_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Converting the Nimrod to Finnish vehicle.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi all,
I recently purchased the Hobby Boss Hungarian Nimrod AA vehicle. I know this is based off of the Swedish Luftvearkanon and I know that Finland bought some examples of this vehicle. Does anyone know what, other than paint and markings, I need to do to covert the Hungarian version to the Finnish version. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Jeff
DKeu8726
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:55 AM UTC
Hi
Ther is som info on wikipedia and if you googel the name nimrod AA.you will find a lot off fotos, and even som cut away drawings
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:37 PM UTC
Here are some pics of from Parola museum (Finland) :

http://legion-afv.narod.ru/Landsverk_Anti_II_2_Parola.html

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/PlatypusPublications/AMagnus_PlaytypusPub_ParolaAmourMuseum_CD_review.htm

http://mje.1g.fi/kuvat/Referenssit/Referenssit/Parolan+panssari+museo/Panssariseminaari+2009/Landsverk+Anti+II++Ps455-4/

H.P.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:01 PM UTC
I suspect it won't be a straightforward task. I did a search on a Finnish modeler's site and nobody there has attempted this yet, and there doesn't seem to be any info on what exactly would need to be done. I do recall the turret being different for starters. I would suspect the gun sights would be different as well as stowage, Frenchy's links should help.

Kimmo
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 12:02 AM UTC
Thanks for your responses guys. Frenchy, thanks for the fantastic photos. I would think that the easiest way to go about this would be to build the Nimrod and just use Finnish markings. The deatailed photos from inside the turret are going to be extremely helpful.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 12:51 AM UTC
Just found these drawings:

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/4-Others/01-Finland/01-Tanks/04-SPG/Landsverk-L62-Anti2.htm

These are helpful also. The turret is definitely different on the Hungarian version...the back is square and the Finnish turret is rounded. There is also a storage rack on the left side of the
Finnish vehicle that is not on the Hungarian model. Hobbby Boss could really get some mileage out of these molds if they would release the Finnish version also.

Jeff
romsits
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hello Jeff,

the turret of the L62 was totally different from the Nimrod, we redesigned the later to accomodate a crew of 5 instead of the original 4.
The L62 "prototype" purchased by Hungary was not similar to the Finnish version, as it looked just like a Nimrod with a smaller turret.
If you want to convert it to a Finnish vehicle, you have to modify the layout of the engine deck, sides, tools fromt plate and the whole turret.

I beg you not to paint the HB kit in Finnish colours as this would be fictious. There are some nice (and proper Hungarian) schemes for the Nimrod.

Yours

Adam
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jeff,

the turret of the L62 was totally different from the Nimrod, we redesigned the later to accomodate a crew of 5 instead of the original 4.
The L62 "prototype" purchased by Hungary was not similar to the Finnish version, as it looked just like a Nimrod with a smaller turret.
If you want to convert it to a Finnish vehicle, you have to modify the layout of the engine deck, sides, tools fromt plate and the whole turret.

I beg you not to paint the HB kit in Finnish colours as this would be fictious. There are some nice (and proper Hungarian) schemes for the Nimrod.

Yours

Adam

I hear you Adam and I'm going to take your advice.. I'm keeping the Nimrod in Hungarian colors. I found some really neat photos of several Nimrods parked along a road providing AA cover. I think this would make a cool diorama.

I'm not very good at scratchbuilding and I don't want an inaccurate vehicle so I'm going to build the Hungarian version. Hungarian Camouflage schemes were pretty cool.

Hobby Boss should use these molds and release a Finnish version of this vehicle.

Thanks for your comments.

Jeff
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 12:20 AM UTC
The problem is the Finnish Landsverk Anti II is pretty much a different vehicle. HobbyBoss would have to make a new hull and turret I would think. They superficially resemble each other but that's about it.

Jim
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem is the Finnish Landsverk Anti II is pretty much a different vehicle. HobbyBoss would have to make a new hull and turret I would think. They superficially resemble each other but that's about it.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
I think if they would produce a kit of the Finnish vehicle I would buy it. I'm sure a lot of other fans of Finnish WWII armor would buy it too. I know...there is a lot of untapped potential out there and if I wait long enough It will probably come out in kit form.

Jeff
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 12:51 AM UTC
Yep, I'd love to see one. Got enough pictures of it! From the Finnish Anti-Aircraft Museum at Tuusula.

Jim
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:42 AM UTC
Gotta love that authentic paint job. I'll have to pop in one of these years.

Kimmo
crucial_H
Visit this Community
Södermanland, Sweden
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:27 AM UTC
I guess you where ironic here Kimmo. Those colors look really wrong to me.
The one in Parola is far more accurate.
 _GOTOTOP