_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Does Zvezda still suck?
AcornMan
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
I bought some Zvezda Soviet WW II figures many years ago, and frankly they were junk compared to Dragon, Tamiya, and even MB. Has Zvezda improved at all?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
I think Zvezda is hit and miss. Some of their newer kits are very nice, but I'm only speaking from other people's experience.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 04:32 AM UTC
Not yet, but with their newer products they are definitely on the right track. On the other side, they are cheap, so You kind of get what You paid for.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Zvezda has upped their game and are producing kits that will please many quality wise curently.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 06:35 AM UTC
I built a Zvezda Su-100 a couple years I got on sale from Squadron.com; it was okay but the hull was multi-piece instead of single-piece; came out okay but a few fit problems. tracks were crap; used some spares from another kit; the newer kits are supposed to be better. still built into a good-looking model.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 07:08 AM UTC
For figures I would say they are still pretty unrefined but better than they were. Kit-wise, they are making leaps and bounds in terms of quality. Their recent Panther for instance is quite elegant albeit sans fan grill covers.
Compare to Dragon, for instance, who have struck out three times with some pretty bad Allied "black label" kits.
Be mindful much of Zvezda's stable of kits are reboxes of older kits from Peerless-cum-Italeri, Eastern Express, etc. Therefore one needs to confirm the provenance of a kit before buying - the interwebs is your friend!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 02:16 PM UTC

I can only join in with the other gentlemen...try to find a review (or 2) on the web before you buy anything (not only from Zvezda ).

Zvezda are producing fantastic figures in 1/72 (historical ones), some of the very best on the market...as long as they are not repackaged old Italeri sets. Here we can use the fantastic review site available to get a top evaluation of the product.

Cheers

Romain

Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 03:18 PM UTC
It depends what You are looking for. New armour kits are good, old reboxis of Dragon/Italeri not. Most 1/72 figures are great, in 1/35 they have some issues. Planes in 1/48 are overcomplicated and even thou they get good reviews due to detail, I dont like them and in fact I trashed their Me109F2 recently due to poor fit.
edklingon
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 06:36 PM UTC
Zvezda is improving, their new releases area very good, as example the T-90 - besides the critics about proportions an fidelity, its a very well casted and detailed kit!
mammock
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 06:47 PM UTC
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 08:02 PM UTC
Totally uncalled for.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:29 PM UTC
Like most other Eastern European/Russian companies, Zvezda has improved considerably.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:45 PM UTC
I reviewed and built their Tiger I early production and thought it was a very nice kit. Had a problem with the hull being warped, which they replaced. A few minor sink marks that I was able to fix, like with many other kits. Detail was good. The only low was a lack of etch screens for the rear deck, but an aftermarket set for Tamiya worked fine. The price was less than half that for a Dragon tiger kit.

I have their BF-109F-4, which is considered by many to be the best in styrene. Not armor, but an indication of what they can do.

I have built many of their Art of Tactic kits in 1/72 and 1/100. These are gaming kits, but the detail is comparable with other 1/72 kits I have seen. The snap tite assembly is also an excellent starting point for beginning modelers.

Some of their products are reviewed here as well, so you can get a better idea of what they offer.
darthpanzer
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 10:49 PM UTC
From personal experience i can say Zvezda has improved a huge in terms of accuracy and quality control. Their panzerjager I kit is one of my all time favorites. I just finished the 1/48 yak -3 and i enjoyed a lot.The old armor and figures were not super but i will say even today they still a bargain. you can still find some figures sets for about $5. and some tanks kits for less than $15. In today's
economy that real good. The 1/72 gaming line is really good, i have most of the samurais and they rock.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 11:28 PM UTC

Hi gents,

My personal experience: In the first beginning of Zvedza, the 1:35 kits were just Italeri (or better, Italaeri) reboxed. Some of them were poor, other were acceptable.

Actually the are quite better, i.m.o. Of course not comparable with Dragon or MB, but definitely cheaper.

Cheers

Giovanni
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
Though not as refined as resin kits, many of Zvezda's figures have some very unique action poses. I say ... If you see a particular set that you like ... give 'em a go!

I have experience with the following Zvezda kits:

'Soviet Tank Infantry' -- good details.
'Soviet DSHK Machinegun w/Crew' -- good details.
'German Motorcycle R12 w/sidecar and crew' -- good details.
'GAZ-MM Soviet Truck' -- lots of flashing, not the best details -- tolerable after paint/weathering.
'Soviet BA-10 Armored Car' -- same as GAZ-MM (identical chassis) -- served well as a burned-out vehicle!

Regardless of some quality issues, these kits were inexpensive and a lot of fun to build.

--mike
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Regardless of some quality issues, these kits were inexpensive and a lot of fun to build.

--mike

Agree with this. With some additional corrective work, the final result can be good.

Cheers

Giovanni
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi,

It depends the figure kits.
The russian sniper set is one of the best plastic set I ever seen at the time of its release. They look like the tank resin figures. But at the same moment a set of German sniper were relased, which were total crap. Their russian moutain troops as also an excellent nlevel of details, and the action poses are never seen before. Their latest german para set is quite good too, with a entire parachute in it. The soviet flak group with DSHK is also of good quality.
As other said, recent kits are ok. But it varies from one to the other too.

Julien
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 09:00 PM UTC
Zvezda's Soviet marines (Stalingrad?) is also a very good set and mix well with MB's hand-to-hand combat between German and Soviet marine troops. Their German infantry in winter ('41 - '42) is also excellent and mix well with Dragon figs.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 05:09 PM UTC
I can personally vouch for their 1/35 Merc 4.5 tonner. This is avery nice kit well detailed and builds up well. I have another and the big Maultier in my stash.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 05:52 PM UTC
I've been building a bunch of their kits. I buy their trucks, armored cars etc...I wouldn't buy their tanks though. It's an ok model as long as you are aware that they are not top of the line, then its not too hard on your brain. You can make their kits look good with a little extra work...pigments, washes..extra added parts from the spares box..etc.. Dragon/Cyber Hobby all the way for armor.
 _GOTOTOP