_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Russian green,question
Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I'm trying again to write the link.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958911-russian-modern-armour-images/
If this functions, many examples of the uniform dark green I mean can be found forthemost on the second page.
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo,

as I mentioned, I am definitely not an expert in modern colors, but I have never ever seen such a grey-green tone as the base color. Maybe these photos were touched by Photoshop - e.g. their contrast may have been enhanced, I don't know.
Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

MIG got it quite well with their 4BO color

So you're saying that the new Ammo mini set from MIG is a pretty good match? I did a quick review of the set and looking at my sample, the green looks much lighter, more like 24 ng on the AKAN link. Bear in mind the photos in the review are a little over exposed, but not by much. I'm actually trying to do a mix from Vallejos at the moment because I don't really like the way the MIG paint brushes on. It will do the job eventually, but it just doesn't brush on or cover as nicely and as easily as Vallejos in my opinion.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/10858

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

looking at the picture that you provided - yes, 4BO there is indeed too green. But I was looking at the real MIG's 4BO A-019 (have it at home) - it is alright and not as green. Also the PDF that kicked off the discussion got the tone right (look at the painted spoons on page 2).
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

MIG got it quite well with their 4BO color

So you're saying that the new Ammo mini set from MIG is a pretty good match? I did a quick review of the set and looking at my sample, the green looks much lighter, more like 24 ng on the AKAN link. Bear in mind the photos in the review are a little over exposed, but not by much. I'm actually trying to do a mix from Vallejos at the moment because I don't really like the way the MIG paint brushes on. It will do the job eventually, but it just doesn't brush on or cover as nicely and as easily as Vallejos in my opinion.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/10858

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

looking at the picture that you provided - yes, 4BO there is indeed too green. But I was looking at the real MIG's 4BO A-019 (have it at home) - it is alright and not as green. Also the PDF that kicked off the discussion got the tone right (look at the painted spoons on page 2).

Hmmm... a noticeable difference. I'm wondering if there was a mix up with the bottles or an off batch. My paint definitely doesn't look that drab and is lighter and slightly glossy. If I had an airbrush I'd do a comparison to see if the paint dries differently.

Kimmo
Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
If you have Tamiya's paints, do a 50/50 mix of XF-49 (Khaki) and XF-58 (Olive Green) - that should give you a pretty good understanding of that true 4BO unique tone...
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you have Tamiya's paints, do a 50/50 mix of XF-49 (Khaki) and XF-58 (Olive Green) - that should give you a pretty good understanding of that true 4BO unique tone...

Not anymore. I completely switched over to the odourless world of Vallejo a couple of years ago. I've got a bunch of Greens that I don't use much so now's a good chance to play with them. Now that I know what I'm supposed to be going for, I think I'll get there. Besides, mixing paint is kinda fun. I used to work in printing so it's not that big a deal.

Kimmo
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hi Phil,
I've found the same shade on the plastic of the BMPT of Meng, that looks a very well documented kit. It could resemble to prewar 3B, or FS 34079. Besides I've seen a movie with a vehicle of this dark color aside another with a more yellowish and lighter green, so I think it's real.
Do you know any site or person that could give informations on this, please?
Regards
Massimo

Quoted Text

Hi Massimo,

as I mentioned, I am definitely not an expert in modern colors, but I have never ever seen such a grey-green tone as the base color. Maybe these photos were touched by Photoshop - e.g. their contrast may have been enhanced, I don't know.

Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Phil,
Do you know any site or person that could give informations on this, please?

Nope, unfortunately not

I have asked a couple of my friends - nobody has ever heard of this base color. + Checked akan.ru - this manufacturer is well known for its authentic colors - same result.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:07 PM UTC
Thank you all the same, Phil.
I had contacts with Mr. Akanihin years ago, but the quality of automatic translation was bad and it was very difficult to understand each other.
Regards
Massimo
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 06:12 AM UTC
If any of you can find the correct modern Russian green in here, let me know.

Tank Depot at Kharkov plant
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If any of you can find the correct modern Russian green in here, let me know.

Tank Depot at Kharkov plant

Always brings a small tear to my eye when I see photos like that. Just something sad about them...
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:06 AM UTC
Just a reply to bring this back up to the top with a few colors to consider...
After picking up a couple of paints for another project, I just noticed that they happened to look almost "right" for some of the Soviet/Russian greens.
One is Model Master 2090 (RLM 81), which appears to be close to the XB 518 on the referenced Ammo/Mig chart(painted spoons), and another is Model Master 2106 (French Khaki), for ZIS 508 on the same chart. One other paint might even be a match for the chart's "Protective Green" - MM 2081 (RLM 71).
Knowing MM's history of names having an almost accidental correspondence with an intended color, I usually paint the caps then go by what a paint looks like cured. These three paints struck me as possible matches.
Taking into account MM's "consistency" from bottle to bottle, variations in monitors, and color reproduction on the chart .PDF file, I could be pretty far off. I also don't have current access to the actual Ammo paints for comparison.
I'm just putting this out as a possible starting point that maybe someone more "in the know" can expand upon.
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 05:41 PM UTC
My 50/50 mix of those Tamiya(XF-49 and XF-58) colors came out a shade of OD.Is that correct color?
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:02 PM UTC
Would anyone care to comment on how close I got things?

Kimmo

Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would anyone care to comment on how close I got things?

Hi Kimmo,

i think your yellow-green is nearly perfect, 4BO is great, but dark brown should be less dark and more brown.

Take a look at this picture. The model itself is awful, but colors are pretty authentic. The best (unfaded) appearance are:

- 4BO - on the right (vertical) side of the gun mantlet

- yellow-green - large spot "under" the "1"

- brown - large butterfly-like spot on the right side of the turret.

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
Thanks Phil. Had a hard trying to figure out the brown, and according to the 4BO site this was the best FS match. Probably too much red in the base. I felt burnt umber was too muddy on its own. The yellow was a best guess, it looks nothing like the swatch at Akan, which is tan. No yellow or green at all.

Kimmo
lentorpe
Visit this Community
Alava, Spain / España
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, specially for the Tamiya recipe!
lentorpe
Visit this Community
Alava, Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi Phil,
I would like to ask you about Tamiya XF-81 (RAF Dark Green 2) as a straight-from-the-bottle alternative for 4B0. I have only tried the very unscientific method of eyeballing the bottle butts at my local hobby shop but it seems as a decent approximation to 50% XF49 + XF58. ¿Any comments?
Greetings.
Onkos1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
There's only ONE proper colour for russian green.
Pick which one you like

P.s. I love this sort of questions on the forums...
lentorpe
Visit this Community
Alava, Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hahaha... I think I saw that photoset just the other day, if I remember correctly it was an Ukrainian depot where near 400 tanks had been rotting for years. I like your anarchist approach. Go further with it. Why restrain it to colour? After all, the same goes for solid matter. Look at ANY two different photos of T-55s supposedly of the same model and in the same army; you will always find differences between them, different equipment and so, and also between them and what that particular model and sub-type in that particular national service is supposed to be.

I always understood that unless modelling what-ifs, one should care a bit about what he glues and how he paints it. I am not talking about getting obsessed with accuracy (that DOES kill the fun, or at least my fun) but simply trying to make it credible. I, for instance, try to avoid the so commonly seen image of a T-34 beautifully painted in a parrot-green shade. (Even if there is somewhere some graphic evidence of Russian Tanks painted parrot green, or frog green or such.)
Onkos1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thank you
 _GOTOTOP