_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Deparately Seeking Bill The Cat decals
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 09:08 PM UTC
I'm wanting to build an M1 from the CAT '87 competition and wanting to find the Bill the Cat and the 4-8 Patch that goes on the other side of the front of the turret.

I know Verlinden had a dry transfer sheet and an old Accademy/Minicraft had decals for this... but I just can't find them anywhere!

I've searched the E-Bay and found some old Academy/Minicraft M1IP kits but it looks like some may not have the Bill the Cat decals, just more modern chevrons. As far as I can tell, the similar kit had different decals depending on when/who made it. Not sure if it's in the one that was an Academy/Minicraft of just plain Academy on the label.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
I ran across one set of the Academy decals the other day, may have more. My guess is that you'd want to shoot some clear on them before trying to use them as some of the other older Acad decals I've tried to use lately have broken up as soon as they start to slide on the paper.
Let me take a look in the decal stash tonight, I think there may be another set in there.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 01:35 AM UTC
If that doesn't work out, drop me a line. I have the Academy kit too and I shan't need those decals.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
Awesome! Hopefully I can put these to good use for you. Sent message.

I'd like to make a couple of these - so the more options the merrier!

I imagine the M1s from the CAT shoot where locally upgraded M1IPs - basically an original (tamyia) with an extended bustle rack attached - I think the turret railings and storage boxes were even old style too.

There's several threads here about them so as soon as I'll start my notes by combing through the various posts.
Removed by original poster on 12/14/14 - 04:31:46 (GMT).
accelr8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I imagine the M1s from the CAT shoot where locally upgraded M1IPs - basically an original (tamyia) with an extended bustle rack attached - I think the turret railings and storage boxes were even old style too.

Not quite. The 4-8 CAV IPM1s were not "locally upgraded", but rather part of the early production run of IPM1s. All IPM1s had additional frontal armor and the turrets were larger as a result. You can use the tamiya M1 hull, but you have to use a "long" turret (M1A1). Since they did not have anti-skid applied, your only choice is the Tamiya M1A2 (35269) turret and backdate it as i did.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23384726@N06/sets/72157649334034687/

rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 04:23 AM UTC
Bruce, the envelope came back, "return to sender, no such number, unable to forward". I have the address correct as it's given to me in you PM....
You have a PM and a voice msg on the number you gave me.
Lemme know what's up so I can get these re-sent.
 _GOTOTOP