_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on flak 88
pvtfritz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC
I need info about the air supply on the bogies. Did the air go to the brakes or go thru to the second bogie? I know the flak 18 had air brakes but I can't find it on flak 36. Hope this makes sense Thanks Fred
pvtfritz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 02:20 AM UTC
hi all. I just came back from palm springs calf. they have an 88 mm out front and I took a few pics from underside of the bogies. It looks to me as if the air goes from the vehicle (tow vehicle) then goes thru the first bogie then thru the cruciform
then into the second bogie. It looks to me as though the air in the air tanks is just for filling air into the tires on the bogies. There are no air brakes on the bogies. Thanks, Fred
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 02:06 AM UTC
From what I read on line, the Flak 36 had both, service brakes and a hand brake system. This makes perfect sense, as it would be near impossible to control a towed load as heavy as the 88 without service brakes. The hand brakes were only used when the gun wasn't being towed, or if it was fired from the bogies. It does look like the systems were only hooked up on one axle of each bogie. The small air tanks you mentioned are designed to ensure the air pressure going to the brakes didn't fluctuate, eliminating pulsation.
pvtfritz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
AFV FAN thanks for your answer.sorry for taking so long to reply but still not quite satisfied with the workings .thanks again FRED
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi Fred
Have you thought about looking in at Armortek - http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewforum.php?f=9 - they have some amazing builds of the 88 - in 1/6th

Mal
pvtfritz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC
Mal thanks so much for that site. my wife had to come into the front room to see if I was alive. I was on it for 3 hrs and it was great. It is a very good site and thanks again. Fred
pvtfritz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi all! I've seen how many viewers have looked at this question but not many definitive answer. So, I think I'm going to put it to bed (for myself) that there are no air brakes on the bogies. Thanks, Fred.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC
The SdAnh 202 bogies definitely had air brakes -- that's why the Flak 36, Flak 37 and Flak 41, all of which used the SdAnh 202 bogies, had air line "glad hands" connectors. I can't imagine why both bogies wouldn't be linked too. If only one bogie needed air, then why the linkage through the cruciform of the gun? It only goes to reason that both were piped for air brakes.

Remember, the SdAnh 201 of the older Flak 18 had them -- it's not as if they wouldn't be needed in the newer SdAnh 202s.
pvtfritz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC
Roy hello I don't see any air cylinders on the brake backing plates to activate the brakes. air to the air valve (under springs)to fill the lower tanks which also fill the upper ones.than goes to the other bogie.the e/b is pulled back pulling the springs rearward to engage the lever to apply the brakes. also the two small rings on the front of the bogie is for dumping the air out of the tanks. thank you for your opinion. hope this makes sense. Fred
 _GOTOTOP