_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Half-tracks
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
I have seen photographs of IDF M3 half-tracks that have been upgraded with diesel engines. I notice that the radiator grilles have been plated over, and wonder how air would enter to cool the radiator. With the original grille being blocked off, would there be have been another entry point, or would it not actually be necessary?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC
Isn't the armour only on top, front and sides ?
It should be possible to draw cooling air from beneath, maybe under the frontal armour, a duct between the front axle and the armour ?
Guessing .....
/ Robin
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:17 AM UTC
The Halftracks were re-engine with GM 6V53. This upgrade increased range and power. The air box was relocated under the front passengers dash and had the same cylindrical intake as on the M113s. The old dash was also replaced and as you mentioned the exhausts were rerouted to the underneath the fenders in a cut-out with covers over the fenders.

Chris
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:54 AM UTC
I know there's never been a kit of an IDF halftrack. But have any interesting conversion or stowage sets ever been produced?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:57 AM UTC
You might be unlucky enough to find some old offerings from AEF Designs.
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 06:18 AM UTC
I have some of the AEF stuff for IDF halftracks and for the MOST part they are all horrible. I had high hopes for the DEFA 90 MM conversion but, it stunk.... The DML halftracks are sooo nice they just cry out for AM sets. Even the old Tamiya kits aren't terrible with a little love...

Chris
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
That's too bad, you would think Israeli halftracks would've gotten more attention - after all, we see so many other IDF subjects. Some of these halftracks were eventually passed on to allied Lebanese militias. I'm not sure when the last ones were retired.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:07 AM UTC
I'm converting the DML M3/M3A1 kit into an IDF M5. Not an easy task -- many, many changes and scratchbuilt sub assemblies needed. But I know the differences between the two (I converted an M16 into an M17 before).
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's too bad, you would think Israeli halftracks would've gotten more attention - after all, we see so many other IDF subjects. Some of these halftracks were eventually passed on to allied Lebanese militias. I'm not sure when the last ones were retired.

I think the Chilean Army still uses its ex IDF halftracks!
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I beleive that the IDF still had up to 500 on their books up to 2002.
HunterO4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:21 AM UTC
Dragon Models have just come out with the 1/35 scale IDF M3 Halftrack.

Building an IDF AA MGMC isn't all that hard to do, Here are the kits you'll need:

1. 1/35 M16 MGMC Halftrack by Tamiya or Dragon Models.
2x Italeri Models, 1/35 PT BOAT ACCESSORY SET.

Just build the halftrack as you would regularly do, except leave off the upper MG Mounting pylons, But install the lower ones.

Then, remove the two 20mm orlikons from the two PT Boat Accessory sets, cut or sand off any PT Boat Mounting detail, then carefully cut off the molded on mounting pads of two of the .50Cal MGs and glue to the mounting pylon holes, both sides, then mount the orlikons to the mounting pads, then the drum magazines to the guns.

Then you'll need two small squares of styrene, you will have to slide it over the barrel, and glue it to the front of the receiver, both sides.

Cut two short lengths of sprue, dianganolly and glue to the underside of the small square piece at one end underneath the gun's mounting arm.

ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The IDF gradually replaced its Halftracks with M113's in the '70's-'80's, even though a few of them were kept and used for border patrolling in the '90's. The last ones left the emergency reserve depots in the early '00's.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:06 PM UTC
Halftrack variants used by the IDF.

http://idf-armor.blogspot.co.at/2010/08/half-tracks-in-idf-armor-service.html
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some of these halftracks were eventually passed on to allied Lebanese militias.

Ex-IDF Haltrack of the SLA.

_GOTOTOP