the rear deck to the hull is a bit tricky and alignment can be the slightest bit off. This is the only real fit issue with the kit, and not hard to fix if you pay attention On my last build I missed this as everything else fits so easily. You really have to look to notice.

Bob, the gun breech is included, and with the early version there are two options for the setup.
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 08:11 PM UTC
Constructive is one thing, nit picky rivet counting is another. I have no tolerance for "Captain Keyboard" types, especially when they have no clue.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 09:12 PM UTC
First off Chris this is a great looking build, as people have said very clean and well done. Have you tried using silly putty for masking? pretty quick and easy to lay out, and hey, its silly putty so its fun
Ian chill out, I really don't think pointing something out about a possible fit issue (though it apparently was not) is rivet counting. This is constructive criticism and Ive been happy to have people point fit issues out on my builds. Sometimes another set of eyes helps us see things we're blind to from staring at it for so long.
Chris, Cant wait to see how this progresses!
Eric.
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 09:59 PM UTC
Firstly, no offense taken with any criticisms or observations. I think the angles and lighting in the photos might be the culprit. The panels on the rear, both the angled top and vertical plate are flush. As to fit, its about as good as it gets. Dragon was on their A-game when they did this one. The only error was when they did the DS tracks - way too long. Went with Friul so it wasn't an issue.

Hate assembling Friul tracks but love the way they look once they're done.

I used Tamiya Khaki thinned 40/60 and added one drop of Red Brown and three or four drops of white. I was trying to match the color in my Gunze paint set and its close.

Liked this kit enough to buy the second 'early' version.
Removed by original poster on 12/11/14 - 17:14:59 (GMT).
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC
Chris, good to know about the tracke too, what kind of money did they run you? They really do improve the overall look. I'll have to keep an eye at the A.M.P.S. show in Auburn this year for a set.
Russ Thanks, good to know as much as I can before it's bought and then have to do a bunch of extra work or change the ides around. bob d.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 02:48 PM UTC
I went on a spending spree buying a few of the Japanese armor kits so now I know what to expect.

I think your Ha-Go is looking great so far. What plans for paint are you thinking Chris?

Jeff
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC
Darn! It looks like I missed all the excitement yesterday.

Good looking build so far, Chris. Like Matt said, the rear section does seem a bit off in the picture, but as you have the piece sitting right in front of you, and say it's fine, it must be.

For those not wanting to shell out the $35 or $40 for aftermarket tracks, can the idler be repositioned enough to take up the slack in the DS tracks, or will the DS need more serious surgery to be used?
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Darn! It looks like I missed all the excitement yesterday.

Good looking build so far, Chris. Like Matt said, the rear section does seem a bit off in the picture, but as you have the piece sitting right in front of you, and say it's fine, it must be.

For those not wanting to shell out the $35 or $40 for aftermarket tracks, can the idler be repositioned enough to take up the slack in the DS tracks, or will the DS need more serious surgery to be used?

Maybe I'm missing something, to my eye it looks flush but I do also have to wear glasses . Are we talking about the flat vertical plate or the sloped on with the little access hatch?
Removed by original poster on 12/14/14 - 04:58:19 (GMT).
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I went on a spending spree buying a few of the Japanese armor kits so now I know what to expect.

I think your Ha-Go is looking great so far. What plans for paint are you thinking Chris?

Jeff

Going to mix my colors using Tamiya paints. Think I can spray a tight pattern for the brown and green and then hand paint the yellow stripes.
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chris, good to know about the tracke too, what kind of money did they run you? They really do improve the overall look. I'll have to keep an eye at the A.M.P.S. show in Auburn this year for a set.
Russ Thanks, good to know as much as I can before it's bought and then have to do a bunch of extra work or change the ides around. bob d.

I got them off eBay and paid 30.00 plus shipping from Poland. Saved maybe $10.00.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe I'm missing something, to my eye it looks flush but I do also have to wear glasses . Are we talking about the flat vertical plate or the sloped on with the little access hatch?

Can't speak for Matt, but I was looking at the sloped plate. Obviously, it's only an illusion and not an actual problem area.

Keep up the good work!
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 08:14 PM UTC
Looking good so far! The more I see these little Japanese tanks the more I like them, I think I'm going to hve to pick one up soon.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Bob, the tracks are too long even if the kit idler is all the way to the rear. You will have to trim a couple of links to get a proper fit, or else there is just way too much sag. The Fruil tracks are beautiful. Modelkasten offer some, or you can save up and get 98 tanks and have enough of the spare links they provide for a complete set of tracks for one tank.

Chris, I look forward to your paint work.
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Can't speak for Matt, but I was looking at the sloped plate. Obviously, it's only an illusion and not an actual problem area.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, and to all if something looks screwy chime in, that's the way I learn and maybe build a better model. It keeps me occupied and that makes my wife happy.
 _GOTOTOP